X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • 430bird60
    Experienced
    • Dec 30 2008

lower ball joint shims

Any input is appreciated. When I removed the lower ball joint on my 60 there were two shims between the ball joint and the spindle. One is vinyl and the other is metal like a washer. My new ball joint did not come with these shims. My question, are these shims needed or not with the new ball joint? I am replacing both sides. Thanks for your help.
    Ken
  • simplyconnected
    Administrator
    • May 26 2009

Ken, that bothers me. I've never heard of any ball joint having shims. I mean, what's the purpose? A ball joint swivels in all directions and both "A" arms are independent.

I assume you removed replacement ball joints. OEMs are riveted and must be drilled out.

There are shims on the lower "A" arms' forward bushings, where it meets the frame members. That has little to do with ball joints. - Dave
    Member, Sons of the American Revolution

CLICK HERE to see my custom hydraulic roller 390 FE build.

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
    --Lee Iacocca

Comment

• 430bird60
      Experienced
      • Dec 30 2008

lower ball joint shims

Thanks for the reply. The removed ball joint is original as I had to remove rivets to get it off. I called the two parts shims when in fact they are washers. They definitely were between the ball joint and spindle. The vinyl one was on top of the ball joint, then the metal one and then the spindle. The ball joint on the other side is exactly the same and has not yet been removed.
      Ken

Comment

• simplyconnected
        Administrator
        • May 26 2009

I think I misunderstood where these shims are. At first I thought they were between the ball joint and the "A" arm. Now it makes sense. Yes, those are cupped shields that move around with the ball joint stud. They allow grease to be contained but they also keep dirt out.

Replacement ball joints should have the same parts. Name brand replacement joints always did. Any more, new ball joints are coming in from India and the orient, so what you see is what you get. If the old parts fit on the new, I would use them. - Dave
        Member, Sons of the American Revolution

CLICK HERE to see my custom hydraulic roller 390 FE build.

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
        --Lee Iacocca

Comment

Working...
        😀
        🥰
        🤢
        😎
        😡
        👍
        👎