This will take you to the main site where there is history, technical information and other information on these cars.
This takes you back to the main page of the forums.
This is the control panel to change your password, information and preferences on this message board.
Click here if your lost your password or need to register on this message board. You must be a registered user to post. Registration is free.
Search this board for information you need.
Click here to buy cool Squarebirds mechandise.
Click here to support Squarebirds.org. For $20 annually receive 20mBytes webspace, a Squarebirds e-mail address and member's icon on the message board.
Old 04-08-2012, 01:58 PM
Experienced

NYsquarebird58 is on a distinguished road
Default Dual Master Cylinder with drum brakes.

I have a Ď60 with power drum brakes (booster on the firewall).Can I replace just my master cylinder with a duel master cylinder?

I will be doing the disk brake conversion up front in the future, but I busted a hard line and I figured while redoing all the brake lines, I should change over to a dual master cylinder setup for added protection.

Old 04-08-2012, 04:56 PM
KULTULZ

You would have to find a drum/drum dual reservoir MC (rebuilt) from a 66/ FORD or possibly later MAVERICK. They were available manual or power.
Old 04-08-2012, 06:17 PM
Experienced

Jimz Bird is on a distinguished road

Just curious, could a disc/drum MC be used? The one chamber would be larger but would that be a problem? If it could be used that would save buying another one when doing the disc conversion.

Also on Manual and Power differences, it seems that most of the Power MCs have a very short pushrod chamber and the Manual MCs have one that is a lot deeper.

There are cautions about using a Power MC in place of a Manual - on the firewall - due to the chamber being short and the pushrod could fall off.

I'm guessing it is because most that have power brakes have the MC in the front of the booster. That is opposite some of the TBirds (all 55-57) and some of the Square Birds (Under dash booster I think - need others input on that) which have the booster after the MC.

CLICK HERE for Jimz web site
Old 04-08-2012, 07:46 PM
Tinkerer

Howard Prout is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimz Bird View Post
... That is opposite some of the TBirds (all 55-57) and some of the Square Birds (Under dash booster I think - need others input on that) which have the booster after the MC.
Squarebirds that have the Kelsey-Hayes booster have a tab on the brake pedal arm that presses on switch on the K-H booster that opens a valve and uses vacuum to pull on the brake pedal arm - power assist. The pushrod goes from the brake pedal arm to the MC. The K-H unit is off to the side. The MC for K-H power brake system has a 1-1/16" bore rather than a 1" bore for non-power brakes thereby requiring less travel but more pressure on the brake pedal, which is more than overcome by the power assist.
"Old Betsy" - my '59 convertible J9YJ116209 Thunderbird Registry #33341
Old 04-08-2012, 08:30 PM
Excellent Auto Mechanic for over 40 years.

jopizz is on a distinguished road

A dual M/C from a 67-68 Mustang should work. I would use a drum/drum M/C rather than a disc/drum since you have no proportioning valve.
Old 04-08-2012, 08:45 PM
Experienced

Thanks Howard. I understand it now.

Old 04-08-2012, 08:51 PM
Experienced

Quote:
Originally Posted by jopizz View Post
A dual M/C from a 67-68 Mustang should work. I would use a drum/drum M/C rather than a disc/drum since you have no proportioning valve.
Ahhhh, I think I have it now.

It is not just the bowl size but that the Disc/Drum MCs also "generally" have proportioning built into the rear circuit of that MC.

Close?

Old 04-09-2012, 08:25 AM
Super-Experienced

DKheld is on a distinguished road

Been there - done that - it wasn't pretty or safe looking IMHO. All the disc / drum master cyls I found only used 2 of the 4 bolts on the original booster. I bet there was a reason for using 4 smaller bolts rather than just 2 of them.

http://www.squarebirds.org/vbulletin...?t=5141&page=8

Get Booster Dewey to replace the face on your booster with a 2 bolt style or find a replacement and DIY. Pretty sure the '61-64 Lincoln booster face fits the standard Bendix under the hood booster - it looks identical - just haven't tried it. I think that's what Dewy uses. Grant has taken his booster apart and said it appears you could modify your own with the 2 bigger bolts then cap off the other 2.

X2 on the proportioning valve - I have one and don't have nay problems with nose dive or unbalanced pulling.

Eric

and BTW - I converted my car to discs in 2004............that's 8 years ago - still working fine.

Last edited by DKheld : 04-09-2012 at 08:29 AM.
Old 04-09-2012, 09:32 AM
Experienced

NYsquarebird58 is on a distinguished road

I thought it was going to be a simple affair; just swapping out the single MC for a dual MC. It looks like (for now) Iím going to repair the brake system as factory intended.

Right now I have no brakes. I need to get the car road worthy and safe by Jun, 10. I just canít swing the cash right now for the disk brake conversion, so that will have to wait until the winter time. At the moment, I donít trust any of the old brake components, so the brake lines, brake hoses, brake shoes, wheels cylinders, spring kits, and master cylinder are getting replaced.

The good news is that I have some new parts left over from the first T-Bird so that will bring the cost down a bit.

Iím having trouble finding a master cylinder on Rockauto. It lists all their master cylinders for my car as being for manual brake cars. I donít see why there would be a difference in the two .
Old 04-09-2012, 10:09 AM
Super-Experienced

GTE427 is on a distinguished road

The reason you are seeing the reference to Manual brakes is due to Ford specifications.

For Thunderbird model year 58 and 59 the Master Cylinder bore is listed as Conventional Brakes, 1" dia, Power Brakes 1.125" dia. By 1960, 1" dia was listed on both braking systems.

If you look at your Master Cylinder, the bore diameter is cast into the side of it, probably 1". That's the history as I know it, you will be fine with the MC listed for manual brakes as it's true to spec for your car.