X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • GTE427
    Super-Experienced
    • Oct 9 2007

Starter Drive, lever type starter/153 tooth flywheel

Came across this article to use the newer style lever type starter with the original 153 tooth flywheel. John Vermeersch of Michigan Total Performance has a solution, a Bendix drive that allows the interface between the two.
    This appears to be a game changer.

Last edited by GTE427; July 18, 2017, 01:18 PM.
    Ken
    1959 J Convertible
    1960 J Hardtop
  • jopizz
    Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

Ken,

Thanks for the article. That should help anyone who needs a new starter or bendix but either can't locate the older style or wants to save a little money. I'll see if Ray can add this to the TRL.

John
    John Pizzi - Squarebirds Administrator

Thunderbird Registry #36223
    jopizz@squarebirds.org 856-779-9695

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm

Comment

• GTE427
      Super-Experienced
      • Oct 9 2007

John,

Great. Do you know if the newer starters are compatible with the 430 engines?
      Ken
      1959 J Convertible
      1960 J Hardtop

Comment

• jopizz
        Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

430's use the same starter as 352's so there's no reason why the newer starter shouldn't bolt up as well. I know Lincoln 430's use the later starter.

John

Comment

• YellowRose
          Super-Experienced

• Jan 21 2008

Done! Added to TRL under Starters, and to the Advertisements Forum under Total Performance Parts Co.

Ray Clark - Squarebirds Administrator
          The Terminator..... VTCI #11178 ITC #6000 Yellow Mustang Registry (YMR) #12188
          Contact me via Private Message for my email address, or Call (Cell) 210-875-1411

Faye's Ovarian Cancer Memorial Website.
          https://faye.rayclark.info/index.html

Comment

• Tbird1044
            Super-Experienced
            • Jul 31 2012

That's a great article and great find to what appears to be an easy upgrade. Thank you.
            Nyles

Comment

• jopizz
              Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

Not only is it a cheaper alternative but the new style starters are much easier to install.

John

Comment

• p38fighter
                Super-Experienced
                • Oct 14 2016

1959 convertible

So can we make it even easier by posting part numbers for the later starter? I love the fix!!!

Comment

• jopizz
                  Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

Unfortunately there are dozens of different part numbers as multiple companies manufacture or remanufacture that starter. It was used from the early 60's up to the late 70's in Ford, Mercury and Lincoln vehicles. The easiest thing to do is to look up a starter for a 1965 Thunderbird. That will give you the correct one.

John

Comment

• del
                    Retired Expert Enthusiast
                    • May 11 2010

Has anyone had any luck contacting this company about the recommended bendix part C5A-11350-TP? Thought this might be a good addition to my emergency kit, along with fan belts, brake light switch...

I tried but haven't had any success. Got on their voice mail this afternoon, no call back yet. Tried the Facebook link that Ray posted in the Advertisers forum but that wouldn't open for me. Tried their ebay page but the part isn't listed. Tried a general google search on the part# but only came up with orig HotRod article. Any other ideas appreciated.
                    Regards,
                    Don Vincent
                    Amherst NY
                    1960 HT 352
                    TBird Registry 34042

Comment

• YellowRose
                      Super-Experienced

• Jan 21 2008

Hi Del, when I called John, I also had to leave a voice message to him. He called me back around this time or a bit later that day. I had caught him out, apparently. We had a good conversation. Hopefully, you will hear back from him soon.

Contact me via Private Message for my email address, or Call (Cell) 210-875-1411

Comment

• simplyconnected
                        Administrator
                        • May 26 2009

Elaine and John Vermeersch are good friends of mine. John also runs the Galaxie Club of Michigan. (I have one.) John is also very alive on the FE Forum.

This part number (C5A-11350-TP) is concocted, evidenced by the 'Total Performance' suffix which is John's company. The gear is not a Ford part but something that was adapted from original parts and are now selling for $24.95.

The article serves two purposes:
                        • It announces the new part and it's intended use,
                        • It shows how a 'store-bought' starter motor must be adapted using the new gear.

Since both the OEM and John's new Bendix gears are both 9-tooth, I'm guessing he simply cut one down and cleaned up the teeth. I will call John's cell phone tomorrow and get more particulars. What specific questions would you like answered?

The Bulldozer starter LOOKS the same as FE motors but the terminal post is moved because the exhaust manifold hits it. For this reason, I doubt the 'new' starter motor will fit a MEL 430. This starter has a big solenoid sticking out the side. Look at the pictures in John's article where both motors are sitting side-by-side and determine if the solenoid would interfere with your 430. - Dave
                        Member, Sons of the American Revolution

CLICK HERE to see my custom hydraulic roller 390 FE build.

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
                        --Lee Iacocca

Comment

• jopizz
                          Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

Originally posted by simplyconnected
                          The Bulldozer starter LOOKS the same as FE motors but the terminal post is moved because the exhaust manifold hits it. For this reason, I doubt the 'new' starter motor will fit a MEL 430. This starter has a big solenoid sticking out the side. Look at the pictures in John's article where both motors are sitting side-by-side and determine if the solenoid would interfere with your 430. - Dave
                          According to the Lincoln Parts book and also what is listed on Rock Auto, Lincoln 430's began using the the later starter in 1961 up to 1965. The part number is the same as what is used on the FE's.

John

Comment

• simplyconnected
                            Administrator
                            • May 26 2009

Originally posted by jopizz
                            According to the Lincoln Parts book and also what is listed on Rock Auto, Lincoln 430's began using the the later starter in 1961 up to 1965. The part number is the same as what is used on the FE's.

John
                            Ok, but I thought we were talking about a Squarebird retrofit. If the 1961 starter fits a 430 Squarebird, why don't the books say so? I would LOVE for this information to be true for the SB but test the waters before jumping in. - Dave
                            Member, Sons of the American Revolution

CLICK HERE to see my custom hydraulic roller 390 FE build.

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
                            --Lee Iacocca

Comment

• YellowRose
                              Super-Experienced

• Jan 21 2008

It is a small world! Who wudda thunk that Dave would be good friends with John! I am glad you are. It is just as Dave said, is my understanding. That John cut one down, and cleaned up the teeth and now you have a starter that is what we need to replace that OEM one... I love the idea of being able to put a spare in the glove box or in the trunk, for emergencies when you need it. Or replace that OEM one all together. I am sure Dave will have more particulars after he talks with John...

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎