X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Rock&Roll Firebird
    Experienced
    • Jun 20 2012

Generator to Alternator conversion

I remember there was a thread on this here somewhere. I think there was even an electric scheme how to wire the 3-wire alternator to a Squarebird. Was not able to find it now though. Is there anyone running this setup? Can you share your experience?

Also, is there any cheaper mount bracket solution than this C.R.A.P. one?

• YellowRose
    Super-Experienced

• Jan 21 2008

Jiri, look in the Technical Resource Library. There is a lot of information there regarding generators, alternators and 1 wire vs 3 wire alternators. Most people will say that the 3 wire is the best way to go. Though I have a 1 wire, with a connection through the voltage regulator to the generator light so that it will still function. Read the information on pros and cons of 1 wire vs 3 wire. As for mounting brackets, the C.R.A.P. one is not cheap, but probably the best one to get. It is the only one that I know of made expressly for a gen to alternator conversion for the 352 engine. If there is a better one, I do not know about it. The other alternative is to modify the existing generator bracket to make it capable of mounting an alternator to it, as my mechanic did. However, back then, if I had known about the C.R.A.P. mounting bracket, I would have bought it instead. You have to make sure that you have the right holes in the block for this mounting bracket to connect to. Some 352 blocks may be different.

I did some more searching and if you use the Search funtion and type in "Squarebird Alternator" you will come up with a number of links regarding this. Including this one, which might be a help to you. You will see the C.R.A.P. mounting bracket being used and it is a far easier install than in trying to modify an existing generator mounting bracket to accept an alternator.

http://www.squarebirds.org/vbulletin...ird+Alternator
    Last edited by YellowRose; October 14, 2014, 12:21 AM.

Ray Clark - Squarebirds Administrator
    The Terminator..... VTCI #11178 ITC #6000 Yellow Mustang Registry (YMR) #12188
    Contact me via Private Message for my email address, or Call (Cell) 210-875-1411

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm
    Faye's Ovarian Cancer Memorial Website.
    https://faye.rayclark.info/index.html

Comment

• YellowRose
      Super-Experienced

• Jan 21 2008

Jiri, here is the wiring schematic, I think you were looking for. This is for wiring in a Ford G2 or G3 alternator. Hopefully, this will help. With this set up the alternator kicks in with the ignition switch and does not wait until you get it to 1500rpm. It also allows you to hook up the generator light and use it. Look at my Post #1.

http://www.squarebirds.org/vbulletin...tor+schematics

Contact me via Private Message for my email address, or Call (Cell) 210-875-1411

Comment

• simplyconnected
        Administrator
        • May 26 2009

Click HERE for pictures and specs of different Ford alternators, including part numbers, years and models they were used for, etc. Fabrication will depend on which alt you decide to install. You can see that each have different mounting holes. You need to change the pulley to accept your belt, as well.

CVF offers the best brackets for your FE engine... CLICK HERE
        Member, Sons of the American Revolution

CLICK HERE to see my custom hydraulic roller 390 FE build.

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
        --Lee Iacocca

Comment

• YellowRose
          Super-Experienced

• Jan 21 2008

I just talked with Nate at CVF about their alternator mounting bracket. This bracket is for a 390, 427, or 428 engine, but he said it will also fit a 352 engine. Unless you have one of the older 352 blocks that is missing one of the block mounting holes. He said in that case, you would have to drill and tap the block to create that additional hole. If you have one of the newer 352 engines, it should have all the necessary holes pre-drilled in the block.

This mounting bracket mounts the alternator high instead of low like the generator is. They do not have a bracket that mounts it in the low position. As I recall, the C.R.A.P. bracket mounts the alternator low, like the generator. He said that some who have used their mounting bracket found they had a problem with the expansion tank interfering with the alternator install. Some have fixed that by taking the expansion tank off. Others by making some kind of adjustment, but he does not know what. He also said that if you get one of the newer, larger alternators, that the back of it can hit the block. He suggests getting a Ford 3G alternator, one with a depth of less than 4.65". If you have an alternator that is wider than 4.65" inches, they have an adjusting rod you can get to adjust that away from the block.

They also market Power Steering and AC mounting brackets.

Here is a picture of what he is talking about regarding that 4.65" clearance.
          Attached Files
          Last edited by YellowRose; October 15, 2014, 01:23 PM.

Comment

• Rock&Roll Firebird
            Experienced
            • Jun 20 2012

Amazing - you guys keep throwing one great piece of information after another... Good to know about the high and low ways of installation. I will go with the C.R.A.P. one. With such info from you guys, the installation will be easy peasy . Thanks a lot!

Comment

• YellowRose
              Super-Experienced

• Jan 21 2008

Thanks, Jiri, before you do any ordering, take a look at this picture of the C.R.A.P. 92264 alternator mounting bracket. Check your block to see if it has all the necessary holes in it to mount this bracket to the block. As others have said, and as I have been told, some of the older 352 blocks do not have one of the holes drilled in them when they were made. The newer ones, and the 390 (I think) do have them. Though the 92264 bracket is a bit more expensive, it mounts the alternator low, unlike the CVF version. As stated by them, with it mounting it high, you could have a problem of interference with the expansion tank.

I am going to post a pic of that bracket somewhat in the position of how it will mount on the block, I think. See if you can find the holes in the block needed to mount that bracket to it. Here also is that pic of Rusty installing his engine back into his '58 with the C.R.A.P. mounting bracket already installed on the block, from what it looks like, minus the alternator.
              Attached Files
              Last edited by YellowRose; October 15, 2014, 02:09 PM.

Comment

• jopizz
                Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

That kit is for an FE motor that does not have the hole drilled which is the 58-60 352. The small bracket mounts to the front generator bracket hole and the larger bracket mounts to the water pump.

John
                John Pizzi - Squarebirds Administrator

Thunderbird Registry #36223
                jopizz@squarebirds.org 856-779-9695

Comment

• YellowRose
                  Super-Experienced

• Jan 21 2008

IF I understand John correctly, IF your block has all the necessary holes pre-drilled in it, then you can use the cheaper 92263 mounting bracket. If not then you need the 92264 with that extra mounting piece. I have been told that the older 352 blocks did not have that additional hole drilled, but the newer 352's did. I do not know if that is accurate or not, but was what I have been told by a number of people.

Comment

• jopizz
                    Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

Ford started drilling the alternator holes sometime in 1962. I've had '62 Thunderbirds with a generator but with the alternator hole already drilled. If you have a later block with the hole drilled you don't need to order a bracket from CRAP. You can usually find one on Ebay or in a junkyard. For our Squarebirds that have the original 352 you will need the CRAP bracket set that's pictured. I have one of the $30 generic brackets installed on my '59 and it works but it's difficult to keep tensioned. I would recommend the CRAP bracket even though it's more expensive.

John

Comment

• YellowRose
                      Super-Experienced

• Jan 21 2008

Thanks, John for the additional information. Jiri needs to know as much about this as he can, because, unlike us, he can't run down to the local Autolite, or O'Reillys in his country and just buy something. Jiri, if you end up ordering from Larry at C.R.A.P., and he does not ship overseas, let me know...

There is another company that makes an alternator mounting bracket that I just found out about. That is March Performance, and we have a link to it in the TRL under Gen to Alt Conversions. However, in talking with them I found that their mounting bracket also mounts the alt high like the CVF version. Also, it costs more. It is their part #19001 for $134.86. You will find it shown in their Serpintine Conversion kits section, the bottom two image above the Flathead image.

Comment

• Rock&Roll Firebird
                        Experienced
                        • Jun 20 2012

Thank you John for confirming the block & C.R.A.P. mount information - very useful!. And thank you Ray for your offer. I already arranged a way for getting any needed parts from US to my place - there is a Czech company (Cz-ebay.cz) located in Georgia that gathers all orders from whatever shop or place in the US and dispatches those through DHL Air or a ship container. It works very well and I've used them many times.

Anyway, I'm glad that with these informations I'm a step closer to the alt. conversion which I was a bit nervous about. When I get the parts I'll get my hands on it right away...

As for the alternator, I have one spare new one that I've bought for my C3 corvette, but the Bird seems to need it a bit more now. It's a Tuff Stuff one:

Free Shipping - Tuff Stuff Performance Kool-Charger Alternators with qualifying orders of $109. Shop Alternators and Generators at Summit Racing.

We'll see how will it fit. If not, I'll get a Ford one locally.
                        Last edited by Rock&Roll Firebird; October 15, 2014, 03:40 PM.

Comment

• YellowRose
                          Super-Experienced

• Jan 21 2008

Hi Jiri, very good! That sounds like an excellent arrangement. Regarding the GM alternator that you have, maybe someone like Dave or John can tell you if that one is a good candidate for the Tbird or not. If not, then it appears that a Ford 3G alt is the best way to go for a new one. Or if you can find one off an older Ford at a scrap yard there, if that is even possible.
                          Last edited by YellowRose; October 15, 2014, 04:38 PM.

Comment

• simplyconnected
                            Administrator
                            • May 26 2009

I have no love for any of the bracket companies so it really doesn't matter to me which one you buy from.
                            Having said that, I have never found an alternator that won't fit somewhere on your engine AND I've always had to make my own brackets.

One of the biggest concerns was the placement of alternator plugs. They are easy to hide but then you can't get to them. They need to be accessible yet out of the way so they aren't pinched, burned or scraped.

GM or Ford alternators, it really doesn't matter much. They both work the same and your car really doesn't care where 14-volts DC comes from. Truth be told, many alternators produce Chinese power.

Buy what you want, but I prefer making my own brackets using cut lengths of pipe, threaded rod, heim joints for adjustment, and maybe a plate that wraps half way around the alt. Altogether it should cost about US$20 and my time. Good luck.
                            Member, Sons of the American Revolution

CLICK HERE to see my custom hydraulic roller 390 FE build.

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
                            --Lee Iacocca

Comment

• jopizz
                              Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

Originally posted by Rock&Roll Firebird
                              Thank you John for confirming the block & C.R.A.P. mount information - very useful!. And thank you Ray for your offer. I already arranged a way for getting any needed parts from US to my place - there is a Czech company (Cz-ebay.cz) located in Georgia that gathers all orders from whatever shop or place in the US and dispatches those through DHL Air or a ship container. It works very well and I've used them many times.

Anyway, I'm glad that with these informations I'm a step closer to the alt. conversion which I was a bit nervous about. When I get the parts I'll get my hands on it right away...

As for the alternator, I have one spare new one that I've bought for my C3 corvette, but the Bird seems to need it a bit more now. It's a Tuff Stuff one:

Free Shipping - Tuff Stuff Performance Kool-Charger Alternators with qualifying orders of $109. Shop Alternators and Generators at Summit Racing.

We'll see how will it fit. If not, I'll get a Ford one locally.
                              You won't be able to use a GM style alternator with the CRAP bracket. You have to use a Ford alternator. I already emailed him and asked.

John

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎