This will take you to the main site where there is history, technical information and other information on these cars.
This takes you back to the main page of the forums.
This is the control panel to change your password, information and preferences on this message board.
Click here if your lost your password or need to register on this message board. You must be a registered user to post. Registration is free.
Search this board for information you need.
Click here to buy cool Squarebirds mechandise.
Click here to support Squarebirds.org. For $20 annually receive 20mBytes webspace, a Squarebirds e-mail address and member's icon on the message board.
Old 02-06-2012, 12:13 PM
Experienced

NYsquarebird58 is on a distinguished road
Default My new 1958 Coupe!

I wanted to take a moment to say hello, and introduce my newly acquired 58’ T-Bird.

This whole story started about 20 years ago when my uncle restored a 59 coupe. It was white on red with matching interior. I was about 10 years old at the time and was completely infatuated with the car. I remember visiting my aunt and uncle and spending hours just sitting in that car daydreaming… I will never forget how the interior of that car smelled…

Years passed, the T-Bird sold and I grew into real car guy, I’ve owned and restored several old cars; 67 Galexie, 67 Firedbird, 70 Buick GS and 71 Skylark, but I always had it in the back of my mind that one day I would own a squarebird.

Like most things in life that we look for, they tend to find us when we’re not looking. This past Thursday night I was perusing craigslist when I happen to come across the ad for this T-Bird. The ad was all of one sentence long with really bad pictures, but something told me to give it a shot. (maybe it was the $1000 OBO price tag) I contacted the owner and that Saturday afternoon I took the hour long ride up and picked up the Bird!

As you can see from the pic she needs allot of work. The body is fairly solid, but the floor and trunk pans will need to be replaced. She also doesn’t run and has no brakes. I managed to walk away paying $675 for her and the previous owner was happy that she was going to a good home.

Here I stand as the proud new owner just moments after finalizing the deal

Here I am checking for rust. The driver’s side inside rocker will need to be repaired, but the passenger side is solid. (Really not too bad for a North East car)

The seats look to have been redone a very long time ago with incorrect upholstery. There is some trim pieces missing and the radio and console speaker are missing.

I know these birds sit low and sit even lower as the springs age, but I have a feeling the springs were cut on this one.

I was happy that the bumpers were in pretty good shape – less work for the chromer.

Looks to have its original 352 and COM transmission. The odometer says 45,000 but who knows if that’s true. I’m a little disappointed that it didn’t have its air cleaner but I’m sure that can be sourced. Would any of you know if this air cleaner was also used on other Fords?

By the time the flat bed arrived to my house it was night, but the moon was bright so I decided to pull my tripod out and take this shot.

So that’s it so far. I’m glad to be part of the community and look forward to making new friends and to embark on this project. Any fellow squarebird owners in or around Westchester County, New York?

Last edited by NYsquarebird58 : 02-06-2012 at 05:45 PM.
Old 02-06-2012, 12:32 PM
Super-Experienced

tbird430 is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up

I agree, pretty solid looking northern car.

1960 style interior door panels & leather seat covers. The ride heigth looks close to stock on an original worn spring Bird IMO.

Congrats to you sir...

The 1960 Ford Thunderbird. The WORLD'S most wanted car....

VTCI Member#6287.
Old 02-06-2012, 12:34 PM
Experienced

lawyercalif is on a distinguished road

Congratulations on your purchase. You got a really good buy for the money you paid. The wheels look interesting, are they 14" or 15"? By the way if you want an original air cleaner I have one.
Old 02-06-2012, 12:50 PM
Super-Experienced

scumdog is on a distinguished road
Cool

Nice score!!!

Looks to have an after-market windscreen washer bottle - and an 'A-oogaah' horn!
Old 02-06-2012, 01:25 PM
Super-Experienced

keith is on a distinguished road

Looks good with that stance.

Good luck on your build.

CLICK HERE for Keith's web site
Old 02-06-2012, 02:02 PM
Excellent Auto Mechanic for over 40 years.

jopizz is on a distinguished road

Good luck with it. There aren't many '58's left here in the NE. The air cleaner was only used on 58-60 Thunderbirds, Edsels, and Lincolns. Maybe Mercury's too. It looks like a new dash pad which is a real plus. The door panel is from a '60 but looks to be in nice shape. It looks to have a VTCI sticker on it. Keep us posted on the progress.
Old 02-06-2012, 02:03 PM
Experienced

Restifier52 is on a distinguished road

Yay! Another one saved. Welcome to the community.

Rick
Thunderbird Registry #35780
Old 02-06-2012, 03:10 PM
Experienced

Astrowing is on a distinguished road

Welcome and we like those 58's! The bumpers look pretty good and the sheetmetal looks pretty good other than some of that iron oxide. The rear sits low because of the worn bushings on the rear coil suspension, unique to '58's. Someone did a lot of work on it, probably 20 years ago or more.

CLICK HERE for Jim's web site
Old 02-06-2012, 04:21 PM
Experienced

frank58 is on a distinguished road

The body and chrome look terrific.............the valve covers are not '58.
As you get into it we can certainly ID it from the casting numbers and date code. You sure got a great deal, I mean a REALLY GREAT DEAL!!! you should be very happy and welcome to Squarebirds.
Old 02-06-2012, 05:17 PM
Experienced

tp tbird is on a distinguished road
Default 58 bird

Looks like you got a petty good one to start on,good price now a days for one in that shape.Good luck with the resto.