X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • RSS Robot
    The Source
    • Jan 29 2007

Hyundai Genesis, Ford F-150 win North American Car and Truck of the Year

Filed under: Detroit Auto Show, Sedans/Saloons, Trucks/Pickups, Ford, Hyundai

Like an automotive continuation of the BCS bowls, winners were crowned for the 16th North American Car of the Year and North American Truck of the Year awards at the Detroit Auto Show this morning. Voted on by 50 automotive journalists in various media from the U.S. and Canada (where's Mexico?), winners took home a bit of brand polish and a big lump of crystal.

The award selects "the most outstanding vehicles of the year based on factors that include innovation, design, safety, handling, driver satisfaction and value for the dollar." For a shot at the title, eligible vehicles must be "all-new" or "substantially changed" from the previous model.

Taking the monogrammed plaque in the car category was the Hyundai Genesis, beating back two other finalists, the Volkswagen Jetta TDI and the Ford Flex. It's the first time a diesel has been a finalist, and it was only beat by a car that is gathering plaudits everywhere and for everything.

The truck field was narrowed down to the Ford F-150, Dodge Ram, and Mercedes ML320 BlueTEC. With the highest available towing capacity, the highest payload capacity, and class-tying fuel economy -- not to mention being the best selling vehicle for more than three decades -- it's no wonder who won.Hyundai Genesis, Ford F-150 win North American Car and Truck of the Year originally appeared on Autoblog on Sun, 11 Jan 2009 10:17:00 EST. Please see our terms for use of feeds.

Permalink | Email this | Comments

More...
  • SandyBoy
    Super-Experienced
    • Oct 31 2002

Funday

I priced the top model Genesis with all the options. Over Forty big ones.
    Sorry, but I am of the old school and will not spend over forty thou for a Hyundai. For less than one thou more I cn have a Dodge Charger SRT-8 (over)Loaded with toys, or a low mileage 18 month old Cadillac DTS, or a new Impala SS with change enough for a week in Florida.

People spending 40 big ones (or more) on a car, do not want to reply to their friends "HYUNDAI" when asked what kinda car they bought, (when they spent 40+ for it!) In the public's mind....Hyundai = cheap.

The window sticker of the V-8 Genesis with the optional Technology Package is $42,000 !

Before that car, I'd go for either a Pontiac G8 GT or a Dodge Charger SRT8 (or R/T) or even an Impala SS or for $5,000 less an overloaded with every feature available Grand Marquis Merc.
    Cars for people over 5" 11" tall and over 215 pounds.
    Last edited by SandyBoy; January 11, 2009, 11:41 AM.

Comment

• Anders
      Super-Experienced
      • Jan 19 2008

I donīt get it. Judge by the label?
      This one also looks STUNNING!
      sigpic..."Lil darling Ruth":)
      http://www.tbirdregistry.com/#33158

Comment

• SandyBoy
        Super-Experienced
        • Oct 31 2002

Hyundai came to America marketing VERY entry-level (Read: CHEAP) cars.
        They contined so for many years. In the public's mind, they still are just that. An alternative to a used car. If a person is spending over $40,000 for a new car, they don't want to drive a Hyundai ! If they wanted to enter an upscale marquis market, they should have made an upscale DIVISION, such as Nissan did with Infiniti or as Toyota did with Lexus, or as Honda did with Acura. When someone says that they purchased an Acura, MOST people do NOT mentally think ... "Oh, a Honda" Ditto Toyo with Lixi or Nissan with Infiniti. Buyers wanting foreign, for THAT same $42,000 can find more prestiege in a Volvo S40, or a Saab or an Infiniti G35, and tell their associates they bought a Volvo, Saab or Infiniti (instead of a Hyundai.)
        Last edited by SandyBoy; January 11, 2009, 03:56 PM.

Comment

• Anders
          Super-Experienced
          • Jan 19 2008

Originally posted by SandyBoy
          Hyundai came to America marketing VERY entry-level (Read: CHEAP) cars.
          They contined so for many years. In the public's mind, they still are just that. An alternative to a used car. If a person is spending over $40,000 for a new car, they don't want to drive a Hyundai ! If they wanted to enter an upscale marquis market, they should have made an upscale DIVISION, such as Nissan did with Infiniti or as Toyota did with Lexus, or as Honda did with Acura. When someone says that they purchased an Acura, MOST people do NT mentally think ... "Oh, a Honda" Ditto Toyo with Lixi or Nissan with Infiniti. Buyers wanting foreign, for THAT same $42,000 can find more prestiege in a Volvo S40, or a Saab or an Infiniti G35, and tell their associates they bought a Volvo, Saab or Infiniti (instead of a Hyundai.)
          Well, they did what the Japaneese use to do. Go in cheap, give people HIGH value for the money, and upgrade into REAL premium.
          If Ford, Chrysler and GM did the same, there problems would be far less than today.
          Last edited by Anders; January 11, 2009, 04:00 PM.
          sigpic..."Lil darling Ruth":)
          http://www.tbirdregistry.com/#33158

Comment

• SandyBoy
            Super-Experienced
            • Oct 31 2002

Yes, but they are coming to the "party" late, with all the other brands very well established. But.....then again.....the public is very fickle, and most new car buyers look at 3 or 4 different cars before buying, and THAT hardly scratches the surface, these days....You can never 2nd guess the buying public....so, who knows, really. I can only speak for myself.
            The only brands that I would consider would be
            GM, Ford, Chrysler, Volvo, Saab, Jaguar or Audi. Those are the ones
            I like the best, based upon many many many reasons.....

Comment

Working...
            😀
            🥰
            🤢
            😎
            😡
            👍
            👎