View Single Post
Old 03-06-2012, 04:10 AM
Super-Experienced and a HELLOFA nice guy

YellowRose is on a distinguished road
Default Question Regarding Dog Dish Wheels

If you have 14" rims you will want five 14" vented disc brake ready rims which look like the one with the tape measure stuck in it. Why five? Well, if you have a flat on the front you want the spare to be a disc brake ready rim just like the one you are going to have to take off so it will fit. And when you rotate your tires, you want your back ones to be disc brake ready also. That tape measure, as I recall, shows 3 1/2" of depth on the back side.

I found mine at a local car parts yard. One of their employees and I went out and either pulled some of them off a disc brake equipped Ford car, to make sure we got the right rims, or out of their rim boneyard and compared them to what we just pulled off that disc brake equipped Ford. One of them I got out of the trunk of a '79 Lincoln Versailles and they are exactly what you are looking for IF you can still find a '77-'80 Versailles. Those of you who are Paid Members, look in the Members Conference Forum. I put a list of rims that I am told that are disc brake rims that will work on our Squarebirds.

Yes, those nubs are for holding dog dish hubcaps in place and you will want to make sure your rims have them if you are going to go the dog dish route as I did.

Ray Clark - Squarebirds Administrator
'59 Tbird "The Yellow Rose Of Texas" aka "Tweety Bird"
"It's Hip To Be Square"
Thunderbird Registry #33025 VTCI #11178

rayclark07"at"att.net (Home) 210-674-5781 (Cell) 210-875-1411
http://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm

Last edited by YellowRose : 03-06-2012 at 04:13 AM.