X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Rangoon
    • Jun 27 2013

Headliner repair??

Hello All,

I cannot find any info on how to repair, or at least mask a quarter size hole above the passenger sun visor. the PO let mice get into the car. (It smelled pretty bad when we first purchased) The car is a red 63 hardtop with black interior and the headliner is white. Other than this mouse hole the interior is nearly flawless.

Whenever my wife puts down the visor we are both reminded of the smelly varmints. any clever way to hide such a small blemish short of total replacement??

Any past experiences would be much appreciated!

Dale
  • Yadkin
    Banned
    • Aug 11 2012

Finding a matching fabric is the hard part. A shop that does auto upholstery probably has a scrap on the shelf. After that its just a sewing job.

If mice got in they likely left deposits in the insulation above the headliner. It is probably a wise investment to replace the whole thing.

Comment

• jopizz
      Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

I agree with Yadkin. If you remove the headliner the jute padding will most likely be loaded with mouse droppings. If you don't want to take it down you may be able to use a hair dryer to heat it enough where it will stretch and you can stitch the hole closed. You can also remove the front header piece, then remove the staples that hold the headliner in the front and sew the hole closed and then reattach the headliner with new staples.

John
      John Pizzi - Squarebirds Administrator

Thunderbird Registry #36223
      jopizz@squarebirds.org 856-779-9695

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm

Comment

• Rangoon
        • Jun 27 2013

Thanks for the replies. I know what you mean about the leavings of mice. However, there is not a trace of odor left now- so I am still reluctant to replace the whole thing. I could not figure out how to do a nice patch from the outside, but if we take it loose int he front from behind the trim, I may be able to do the stitches from the back side.

All we have locally is one furniture upholsterer, so a scrap is nearly impossible. Any suggestions of a source or reputable restorer who would sell a scrap of 1963 headliner?

I have a small Ford oval patch off of a uniform that i may try to glue over the hole. It is only visible when the visor is down. Thanks again.

Comment

Working...
        😀
        🥰
        🤢
        😎
        😡
        👍
        👎