This will take you to the main site where there is history, technical information and other information on these cars.
This takes you back to the main page of the forums.
This is the control panel to change your password, information and preferences on this message board.
Click here if your lost your password or need to register on this message board. You must be a registered user to post. Registration is free.
Search this board for information you need.
Click here to buy cool Squarebirds mechandise.
Click here to support Squarebirds.org. For $20 annually receive 20mBytes webspace, a Squarebirds e-mail address and member's icon on the message board.
Old 12-26-2013, 05:06 PM

Tedstehr is on a distinguished road
Default Meet my survivor

Hello all!
I thought I would share my story of a 1962 T-Bird survivor. Recently, a friend asked me to help her brother take care of some cars/trucks he desperately needed to move from his long time apartment parking. Imagine my surprise when I found a 1962 T-Bird that has not run since 1984! I was just out of high school in 1984! We towed it to my place and I started looking it over. There several issues, but really didn't take too long to get running again. I replace the water and fuel pump, cleaned and rebuilt the carb and replaced some water and vacuum hoses. Unfortunately it lost reverse, but other than that seems to start and run better each time I start it. I am sure everyone will want to see pictures. I also have some videos - you can see them here.

http://photobucket.com/albums/t583/Ted_Stehr/62 T Bird

Here are a few photos:

http://photobucket.com/albums/t583/Ted_Stehr

By the way, I am in Vancouver, BC. We don't get a lot of snow here so there isn't much salt. But the humid air in the winter can cause issues like chrome pitting.

Finally, I need to decide whether to sell it for him or keep it. I am thinking it is a once in a lifetime opportunity.

Thanks for this great resource!
Old 12-27-2013, 04:07 AM
Slow Typist

simplyconnected is on a distinguished road

Welcome to Squarebirds.org, Ted. I looked at your videos and I have to admit, the car looks VERY good.

I don't understand if you will buy this car or if you are helping someone else. If you have the means to buy and store this beautiful garage find, by all means do it.

Chrome, paint, soft interior parts, rubber, and plastic lenses all deteriorate somewhat but they are also available at many of our parts vendors. Non-reproduced chrome parts can be re-chromed to look even better than new. It only takes money.

If you are to own this car, congratulations on a great car that will turn heads as you cruise around any town.

BTW, I hope Vancouver Canucks's Roberto Luongo comes back soon after that glorious 2-1 win over the Winnipeg Jets. The Wings have some sorting out to do here in Detroit. - Dave

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
--Lee Iacocca
Old 12-27-2013, 12:22 PM
Excellent Auto Mechanic for over 40 years.

jopizz is on a distinguished road

It looks to be in surprisingly good condition. I don't even see any cracks or sags in the dash pad which usually always go bad. As for losing reverse it may just need the filter cleaned and fresh fluid put in. Also the vacuum modulator may have gone bad or the vacuum line feeding it may have deteriorated. If you are into classic cars that looks to be a great candidate to restore. I hope you decide to keep it.

John

Thunderbird Registry #36223
jopizz@verizon.net 856-779-9695

http://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm
Old 12-27-2013, 02:27 PM

Default Survivor Guilt

Thanks John and Dave.
I have an option to buy - probably about $2000. It should be an easy decision, but a few things complicate it. Earlier this year I bought a beater 58 Chev Panel. I put a lot of time and money into it and it is now a great runner and fun to drive around. But it was nowhere near what this car is - and frankly never will be.
The problem is I don't have a good place to work on it - only a carport with a asphalt floor that is not level or flat. I was a mechanic back in the 80s so the technical part is ok, but, obviously, I don't want it to rust away.
So I need to sell the Panel at a decent price to fund this, and come up with a storage option.

Thanks again for your input. John, I will drop the pan today and see if I can resurrect reverse!

Ted
Old 12-27-2013, 02:32 PM

Default Transmission

By the way John, I read an earlier thread you posted and did check the modulator. I pumped a vacuum gauge on it and it held. I replaced the hose to be safe. It was in reverse under load when it went, so I am thinking it is not the rear servo. I also have first gear, so I don't think it is the servo or band. But you know how it is - speculation runs wild until you take the pan off!
Old 12-27-2013, 06:06 PM
Slow Typist

simplyconnected is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tedstehr View Post
...speculation runs wild until you take the pan off!
Ain't that the truth. You may find something easy to fix after agonizing over it for weeks. - Dave

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
--Lee Iacocca