X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • bygrace
    Experienced
    • Jul 27 2015

CruiseOMaitc kickdown questions

My wife's 1960 coupe is (mechanically) non-original. I never researched the numbers, but the motor looked like a crate replacement, all blue, top to bottom. Runs great. When the trans needed a rebuild (reverse pawl), it came back with a vacumn line that was never there before. Of course, it shifts completely differently now with the VM hooked up. This forum tells me there was no vacumn modulator on the '60. So this is at least a '61 trans.
    Here's the hitch. Along with all the unknown components, there's a homemade looking throttle setup. It's brazed up from some original parts, like the 'boomerang' base, the cross shaft and pedal rod. But all three connections (foot feed, carb, AND kickdown) are solid on the cross shaft. That is, they all 3 work in unison, without that slotted part with the spring that (I think) is for kickdown. (Correct me if that's not what it is.) Looking at pictures, it looks like the driver has to stretch that spring past the full throttle stop to get kickdown to second gear. Now, the car kicks down before full throttle, and it actually slows down. I can't adjust it out. The kickdown comes in before the R's are up. Questions: Am I thinking half way right? Do I need to get linkage with the 1960 kickdown gizmo? Maybe it wasn't used past 1960 on the VM trans and the later VM trans is correct without it? Anybody got a 61? With a spring. Or no spring? Ideas?
    Thanks, Mike S.
  • jopizz
    Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

I have a couple of issues with what you describe. First off if you were supposed to get your transmission rebuilt why did you get a completely different transmission. Did the kickdown work correctly with the old transmission and linkage? Where are you getting vacuum to connect to the modulator? Whether it has the modulator or not the shift points are basically the same.

John
    John Pizzi - Squarebirds Administrator

Thunderbird Registry #36223
    jopizz@squarebirds.org 856-779-9695

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm

Comment

• bygrace
      Experienced
      • Jul 27 2015

Sorry. To clarify. It's the same trans before and after rebuild. Some model after '61. Just never had vacumn to the modulator until the rebuilder hooked it up.

Comment

• bygrace
        Experienced
        • Jul 27 2015

Oh, and no, it never has kicked-down right. I guess my simplest question is did the VM transmissions have the spring-operated linkage? Or is this non-'60 trans supposed to kick down differently?

Comment

• jopizz
          Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

Without the vacuum line being hooked up there's no way the transmission would've been able to shift correctly. It certainly should shift better now. Did you get a warranty when it was rebuilt? Part of the rebuild and installation process by any transmission shop is making sure the kickdown works. They should've done a test drive and noticed that right away.

John

Comment

• jopizz
            Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

Originally posted by bygrace
            Oh, and no, it never has kicked-down right. I guess my simplest question is did the VM transmissions have the spring-operated linkage? Or is this non-'60 trans supposed to kick down differently?
            All the COM's used the same basic kick down linkage. There's no reason to modify the linkage regardless of carburetor. If it has the stock FE intake the factory linkage should work as is. If you don't have the standard linkage as per the pictures I recommend contacting Carl Heller(partsetal). He should have a used linkage that will work.

John
            Attached Files

Comment

• bygrace
              Experienced
              • Jul 27 2015

Okay then. That cinches it. I need that whole part, even with the later trans. Thanks.
              Actually, before the rebuild, the trans ran out (in rpm) in first and second no matter how light the throttle. it shifted the same. After he ran a VM line, it shifts much earlier at light throttle and shifts later (in rpm), when accelerating more. As far as the kickdown, it always 'worked' the same before and after, just too early because of the missing articulation in the linkage that allows the bell crank to rotate past the full throttle position and continue to advance the kickdown lever. It just always kicked down in mid-late throttle. The rebuilder had it adjusted as best it could be, given this odd, solid linkage. No idea where it came from. I've lived with it until now, my wife's pretty much of a 'cruiser'. Thanks again. Mike

Comment

• YellowRose
                Super-Experienced

• Jan 21 2008

CruiseOMaitc kickdown questions

Just in case you do not know this, many people get confused regarding what D1 and D2 do and which position to drive in. D1 is the position you should be driving in with a COM. It gives you all three gears..., Low, then Intermediate, (second gear), and Direct Drive or (high gear). D2 gives you only 2 gears.., Intermediate or (second gear), and Direct Drive, or (high gear)....

Ray Clark - Squarebirds Administrator
                The Terminator..... VTCI #11178 ITC #6000 Yellow Mustang Registry (YMR) #12188
                Contact me via Private Message for my email address, or Call (Cell) 210-875-1411

Faye's Ovarian Cancer Memorial Website.
                https://faye.rayclark.info/index.html

Comment

• Deanj
                  Super-Experienced
                  • Nov 26 2015

Can I just say my '60 can only kick down under 60 MPH. I remember my brother's '64 had the ability to kick down at 70-if my recollection is correct.

Dean

Comment

Working...
                  😀
                  🥰
                  🤢
                  😎
                  😡
                  👍
                  👎