• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • dgs
    Super-Experienced
    • Feb 13 2003

Seat Foam

Howdy,

I'm trying to find a cheap way to spruce up my tired leather seats. They are very cracked and splitting at the seams. Doing them right is going to cost me just over $2,000 for new leather and foam. I just don't have that kind of dough now. I'm hoping to just get to having seats that are reasonably presentable and allow me to continue to enjoy the car.

I bought a new rear seat cover from a guy here who had an extra that came when he bought his car. I'm searching for used front covers, but haven't found any yet.

My biggest question is the foam. One person has told me that the 46 year old foam is going to disintegrate if I take the old leather off and I won't be able to re-use them. Is that absolutely true, or is there a reasonable possibility of re-using the old foam? If there's no way, then I'm just going to have to live with what I've got and sit gently. :P
    DGS (aka salguod)
    1960 Convertible - Raven Black, Red leather
    www.salguod.net
  • byersmtrco
    Super-Experienced
    • Sep 28 2004

RE: Seat Foam

An uphol/guy can re-pad them (and re-stitch them) Prob run you 250-300 for both ???????? I just got a quote on that.

Comment

• dgs
      Super-Experienced
      • Feb 13 2003

[em]An uphol/guy can re-pad them (and re-stitch them) Prob run you 250-300 for both ???????? I just got a quote on that.[/em]

I'm not sure what you mean by 're-pad', can you clarify? I'm doubtful they can just be restitched as well, but it's worth visiting an upholstery shop I guess. The seams are separated by 1/2" or more in spots. By 'both', do you mean both fronts or both front and back?

DGS (aka salguod)
      www.salguod.net

Comment

They usually take the seat covers off.......cut pieces of foam to "build up" your old foam.......then restitch the seat cover seams. If they are leather they can be "reconditioned" and dyed if needed. (Ive seen many an old baseball glove brought back to life) The fixed covers are then slipped back over the newly padded foam and BINGO......nice looking seats. As long as there are no rips in the leather your ok......vinyl seats if ripped can be repaired....and dyed if needed.

Comment

• dgs
          Super-Experienced
          • Feb 13 2003

Hmm. Seeing these I'd be surprised if they can be fixed, but I'll find a shop and have 'em looked at. Maybe not until spring. I do have a small rip in the driver's seat, though, so that one's shot.
          DGS (aka salguod)
          www.salguod.net

Comment

Working...
          😀
          🥰
          🤢
          😎
          😡
          👍
          👎