No announcement yet.

63 Tbird, No Reverse

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

63 Tbird, No Reverse

Car had been running fine. Got in it this morning and no reverse, when put in reverse it shook all over like in between gears,now when in neutral it goes forward and even when I give it the gas in park it will lunge forward before it dies.
  • jopizz
    Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

First I would check the vacuum modulator. A vacuum leak or a bad modulator can cause some of these types of problems.

John
    John Pizzi - Squarebirds Administrator

Thunderbird Registry #36223
    jopizz@squarebirds.org 856-779-9695

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm

Comment

no reverse

OK it seems to be stuck in drive,I can move lever to any position and car goes forward even in park! It is connected and moves through complete gear range at transmission.

Comment

Rebuilt this tranny,now goes in reverse fine,but barely goes in forward gears! What could be the problem?
        I read somewhere that if rebuilt with new parts I should use dexron instead of type F
        I filled mine with type F,could this be the problem?
        Last edited by Guest; June 1, 2013, 07:41 AM.

Comment

• jopizz
          Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

I've had both Dexron and Type F in my trans and it shifts fine with both. I doubt that's your problem. Did you drain your torque converter. It usually takes awhile for it to refill where it will shift correctly. If it's not that then something wasn't put back correctly. Are you sure you have vacuum to the modulator.

John
          John Pizzi - Squarebirds Administrator

Thunderbird Registry #36223
          jopizz@squarebirds.org 856-779-9695

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm

Comment

• scumdog
            Super-Experienced

• May 12 2006

Have you put in the correct amount of ATF?

It almost sound like low fluid symptoms.
            A Thunderbirder from the Land of the Long White Cloud.

Comment

• KULTULZ

TYPE F ATF can be interchanged with DEXRON ATF with no adverse effects other than a more firm shift. Depends on whether you want a comfort ride or a more performance feel.

What you cannot do however is introduce DEXRON into a TYPE F transmission (defined by friction materials used) unless the transmission has been rebuilt using more modern friction materials (non-asbestos).

It sounds as though you have an internal fluid flow problem if all of the shift linkages are adjusted correctly and in serviceable condition.

Comment

63 tbird no forward,just reverse

Not sure if clutch plates were Nos or new reproduction and no I didn't drain converter,just added type F fluid .

Comment

Working...
                😀
                🥰
                🤢
                😎
                😡
                👍
                👎