X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ramos291
    Apprentice
    • Sep 18 2014

light bulb chart

I didnt see in the Tech area anything regarding what light bulbs are used in these old birds. I am wanting to switch to LED but not sure what to replace them with. I thought a bulb chart would help by giving base/bulb/or part numbers to use for conversions to LED. This would be for a 61 but information for all would be nice for others.
  • Dan Leavens
    Moderator / Administrator

• Oct 4 2006

Randy hopefully our Webmaster Dave Dare will see your post and chime in as he is very experienced in this area.
    Dano Calgary,Alberta Canada
    Thunderbird Registry
    58HT #33317
    60 HT (Sold )

Comment

• simplyconnected
      Administrator
      • May 26 2009

You don't say what area you want to replace your bulbs. Are you talking about the dash? Rear or front 1157 bulbs (Turn/Stop)?

Each area is designed to run incandescent bulbs. Your dash uses a dimmer that will not work well with LEDs, unless you want them on full brightness all the time.

Your Turn Signal Flasher Unit is designed for two bulbs and a dash light in order to flash at the right rate. Yes, you can use resistors to 'dump' current to ground in order for the LEDs to flash properly.

Some replacement LED 1157s shine with the same brilliance whether you have parking lights or turn signal lights on. This is a problem I solved by adding resistors to the parking light side.

So, depending on the application AND the bulbs you buy, there is a huge difference. It's not a simple swap. You can go through it if you really want LEDs but have a meter ready and some resistors on hand. - Dave
      Member, Sons of the American Revolution

CLICK HERE to see my custom hydraulic roller 390 FE build.

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
      --Lee Iacocca

Comment

• YellowRose
        Super-Experienced

• Jan 21 2008

light bulb chart

My '59 Service/Shop Manual has a light bulb chart in it. I would think your Bulletbird Shop Manual would also.. If you do not own one, you should consider buying one. Most the Tbird parts houses have them.

Ray Clark - Squarebirds Administrator
        The Terminator..... VTCI #11178 ITC #6000 Yellow Mustang Registry (YMR) #12188
        Contact me via Private Message for my email address, or Call (Cell) 210-875-1411

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm
        Faye's Ovarian Cancer Memorial Website.
        https://faye.rayclark.info/index.html

Comment

• simplyconnected
          Administrator
          • May 26 2009

LED tryout...

Click on the picture..
          Member, Sons of the American Revolution

CLICK HERE to see my custom hydraulic roller 390 FE build.

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
          --Lee Iacocca

Comment

Working...
          😀
          🥰
          🤢
          😎
          😡
          👍
          👎