This will take you to the main site where there is history, technical information and other information on these cars.
This takes you back to the main page of the forums.
This is the control panel to change your password, information and preferences on this message board.
Click here if your lost your password or need to register on this message board. You must be a registered user to post. Registration is free.
Search this board for information you need.
Click here to buy cool Squarebirds mechandise.
Click here to support Squarebirds.org. For $20 annually receive 20mBytes webspace, a Squarebirds e-mail address and member's icon on the message board.
Old 11-17-2012, 12:04 PM

Prostreet 60 Thunderstang is on a distinguished road
Question 57 windshield wiper information

hi does anyone have an exploded view diagram of a 57 thunderbird i bought a basket case 57 a while back and it came in lots of boxes . now that i am in the process of putting it back together i found out all the parts i need for the wiper linkage and related parts are missing and i have no idea what it looks like if its linkage or cables . i found one on e bay but im not sure if its the right one for it . i was wondering if anyone has an illistration of the original thanks for looking Bill
Old 11-17-2012, 02:38 PM
Super-Experienced

Joe Johnston is on a distinguished road
Default Wiper

Hope this helps.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg scan0005.jpg (117.6 KB, 74 views)
Old 11-18-2012, 09:42 PM
Apprentice

paul274854 is on a distinguished road

Get the 1955-57 Thunderbird Parts Illustrated manual. It shows all the various components of the early TBirds.

CTCI has the manual. Join CTCI if you haven't already - the magazine alone is worth it.
Old 01-26-2013, 02:37 PM

Doc Love is on a distinguished road

Has anyone changed over to electric wipers?

I see the kits advertised in various publications.
Old 01-26-2013, 03:17 PM
Super-Experienced

Joe Johnston is on a distinguished road

I have

(software wouldn't let me post that because it was less than 10 characters)
Old 01-27-2013, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Johnston View Post
I have

(software wouldn't let me post that because it was less than 10 characters)
Joe,

I few questions regarding the electric wiper conversion.

Was the kit complete? Who did you purchase it from? Did the installation go smoothly? Was the kit complete? Would you do it again?

I'm new to TBirds so pardon all the newbie questions.

Thanks.
Old 01-28-2013, 11:20 PM
Apprentice

paul274854 is on a distinguished road

If your not redoing the Bird for Concours, I recommend going with an electric unit. I also recommend the unit from New Port Engineering. With this kit, you use the factory switch. Either two speed or multispeed.
Old 01-29-2013, 05:43 AM
Slow Typist

simplyconnected is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul274854 View Post
If your not redoing the Bird for Concours, I recommend going with an electric unit. I also recommend the unit from New Port Engineering. With this kit, you use the factory switch. Either two speed or multispeed.
I totally agree. This is an area of 'safety' and it is hidden from view. I bought two New Port Eng., sets from JPL in Aliquippa, PA (724-375-3940). They also sell on eBay.

The reason I bought from them is cost; best prices and free shipping. The wiper kit comes drop-shipped from the factory. Make sure you order exactly what you need to avoid buying any options from the factory, and (of course) more shipping costs.

This setup is completely invisible and as said, you use your stock knob. For our '59 Galaxie, I bought the shaft extension and interval option. After installation, turning the knob gives Hi, Lo, and interval settings. Pushing the knob in, closes an electrical contact so you can use it on your own squirter motor.

Now the wipers work as well as a modern car, every time, and they are powerful. That old Trico vacuum unit was trash from the git as it slowed or stopped upon acceleration or climbing a mountain. - Dave

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
--Lee Iacocca
Old 05-13-2013, 12:21 PM

Default Electric Wiper Motor

This past weekend I replaced the OEM vacuum motor with an electric unit from Newport Engineering.

It was not what you would consider an easy task, but we finally got it finished.

The new motor mounts to the stock bracket but trying to get the left side screw installed was nearly impossible. I finally threaded the provided screw into the motor mount from the opposite side and added a nut to secure it. The right side went in without drama.

The electrical install was straight forward enough and the switch that came with the kit worked well. We were able to use the stock switch knob and bezel so looking at it one would never know the conversion took place. The wipers work fine, two speeds and they park as advertised.

Is there a market for the old vacuum motor?