X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Larry Jones
    Experienced
    • Feb 3 2009

changing out intake gasket

Could some one indicate whats exactly involved in replacing the intake gasket. What would have to be unbolted. Larry. Would the exhaust manifold have to be unbolted. I no the distributor would have to come out. Thanks
  • KULTULZ

You need the proper year shop manual for your car. It makes everything so much easier.

Comment

• simplyconnected
      Administrator
      • May 26 2009

Larry, I would drain the oil (and leave the plug out), and drain the coolant below the intake level. Then, disconnect the gas pedal/trans linkage, disconnect the upper heater hose, and take the bolts/nuts off both sides of the intake manifold.

If you have a shop manual, this procedure is explained in better detail. Follow the manual's instructions! There are a few things they left out of the manual:

When you take the intake manifold off, some coolant may 'spill' into the oil passages. If that happens, I wash it out (oil pan drain plug is still removed) because antifreeze will ruin bearings.

When you reinstall the intake manifold, put sealer around the water ports on the new gasket. My Y-Block has two bolts that pass through water ports, so I seal those as well. When you are done, plug all the holes, restore all the fluids, and check for leaks. I use an UN-lit propane torch (outdoors) to go around the intake gasket. If the idle speed increases, there is a vacuum leak, or if fluids are not contained, the intake must be re-seated. - Dave
      Member, Sons of the American Revolution

CLICK HERE to see my custom hydraulic roller 390 FE build.

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
      --Lee Iacocca

Comment

On FE's valve covers. rocker arms and push rods. You also need some help puttin it back on so it doesn't leak.

Comment

Working...
        😀
        🥰
        🤢
        😎
        😡
        👍
        👎