No announcement yet.

Power window motor replacement

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

So I tore down one of my window motors that was not working and found one of the ground wires melted to a crisp inside of. The motor from the bottom of the case to the windings.. I went through the power window rebuild in the trl, but I am not sure how to replace the tiny ground wire inside of the motor and where to solder it to. Any info on this? Also, does anyone know of a cheap place to order a full replacement motor either rebuilt or new.
  • YellowRose
    Super-Experienced

• Jan 21 2008

Dan, Carl Heller ~ partsetal on here, has a lot of Squarebird parts. Send him a Private Message and ask him if he has what you are looking for. Carl ships Squarebird parts all over the world. He is a great person to know!

Ray Clark - Squarebirds Administrator
    The Terminator..... VTCI #11178 ITC #6000 Yellow Mustang Registry (YMR) #12188
    Contact me via Private Message for my email address, or Call (Cell) 210-875-1411

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm
    Faye's Ovarian Cancer Memorial Website.
    https://faye.rayclark.info/index.html

Comment

• simplyconnected
      Administrator
      • May 26 2009

What year Thunderbird is this for??? In your profile, it says you don't own a T-bird. Ford used different motors for different T-birds. - Dave
      Member, Sons of the American Revolution

CLICK HERE to see my custom hydraulic roller 390 FE build.

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
      --Lee Iacocca

Comment

It's a 1960 2dr hardtop. The window motor I am referring about is the one for the rear quarter window. I was thinking about just rewiring the motor and hoping for the best. What I do not understand is where to solder the ground to on the windings inside the motor. Do I just solder it to the copper windings directly?

Comment

• simplyconnected
          Administrator
          • May 26 2009

Ground is separated from this motor. Look at this diagram. This is a "SHUNT MOTOR", meaning that the fields are in separate circuits from the armature.

One wire feeds the UP field wire, another wire feeds the DOWN field wire. The other ends of those two field wires, F2 & F4 connect to A2 and to a wire that comes out of the motor. What the diagram doesn't show is the circuit breaker before the wire connects to ground.

Understand how these motors work. In any DC motor, if you reverse the field and not the armature, the motor runs backward. The prints show both field wires wound in opposite directions of each other. That's because they are. If by mistake, someone hits the UP and DOWN switches at the same time (if that's possible), both fields negate each other's magnetism and the motor does not turn (or burn up).

These motors are available at a handsome price. I prefer using a two-wire permanent magnet motor with two double pole relays. The N.C. relay contacts are used for electrical interlock, so there can be no mistakes. Permanent magnet motors are everywhere at decent prices. - Dave

--Lee Iacocca

Comment

• Tbird1044
            Super-Experienced
            • Jul 31 2012

I'll attach some motor pictures to see if any will help out. Working on the 60's, I have found 3 different designs on window motors. Some have the brush holder at the shaft end and others have the brush holder at the opposite end. A picture of your motor might help.
            Nyles
            Attached Files

Comment

• simplyconnected
              Administrator
              • May 26 2009

What ever happened with this, Dan?

--Lee Iacocca

Comment

Power window motor was bad. I got myself a refurb from Pat wilson's Thunderbirds in Newton NJ. Great guy.

All is well now with the new motor

Comment

Working...
                😀
                🥰
                🤢
                😎
                😡
                👍
                👎