X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • mh434
    Comfortably numb
    • Jan 10 2017

Engine color

I have searched through a few very knowledgeable threads regarding original engine paint colors, but I'm curious about what lies beneath the crust of baked on oil and grime on mine. Through use of a small child (my own I hasten to add..)I have managed to get a reasonable picture of the casting numbers, which to my eye reads B9AE6015B. The number above it is OE10:3 so I think its probably the original engine (1960). Now when you look at the photo, is the block painted gold with years of crud over it, or black with a gold reflection in places from the camera flash ? The original air cleaner and valve covers are also painted a yellow/ gold color. If the block was painted yellow / gold does that have any significance (color change signifying a rebuild ?), or does it just mean that someone got bored with a tin of gold paint a few years ago. From what I have read there was never a factory engine in a Thunderbird painted gold.

Any ideas / conspiracy theories welcome

Thanks

Jon
    Attached Files
    Jon
    Deepest Hertfordshire
    Old enough to know I'm right...
    1960 Hardtop T'bird
    1961 Hotchkiss M201
  • YellowRose
    Super-Experienced

• Jan 21 2008

Engine color

Jon, I can tell you this about those yellow valve covers. 1960 Tbirds left the factory with yellow valve covers for that year. I will let others with better knowledge then me decode the numbers and the engine block for you.

Ray Clark - Squarebirds Administrator
    The Terminator..... VTCI #11178 ITC #6000 Yellow Mustang Registry (YMR) #12188
    Contact me via Private Message for my email address, or Call (Cell) 210-875-1411

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm
    Faye's Ovarian Cancer Memorial Website.
    https://faye.rayclark.info/index.html

Comment

• DKheld
      Super-Experienced
      • Aug 27 2008

I've had (and still have) too may BMC cars - Jag, Triumph, MG, Austin etc so maybe you are thinking "gold seal" replacement engine as used by the BMC.

As info to the rest of the non BMC folks - BMC painted their gold seal replacement engines gold (imagine that)

Very good question. I wonder if any of the US dealers or manufactures had such a program and what color if any was used to designate a replacement engine. One of our administrators worked for Ford for quite some time - hopefully he can help.

In the meantime this is a picture of a '60 engine that was reported to only have 23K miles at the time of the pic. A bit hard to tell but the block is black.

Eric

Comment

• mh434
        Comfortably numb
        • Jan 10 2017

BMC Gold Seal engines.....there's a blast from the past
        Jon
        Deepest Hertfordshire
        1960 Hardtop T'bird
        1961 Hotchkiss M201

Comment

• simplyconnected
          Administrator
          • May 26 2009

B9AE6015B denotes a 1959 intake manifold for a Ford FE engine. OE10:3 denotes the day and shift the casting was poured. #3 shift is Ford's afternoon shift because we start #1 shift at midnight. You may find "DIF" (Dearborn Iron Foundry) in the casting as well.

These guys are right. All the castings should be black, rocker covers yellow, and the air cleaner is white. - Dave
          Member, Sons of the American Revolution

CLICK HERE to see my custom hydraulic roller 390 FE build.

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
          --Lee Iacocca

Comment

• mh434
            Comfortably numb
            • Jan 10 2017

Thanks all, much appreciated

Jon
            Jon
            Deepest Hertfordshire
            1960 Hardtop T'bird
            1961 Hotchkiss M201