No announcement yet.

New Member Question Already Brake Pushrod

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi, just bought a 1960 T Bird. Black with red leather. Love it! Always wanted one, but, it needs a lot of work. This seems like a laid back forum, I hope my questions don't bother you too much, yeah, I know, I need an Owner's Manual. My first priority is the brakes, it actually runs pretty good. I ordered all the brake parts, I have a friend who has a lift to help me. We looked at the brake pedal, it is on the floor, the pushrod is not connected to the master cylinder. It seems like it is a ball and socket. Do you just push it together like my older sister's shoulder, which sometimes pops out of its socket? Is there some sort of pin or c clip missing? Will it reach? Any help appreciated. Thanks.
  • jopizz
    Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

Post as many times as you like. If we can we'll try to answer your questions. As for the push rod it just slides into the master cylinder. There's nothing that holds it in place. Do you have the booster on the firewall. Non A/C cars that had power brakes came with the under hood booster. A/C equipped cars came with the under dash Kelsey Hayes booster. In addition to an owners manual you should also get a shop manual. You can download a digital copy for less than $20 on various sites.

John
    John Pizzi - Squarebirds Administrator

Thunderbird Registry #36223
    jopizz@squarebirds.org 856-779-9695

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm

Comment

Oops, I meant shop manual. Thanks, I didn't know I could get it on line. Thanks for quick reply. Yes, underhood booster, no A/C. OK, I will push it in there when we do the brakes, which should be soon. Hey, JUST like my sister's shoulder...

Comment

• YellowRose
        Super-Experienced

• Jan 21 2008

Edward, when you need parts, if you have not found it yet, look in the Advertisements Forum. There you will find all the major tbird parts houses listed, including Rock Auto, who is a member of this Forum. They give us a 5% discount on parts ordered online with them. The discount code will also be found there. You should call or email all the major Tbird parts houses and ask them to send you their free catalogs. You will need them for price comparisons and availability. In our Technical Resource Library you will find many, many tips on how to repair or restore your Squarebird, including the wiring diagrams. They can be printed out. Congratulations on acquiring your Tbird and may you have many years of enjoyment with it. You have found a great Forum to assist you in getting her roadworthy again!

Ray Clark - Squarebirds Administrator
        The Terminator..... VTCI #11178 ITC #6000 Yellow Mustang Registry (YMR) #12188
        Contact me via Private Message for my email address, or Call (Cell) 210-875-1411

Faye's Ovarian Cancer Memorial Website.
        https://faye.rayclark.info/index.html

Comment

• simplyconnected
          Administrator
          • May 26 2009

Welcome to Squarebirds.org, Edward. For the most part, we reference the Shop Manual. There are portions of the book that need further explanation and of course many changes have come about during the past 50 years so those changes or improvements will not be in the books.

We are here to answer all of your questions. To us, all your questions are important. The only question that is trivial is the one not asked. So feel comfortable that we are here to help put your Thunderbird back on the road again, safely.

Since 1960 many improvements have come about like radial tires, electric wipers, disk brakes, heavier sway bars, seat belts, etc. I encourage you to make these changes even though all of them depart from 'stock', especially if you load your family in the car and drive it on our interstate highways among modern cars equipped with the latest safety options.

It is my opinion that a stock 1960 car (of any type) is dangerous among today's traffic. I read that you purchased new drum brake components. You may consider retrofitting to power disk brakes as many of our members already have (including my classic Ford). Again, we are here to help answer your questions and to make your Thunderbird truly enjoyable to drive safely. - Dave
          Member, Sons of the American Revolution

CLICK HERE to see my custom hydraulic roller 390 FE build.

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
          --Lee Iacocca

Comment

Drove the T Bird around the block yesterday! All brake parts are like brand new except the master cylinder, which I am going to replace. However, it filled with fluid, and brakes bled. I am still concerned about the pushrod to booster link. Should I be able to grab the brake pedal, pull it up, and, see the pushrod come out of the booster? !

Comment

• jopizz
              Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

The push rod (part 2A385) just "floats" inside the booster when the master cylinder is off. There's really no physical connection that holds it in place as you can see by the diagram. Once the master cylinder is installed it will hold tight.

John
              Attached Files

Comment

I did have the old master cylinder on there, but, was still able to pull the brake pedal up, and, pull the pushrod out. Also the brake pedal is VERY low, is that correct, or is it higher than the gas pedal? Thanks for diagram. I am getting Shop Manual, just takes time.

Comment

• YellowRose
                  Super-Experienced

• Jan 21 2008

If you have not bought a Shop Manual yet, get a digital one, or on a CD. That way, you do not have to take your book out to the car, and risk getting grease and dirt all over it. With the digital version, it is just a matter of printing out the page(s) you need, take them to the car and throw them away if you get grease all over them. You can always reprint them. You can't do that with the book.... Besides, a CD is cheaper than the book is. Check out any of our Tbird Parts House, like The Bird Nest, or any other one that offers the manuals for sale.

Ray Clark - Squarebirds Administrator
                  The Terminator..... VTCI #11178 ITC #6000 Yellow Mustang Registry (YMR) #12188
                  Contact me via Private Message for my email address, or Call (Cell) 210-875-1411

Faye's Ovarian Cancer Memorial Website.
                  https://faye.rayclark.info/index.html

Comment

• jopizz
                    Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

Your brake pedal should not be lower than the gas pedal. Since you say that the master cylinder has not been replaced it could just be a weak return spring or corrosion causing the piston to not return all the way to the end of the bore. Since everything else is new I would replace the master cylinder before I make any other adjustments.

John

Comment

• Dakota Boy
                      Super-Experienced
                      • Jun 30 2009

you might need a longer pushrod. I needed a longer one when I got rid of the original master cylinder and went to a dual master.
                      http://www.tbirdregistry.com/viewdat...ryNumber=33517

Comment

• jopizz
                        Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

Originally posted by Dakota Boy
                        you might need a longer pushrod. I needed a longer one when I got rid of the original master cylinder and went to a dual master.
                        That's a good point. Do you still have the single master cylinder or was it changed out to a dual master cylinder.

John

Comment

I think I just resolved the brake problem. I did get the master cylinder today. After about 30 minutes of trying to seat it, I realized the rod was adjustable! I shortened it, presto! The master cylinder fit on there. I think the pedal is a bit low though, yet. I think I can also adjust the pushrod, and, I will try that soon. Meanwhile, I am after another problem, I started another thread about a ground wire. There is a dead short somewhere. This car needs a lot, hasn't been driven in 12 years, but runs and drives. Not much rust. I did order a Shop Manual, it should be here in a couple days. I am sensitive about that, needlessly, because you guys seem to be cool, but, I had a 1950 Cadillac, and the Cadillac guys made a big deal about the shop manual, so big I left the site.

Comment

• Tbird1044
                            Super-Experienced
                            • Jul 31 2012

Shop manuals provide a lot of information on your car, however the guys that are out here working and fixing these cars everyday provide invaluable information. There is a lot to be said about "first hand information". As always, the car is yours and you can do what you want, but I have received a lot of valuable information from this site. This is a really general thank you for all of you that helped me get my car back together and on the road. There will always be new challenges, but I look forward to the advice from those that have "been there, done that".
                            Nyles

Comment

• jopizz
                              Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

The shop manual is a tool for you to use but it's not going to answer all your questions. That's why this forum is here. To fill in the blanks. Another great part of the forum is the Technical Resource Library that we've put together with the help of our members. That will also answer a lot of your questions that the shop manual doesn't.

John

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎