This will take you to the main site where there is history, technical information and other information on these cars.
This takes you back to the main page of the forums.
This is the control panel to change your password, information and preferences on this message board.
Click here if your lost your password or need to register on this message board. You must be a registered user to post. Registration is free.
Search this board for information you need.
Click here to buy cool Squarebirds mechandise.
Click here to support Squarebirds.org. For $20 annually receive 20mBytes webspace, a Squarebirds e-mail address and member's icon on the message board.
Old 10-24-2013, 10:03 PM
tommy cruise

tommy cruise is on a distinguished road
Default 59 t-bird differential

Hi All, I want to put a trac-lok unit in my rear. I was told they have a 28 spline, can anyone confirm that, also does anyone know if they had 2-7/8 or the lg 3-1/16 carrier bearings. I would like to order one but not going to put in until the spring. The car is put away for winter, so I am unable to pull apart to actually see what I have. Thanks for any information. Tommy"
Old 10-25-2013, 04:53 PM
Apprentice

cdhowell is on a distinguished road

Unless you are the original owner and know nothing has changed then no. Should be 28 spline small bearing.
Old 10-25-2013, 07:15 PM
tommy cruise

Default 1959 differential

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdhowell View Post
Unless you are the original owner and know nothing has changed then no. Should be 28 spline small bearing.
Hi cdhowel, I'm not original owner so you are correct it could have been changed. I did check ratio with code and that was right on. Now it does have the 3 chamfered holes on outside of axle, I know that 67 & up that's a 31 and axle with center cut out is 28, but I have been told that it doesn't apply to before 67 and that 59 bird stock is 28. I just didn't want to pull it out of winter storage and pull axle. It all looks original but as you said over the years anything is possible. Thanks for your help Tommy"
Old 10-25-2013, 07:30 PM
Super-Experienced

Dakota Boy is on a distinguished road

I was hopeful too that I had 31-spline axles because of the markings on the outboard ends of the axles, but when I pulled them they were 28-spline items.
Old 10-25-2013, 07:47 PM
tommy cruise

Default 1959 differential

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakota Boy View Post
I was hopeful too that I had 31-spline axles because of the markings on the outboard ends of the axles, but when I pulled them they were 28-spline items.
Hi Dakota, did you also have the three chamfered holes. Does anyone know if they ever had 31 spline stock. Everyone I have spoke to said they are 28 spline and small bearing. Tommy"
Old 10-26-2013, 07:58 AM
Experienced

ncbird is on a distinguished road
Default info

The Mustang guys have put up some very usefull history and info on the Ford 9in. Look up kevinstang and ultrastang 9 inch. They answer a lot of the questions about the different 9 in and how to ID them. Interesting the 1960 Bird had the big bearing rear end. The easy way to identify the bearing size is by the size of the bolts holding the axle retainer.