X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Djweaz
    Experienced
    • Apr 14 2016

Value pricing.

Seeing what people out there insure their squarebirds for. Prices are all over the places from Hagerty to Nada.
    I've seen prices from $13k-$15k and upwards of $21k-$34k
    I insured mine for $20k the guy I got it from insured it at $22k. I'm thinking it might be too low to replace it. I've already put $2k in it since I got it making everything right and preparing to have it resprayed in the fall after Good Guys in BG Kentucky. Mine is all original in very good condition numbers matching was stored away for many years before I got it. It has had one respray from Glacier Green to white and when they did it, they did it properly. Trunk engine bay doors sills everything. I was able to find remnants of the original color behind the hood latches when I took them off. No rust beyond a couple bubbles still driver quality paint with chips here and there. In the shop right now having upper and lower control arm bushings replaced as we speak.

My list of to-dos are:
    A/C - I found a kit at Macs I believe which it is a factory replacement kit so that it looks factory
    Heater core replacement- it has a shutoff valve now
    Wiper motor repair/replace I haven't checked if it's bad or no vacuum(the lines aren't hooked up now)
    New carpet - looks good but under the front floor mats there isn't any
    Dash gauges/Speedo fixed no power to them atm and the speedo arm fell off
    Front seat buns are crumbling underneath had a seam tear in the drivers seat from getting in and getting out. I sewed it back up. Other than that the interior is really nice no rips tears cracks.
    Radio lights up but doesn't work and the access panel under it is missing.
    Replace rubber seals trunk, doors and such
    The power windows and seats all work. Drivers glass has a crack in it other than that the glass is all fine.
    Bumpers- are good could use rechroming. As they are faded.

Other than these few items it is in very nice condition solidly in between #1 & #2 condition before the work is done. Turns heads everywhere I go from driving it around to cruise ins
    Rob
    1959 Thunderbird J-Code
    Tbird registry
  • Dakota Boy
    Super-Experienced
    • Jun 30 2009

Hagerty will insure a car for up to $25K; no questions asked. If you want higher than that, you will have to have a professional appraisal done first. That being said, mine is insured for 25.
    http://www.tbirdregistry.com/viewdat...ryNumber=33517

Comment

• dgs
      Super-Experienced
      • Feb 13 2003

I've got my convertible insured for $25K too. I've seen convertibles go for more, but mine's not of that quality. A decent driver is all.

I can't remember seeing many coupes go for more than $20K, but I don't pay as much attention to them. I don't follow either that closely, frankly.

eBay lets you search for completed listings. If I did it right, this link will show you recent completted auctions. Only the ones with the price shown in green sold.

Most coupes are $5K-$15K, convertibles seem go into the upper $20K range unless they are exceptional (this one for $5,500 seems like it was a steal). That's not a complete picture, but it is actual sales instead of just a price guide.
      DGS (aka salguod)
      1960 Convertible - Raven Black, Red leather
      www.salguod.net

Comment

• Djweaz
        Experienced
        • Apr 14 2016

Thanks. That's a great help. After I get it painted, I will raise it to $25k. I don't know if it will ever make it to the level where I will need an appraisal, because I drive it a lot. These numbers give me a better view on the values.
        Rob
        1959 Thunderbird J-Code
        Tbird registry

Comment

• scumdog
          Super-Experienced

• May 12 2006

You could'nt buy a 55 to 66 Thunderbird in tidy good running order for LESS than $25,000 in New Zealand but then that's NZ dollars which are only worth 72c US so that equals US $18,000.
          ( Most early 'birds cost NZ$35,000+.)
          Insuring them is not a problem here.
          A Thunderbirder from the Land of the Long White Cloud.

Comment

• Dan Leavens
            Moderator / Administrator

• Oct 4 2006

Rob all answers are good and deal with a range of $$ on HT and converts. Each classic is different and each classic has it's own level of originality.
            The constant in ALL classics is that when you do additional work / repaint /restoration take pictures and get an appraisal done by an accredited appraiser.
            Most insurance companies ( Hagerty included ) require justification of $$ spent to upgrade, especially when it comes to paying out.

I have my 58 / 60 appraised every two (2) years for a couple of reasons.
            1) Know what the current value of each car is inclusive of any changes.
            2) Update my provider's file should anything happen.

These classics are just that, classics. Protect yourself.
            Dano Calgary,Alberta Canada
            Thunderbird Registry
            58HT #33317
            60 HT (Sold )

Comment

• Tbird1044
              Super-Experienced
              • Jul 31 2012

A big thing with insurance is how your policy is set up. There is "Actual Cash Value", "Stated Value", and "Agreed Value". A friend, that also has a 60 Bird Convertible, and worked in the Insurance Industry, highly recommended that I get "Agreed Value". It seems to be the best protection for a classic car. If you've never looked at this, here is a good article explaining the difference: https://www.lelandwest.com/stated-va...-insurance.cfm
              Nyles

Comment

• newyear
                Experienced
                • Jan 4 2005

Value pricing

My 58 HT has an agreed value of £15,000 for insurance purposes but actual sale values are very hard to estimate.Regardless,I think Squarebirds are fantastic value...A fabulous, almost custom body shape straight from the factory,gorgeous interiors,lusty V8 engine...Domestic market cars of the same era such as M G's and Austin Healeys are huge money now

Comment

• DKheld
                  Super-Experienced
                  • Aug 27 2008

If anyone asks if my Tbird is for sale I always say...... "Yes - it's for sale. I think it's worth 16K but I will take 32K cash"

Mine is insured for an agreed value of 22K but being a one family owned car I'd never be able to replace what I have with any amount of money.

Prices vary widely depending on what part of the country you are in (and what country you are in). I agree with Peter on comparative value.

Eric

(Peter - I've been enjoying and working on British/English cars since I was 15 - know what you mean on the value - they've done the same thing in the states.)

Comment

• bird 60
                    Super-Experienced
                    • Mar 18 2009

Mine had a total restoration completed in 1997. That's when the Ozzy Dollar was around the 60c value to the U.S. All the parts that were required at the time cost nearly twice as much to import. Without brag my T.BIRD at the time of purchase in 2007 looked like new, & in many ways it still does. I drove the BIRD to my insurance company (SHANNONS) & had an agreed value for
                    $70,000. At the end of the day, if I decide to sell it, obviously I'd like to get the most for it, but it depends on what the market dictates. Having said that I've got my 2 Grandsons that have put a claim to it aged 6 & 3.
                    Incidentally my insurance premium is $240.00 a year on Historic Registration.

Chris......From OZ.

Comment

• Djweaz
                      Experienced
                      • Apr 14 2016

My father in law uses Grundy, which I planned on using but my Tbird had a Hagerty sticker on it and side tracked me haha. It out it in the front of my mind. Anyway he has 2 street rods, both beautiful. A 1928 Ford Model AA truck and a 1929 Model A Roadster. He has agreed value on them. The truck I believe is at $45k and the roadster is I think $70k. Every year or so they raise the value on his automatically must be for COLA. He doesn't ask they just do it. The roadster has $20k alone in just the frame/suspension. We are from Ohio near Summit Racing though I am in Nashville now. His roadster sat at summit for a while on their spinning mirror. I've had a lot of cars and bikes in my time and this TBird ended up becoming one of my favorites in the couple of months of owning it and it would have never even garnered a look before. I want it to be in my stable for a long time and want to make sure it's properly covered in case anything would happen to it. Because I am dropping money into an already nice car to make it that much better but I don't want to sink $10k in a $5k car even if I do like it. I could sink that money into another car and still drive this one.
                      Rob
                      1959 Thunderbird J-Code
                      Tbird registry

Comment

Working...
                      😀
                      🥰
                      🤢
                      😎
                      😡
                      👍
                      👎