X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Ickaber
    Apprentice
    • Mar 22 2013

New detent for the win!

Just finished putting in Alexander's better-than-new detent plate last night, and just wanted to give a +1 on this part replacement. There's definitely no way it will fall out of Park now.

I do have one question though. When I put it in Park, the shift lever doesn't spring back locking it in Park. I have to give it a little bit of a hand getting there, but once there it's locked in tight.

Is this the way it should feel? Does it need a little bit of a wear-in period maybe?
  • jopizz
    Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

Did you just replace the detent plate. Most times the shift lever also needs to be replaced as the notch gets rounded off.

John
    John Pizzi - Squarebirds Administrator

Thunderbird Registry #36223
    jopizz@squarebirds.org 856-779-9695

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm

Comment

• Ickaber
      Apprentice
      • Mar 22 2013

Originally posted by jopizz
      Did you just replace the detent plate. Most times the shift lever also needs to be replaced as the notch gets rounded off.

John
      John,

I replaced the detent plate, the shift lever (and pin), and the collar. The shift lever was badly rounded, and the holes in the collar for the pin were enlarged, which made the lever "floppy".

With all those new, square, tight-fitting parts, I just wasn't sure how it should feel. The spring is still very stiff and returns the shift lever to the back, but I just have to be careful to make sure it lands in the P notch, to the point of having to help it get there. I'm not having to force it there or anything, but just sort of gently guide it where it needs/wants to go.

Thanks.

Scott

Comment

• jopizz
        Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

One thing you can try is adjusting the manual shift linkage. You can unhook the rod and see if it feels any better. Sometimes it just needs a slight adjustment.

John

Comment

• Ickaber
          Apprentice
          • Mar 22 2013

Thanks John, I'll take a look at that when I can. I did take it out for a drive with Mrs. Ickaber today and it didn't seem as bad as it did at first. I'm probably just getting used to it.

Either way, I'm really happy to have done this, as I now trust it to be running while in park.

Comment

• jopizz
            Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

Remember that the quality of most of the foreign made replacement parts aren't anywhere near what the factory originally used so it may not ever be perfect.

John

Comment

Working...
            😀
            🥰
            🤢
            😎
            😡
            👍
            👎