X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • scumdog
    Super-Experienced

• May 12 2006

Originally posted by Cwcb08
    Things like that just #*$$ me off and make me buy from wherever I get the best price, free trade isn't always free

It's also Canada day today yellowrose they might be taking a long weekend
    Happy Canada Day!

We've got the Canadian flag flying and as usual we are a day ahead of you guys so it was flying yesterday
    A Thunderbirder from the Land of the Long White Cloud.

Comment

• simplyconnected
      Administrator
      • May 26 2009

Pardon me but I'm still used to calling it, "Dominion Day".

Happy Canada Day! - Dave
      Member, Sons of the American Revolution

CLICK HERE to see my custom hydraulic roller 390 FE build.

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
      --Lee Iacocca

Comment

• YellowRose
        Super-Experienced

• Jan 21 2008

My '66 Hardtop Town Build

Here is the response I just received from Spectra regarding Canadians ordering gas tanks and parts from them.

"Good day, Yes we have distributor in Canada. You can go in any Napa, CARQUEST, O’reilly, Advance, Canadian tire and many more. If you have any other question please call us on the tech line 1-888-910-8888. Thank you. Marc-André Fecteau."

So there ya go!

Ray Clark - Squarebirds Administrator
        The Terminator..... VTCI #11178 ITC #6000 Yellow Mustang Registry (YMR) #12188
        Contact me via Private Message for my email address, or Call (Cell) 210-875-1411

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm
        Faye's Ovarian Cancer Memorial Website.
        https://faye.rayclark.info/index.html

Comment

• Cwcb08
          Experienced
          • Oct 11 2016

Got the car back from the shop today!

Carb is rebuilt with new dashpot and tuned ( good but still a little rich, the bowl is cracked according to the shop. One day it will need to be replaced. )
          All New plugs
          All New wires
          New distributor cap and rotor
          Replaced pass side exhaust manifold gasket
          New air filter
          Changed the oil while it was there

We put about 975$ into it this visit

Shop also mentioned to us we will need to replace the exhaust as it is strting to rust out and there are already holes in it past the H pipe

I'm thinking I also want to replace the timing chain as Dave mentioned to me last time he called, it seems to hesitate off the line but once up to speed it goes when you put your foot down

I think I need to check the wheel bearings as well not 100%sure thats what the noise is but they are cheap if I'm wrong

Drove it to work

2016 FORD F150 XLT 3.5 EB SPORT 302a - 2012 KAWASAKI ZX-6R - 2012 LEGEND DELUXE V-NOSE - 2008 KAWASAKI ZZR600 - 2008 FORD FOCUS SE - 2007 KAWASAKI ZX-6R - 2002 ARTIC CAT 500 - 1990 JOHN DEERE 265 - 1966 FORD THUNDERBIRD HARDTOP TOWN

Comment

• jopizz
            Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

Carb is rebuilt with new dashpot and tuned ( good but still a little rich, the bowl is cracked according to the shop. One day it will need to be replaced. )
            Why would you rebuild a carburetor with a cracked bowl? Gas is either going to run down the intake and foul the plugs or drip onto the intake and possibly cause a fire. Just asking.

John
            John Pizzi - Squarebirds Administrator

Thunderbird Registry #36223
            jopizz@squarebirds.org 856-779-9695

Comment

• Cwcb08
              Experienced
              • Oct 11 2016

Had I known from the start that was an issue I wouldn't have.
              2016 FORD F150 XLT 3.5 EB SPORT 302a - 2012 KAWASAKI ZX-6R - 2012 LEGEND DELUXE V-NOSE - 2008 KAWASAKI ZZR600 - 2008 FORD FOCUS SE - 2007 KAWASAKI ZX-6R - 2002 ARTIC CAT 500 - 1990 JOHN DEERE 265 - 1966 FORD THUNDERBIRD HARDTOP TOWN

Comment

• scumdog
                Super-Experienced

• May 12 2006

Got the car back from the shop today!

I'm thinking I also want to replace the timing chain as Dave mentioned to me last time he called, it seems to hesitate off the line but once up to speed it goes when you put your foot down
                Are they sure it's a crack? I've seen what looks like a crask on a carb body that turned out to be a casting flaw.

And the hesitation MAY be just too lean a mixture and/or accelerator pump shot being week.
                A Thunderbirder from the Land of the Long White Cloud.

Comment

• Cwcb08
                  Experienced
                  • Oct 11 2016

Originally posted by scumdog
                  Are they sure it's a crack? I've seen what looks like a crask on a carb body that turned out to be a casting flaw.

And the hesitation MAY be just too lean a mixture and/or accelerator pump shot being week.
                  I didnt see it but that's what they told me, they thought the jets may have been reversed back to front ( based on other odd things they saw ) making it run rich.

Dam car died on the way home from work about a mile from home ( figures ) not sure if its the battery or alternator but I couldn't start it ( it wouldn't even try ) and all lights were very dim

Comment

• simplyconnected
                    Administrator
                    • May 26 2009

Cody, pull your battery clamps off and clean the surfaces well. I use Vaseline on all the mating surfaces before re-installation, just to keep air and water out.

Also, check your ground connections and terminals on the engine and car body. If you have strong headlights while trying to crank, most likely your starter is faulty.

If your battery voltage goes way down while cranking, the battery is bad. - Dave

--Lee Iacocca

Comment

• Cwcb08
                      Experienced
                      • Oct 11 2016

Originally posted by simplyconnected
                      Cody, pull your battery clamps off and clean the surfaces well. I use Vaseline on all the mating surfaces before re-installation, just to keep air and water out.

Also, check your ground connections and terminals on the engine and car body. If you have strong headlights while trying to crank, most likely your starter is faulty.

If your battery voltage goes way down while cranking, the battery is bad. - Dave
                      I put it on my battery tender Jr overnight and it started first crank. I tested with my multimeter and had 11.75v while running, I'm thinking I should have 14ish while charging if the alternator is working correctly.

Also checked the powersteering res because it was making a moaning while turning, empty. Guess I know where all the red fluid was coming from now.

Ugh stupid car, I don't want to put a ton of money into it. Anyone want to buy it lol

Adjusted the headlights as well they were way off and terrible driving home

Comment

• jopizz
                        Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

Ugh stupid car, I don't want to put a ton of money into it. Anyone want to buy it lol
                        As you are finding out owning a classic car is not for someone on a limited budget. Even if you do all the work yourself the costs can quickly exceed the value of the car. To me owning a classic car is like gambling. If you can't afford to lose money then don't do it.

John
                        John Pizzi - Squarebirds Administrator

Thunderbird Registry #36223
                        jopizz@squarebirds.org 856-779-9695

Comment

• Cwcb08
                          Experienced
                          • Oct 11 2016

Originally posted by jopizz
                          As you are finding out owning a classic car is not for someone on a limited budget. Even if you do all the work yourself the costs can quickly exceed the value of the car. To me owning a classic car is like gambling. If you can't afford to lose money then don't do it.

John
                          A little bit of A and a whole lot of B, I can spend some money on it but I do not want to spend more than it will ever be worth ( mechanically or cosmetically ), its not something I intend to keep forever its a stepping stone

Comment

• Cwcb08
                            Experienced
                            • Oct 11 2016

If it is the alternator a guy from work who restores cars as a side business suggested a single wire gm alternator does anyone have insight on this?

Or what 3 wire one from the rockauto website I should be looking at, they range from 31-81$

I will be doing trouble shooting on the weekend to figure out what it is for sure before doing anything
                            Last edited by Cwcb08; August 4, 2017, 06:47 PM.

Comment

• simplyconnected
                              Administrator
                              • May 26 2009

Single wire alternators were never used in production cars. People think, because there is only one wire, it must be easy enough where no knowledge of electricity is required.

The problem with that is, the one-wire won't charge until rpm's are well above idle speeds. That defeats the whole purpose of an alternator. You want it to charge whenever the engine is running.

So, what do production cars use? Three wires: One is a ground, another feeds the battery and the third wire comes from your GEN light to 'sense' the key is ON. When the key is off, the alt turns off so the internal voltage regulator won't drain your battery.

Personally, I think one-wire alternators belong on hot rods. They work, but not as you would expect. - Dave

--Lee Iacocca

Comment

• Cwcb08
                                Experienced
                                • Oct 11 2016

Ok thats good to know Dave, Thank you

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎