X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • trim code 76
    Experienced
    • Aug 3 2006

Radiator cap pressure rating???

OK guys, easy one(?) I have looked all over my books and manuals and can not turn up what the stock rated radiator cap's pressure rating is? Is it 14lbs????? You would think this was in the owners manual or shop manual but I can not find it!! As always you guys are the greatest.
  • bcomo
    Super-Experienced
    • Sep 23 2005

I have a 13 PSI cap on my 60.

I can't find it in the 60 shop manual either.
    Bart
    1960 Hard Top/430
    Thunderbird Registry Number 1231

Comment

• YellowRose
      Super-Experienced

• Jan 21 2008

I did a search on "radiator cap" on our forume and here is what Alexander had to say about this on 11/19/2007 & 11/20/2007.

12 to 15 lb is correct for the Squarebirds. A 13 lb is available. The original cap is B8-8100-A.

There is no point deduction for the AC cap in all classes in BTCI and ITC as that is the correct replacement.

In addition, there is a post that shows a picture of an AC 15# RC-15 cap. Alexander also said this..

Autolite caps from 1967 to 1980's are acceptable replacements.

If you click on the link provided in that post, you will find that there is this. AC also has a 13# RC-6 model available for those who want a 13lb cap.

I have a non-AC 14lb cap on Yellow Rose
      Last edited by YellowRose; January 23, 2009, 02:49 PM. Reason: Additional comments

Ray Clark - Squarebirds Administrator
      The Terminator..... VTCI #11178 ITC #6000 Yellow Mustang Registry (YMR) #12188
      Contact me via Private Message for my email address, or Call (Cell) 210-875-1411

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm
      Faye's Ovarian Cancer Memorial Website.
      https://faye.rayclark.info/index.html

Comment

• JohnG
        John
        • Jul 28 2003

The lower the pressure the better.... less stress on that cheesy expansion tank on the top! Make an overflow bottle for inside the engine compartment (for non-show times) and catch anything that comes out so you're not dumping toxic stuff into the street.

john
        1958 Hardtop
        #8452 TBird Registry
        http://tbird.info/registry/DataSheet...r~equals~8452)

photo: http://www.squarebirds.org/users/joh...d_June2009.jpg
        history:
        http://www.squarebirds.org/users/johng/OCC.htm

Comment

• FeFranco
          Experienced
          • Jan 13 2007

Originally posted by JohnG
          The lower the pressure the better.... less stress on that cheesy expansion tank on the top! Make an overflow bottle for inside the engine compartment (for non-show times) and catch anything that comes out so you're not dumping toxic stuff into the street.

john
          Well put and this is what I found out. My expansion tank was leaking at the seam so I brought it to the radiator shop for repairs. The repairman told me that he would recommend a 10lb cap because of the typical temperature fluctuations in the radiator. Mine will easily see 210 on the gauge at a stop light in the summer, but climb back down to 180 when I get moving (i have a gauge). Sure, it will spit it out, but if you have an overflow it will eventually suck it back in. I HAD a 13lb cap.

Comment

• trim code 76
            Experienced
            • Aug 3 2006

Thanks guys!! Knew I would get the right answer from you.

Comment

I'm running a 7lb. cap on my 66. Freeze plugs are a little weak and what else I don't know. I'm sure I'll find out soon enough.

Comment

• dgs
                Super-Experienced
                • Feb 13 2003

I had a 6 or 7 lb cap and it wouldn't keep the fluid in. At temp it's just spit it out the overflow. I switched to a 13 lb and mostly cured my problems. Of course, I found a weak lower rad hose, freeze plug and now either a leaky heater core or temp control valve. Oh well.
                DGS (aka salguod)
                1960 Convertible - Raven Black, Red leather
                www.salguod.net

Comment

• bcomo
                  Super-Experienced
                  • Sep 23 2005

I wanted to add something about the purpose of a radiator cap.

The purpose of a radiator cap is to raise the boiling point of the water/antifreeze mix.

The normal boiling point of water is 212 degrees Fahrenheit (F).

Typical engine operating temperature after the themostat opens (with good air flow) is about 200 degrees F.

You can see that there is only a small difference between the two.

A radiator cap increases the boiling point of water by raising the atmospheric pressure (pressurizing) the system. When the water gets hot, it expands, but the radiator cap keeps the water pressurized by not allowing it to escape from the system untill it reaches the psi rating of the cap.

A 15 psi cap will raise the boiling point of the water by about 45 Degrees F. So now the boiling point of the water in the system becomes 212 F + 45 F = 257 F

So, the lower the psi rating of the cap, the earlier the water will boil, and the engine will overheat at a lower temperature. A lower psi cap will definitely keep the system pressure lower, but in stop and go traffic or high abient temperature, the engine will overheat faster and blow water from the overflow.
                  Last edited by bcomo; January 27, 2009, 10:10 AM.
                  Bart
                  1960 Hard Top/430
                  Thunderbird Registry Number 1231

Comment

• YellowRose
                    Super-Experienced

• Jan 21 2008

Hi Bart,

Thanks for posting that information! I have never seen the explanation of the purpose of the radiator cap explained before. That might explain why some Tbirds overheat more easily than other ones during slow moving parades. I have not run Yellow Rose in a parade yet. I just checked my radiator cap to see what it is. I thought it was a 13, but I see it is a 14. Hopefully, with that cap and the metal shroud around the radiator now being in place, I will not have that problem. Sooner or later, I will probably find out. Maybe those who have had the problem, if not using a 15psi cap, should try one...

Ray Clark - Squarebirds Administrator
                    The Terminator..... VTCI #11178 ITC #6000 Yellow Mustang Registry (YMR) #12188
                    Contact me via Private Message for my email address, or Call (Cell) 210-875-1411

Faye's Ovarian Cancer Memorial Website.
                    https://faye.rayclark.info/index.html

Comment

• KULTULZ

Originally posted by bcomo

I wanted to add something about the purpose of a radiator cap.

The purpose of a radiator cap is to raise the boiling point of the water/antifreeze mix.
                      This is 100% correct. If one is concerned that the correct pressure cap will blow out the cooling system, it is time to perform a little service.

Additionally, the purpose of 7# caps was in the days of using either water or an alcohol based coolant. On this time period systems, it will not only cause spitting but will ingest air on the intake, creating air pockets and creating even more problems.

The AC radiator cap being correct for this period is interesting. I always cringed from anything not marked FOMOCO.

Comment

I know the 7lb isn't going to work in the summer. It will start spitin up. but I bought this car on flebay with a stuck motor and everybody gave up on it. From a ford dealer no less. Has 80000 on it and runs FINE. Been sitting since 1977. Took a little playin with it but you wouldn't believe how this car runs and everything works. (no clock). It's a 66. I think my 60 will run it down. But then I have figure out how to stop.

Comment

• Patreer
                          Apprentice
                          • Jun 18 2016

Good day from Montreal,

I had to change my heater core recently and since I noticed the coolant tempature is higher then before (I have a gauge, a 180F thermostat and a 13# radiator cap).
                          Temperature used to be at 180F point all the time, but now I see that thermostat opens when engine warms up and after running for 20 minutes or so temperature climbs in the 195-210F range.
                          Yesterday we had 75F oustide and my coolant temp was more than 200F.

Even on the highway it does the same as if themostat was not operating.

I'm worried about overheating.
                          Should I change my radiator cap to a 15#?

Forgot to mention I switched to Shell Rotella T4, 15W40, if it may have an impact.
                          (1960 Tbird, 352)

Thanks for your help

Comment

• jopizz
                            Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

Changing the heater core should not cause your temps to be higher than before. My thought is that you have air in your system. Make sure you run the car with the radiator cap off and the heater control on hot to bleed any air out. I would not go to a 15 lb cap. The higher pressure will only put stress on your engine and radiator. Stay with 13 lbs. I've used the same oil many times and I haven't noticed higher temperatures.

John
                            John Pizzi - Squarebirds Administrator

Thunderbird Registry #36223
                            jopizz@squarebirds.org 856-779-9695

Comment

• Patreer
                              Apprentice
                              • Jun 18 2016

OK Thanks John
                              I'll do this and see if it helps.

Pat

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢