Alright here's what I've done w/ my electrical system on my 59:
    - Rebuilt generator.
    - Rebuilt starter.
    - New starter solenoid.
    - Brand new voltage reg.
    - New res. coil.
    - New plugs/wires.
    - 1 year old battery.
    - Probably some other things I cant remember now.

So, here's the problem: my car wont hold a charge. At all. Any time I want to drive it, I have to jump it off, which it has no problem doing. I've got the whole lights dimming at low RPM's thing going. After about 1 hour of driving, I can turn the car off, and try to start it again, at which point it will turn over a couple of times and then I get nothing but the grind of the starter. This is REALLY frustrating!

I have this suspicion that its my voltage regulator. I may not even have the right wires on the correct posts. So, would someone tell me (in order from top to bottom) which wires go where on that thing?

And any other help is greatly appreciated. Thanx guys!
  • Alexander
    Webmaster
    • Oct 30 2002

RE: Help me fix my electrical! =(

Your generator might still not be giving a charge. Was it polarized? To polarize the generator, momentarily touch the Field Wire (Black - White Band) to the Battery Wire (Yellow) at the voltage regulator. Disconnect both wires first.

The connections at the voltage regulator:

Ground: Black -Red Band
    Armature: Yellow - Black Band
    Field: Black - White Band
    Battery: Yellow

Alexander
    1959 Hardtop
    1960 Golde Top
    Alexander
    1959 Hard Top
    1960 Golde Top
    sigpic

Comment

• byersmtrco
      Super-Experienced
      • Sep 28 2004

After you do what Alexander say's, take your battery to a reputable shop, have them charge it to full, then perform a load test. I've seen even new batteries not hold against a load test. It will tell you for sure. It's possible it has never had a full charge with the cars accessories draining it all the time. Plus, those old starters probably draw 300 amps when ya crank em. That's a lot of motor to get spinnin' !!! Knock on wood, I've been lucky with mine. Very few charging problems. Once in awhile, if I have every bell n' whistle turned on, the gen/light will glow really dim at an idle.

Another trick I've probably mentioned before, for you convertible owners. When you run the top up & down (or just open the d/lid) Have the engine running (fast idle) That Pwr Top motor draws a lot of amps too. It's a lot easier on the whole top mechanism (Mostly the motor) if it's getting enough juice. An old timer (who was a Ford genious when these cars were made) told me this stuff.

JB

________
      Cheap volcano vaporizers
      Last edited by byersmtrco; April 5, 2011, 11:07 AM.

Comment

Just wanted to say thanx again guys. She cranks up every time now!

Comment

• Alexander
          Webmaster
          • Oct 30 2002

What turned out to be the problem?

Alexander
          1959 Hardtop
          1960 Golde Top
          Alexander
          1959 Hard Top
          1960 Golde Top