Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jopizz
    Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

This is what it looks like. If the whole piece is turning I'm afraid the column may have to come apart.

John
    Attached Files
    John Pizzi - Squarebirds Administrator

Thunderbird Registry #36223
    jopizz@squarebirds.org 856-779-9695

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm

Comment

• tmac5019
      • Jul 1 2014

Originally posted by jopizz
      I've never seen it happen where the contacts inside the steering column have come loose. Sounds like that's what has happened to yours. I'll see if I can find a picture of how they connect inside the column. If you can move the contacts independent of the shift lever than that's a problem.

John
      yes i can move it with my fingers.....i had the wheel off along with the shift lever when i replaced the detent plate and installed a new lever could i have done something then to cause this if so can it be fixed

Comment

• simplyconnected
        Administrator
        • May 26 2009

Originally posted by tmac5019
        yes i can move it with my fingers.....i had the wheel off along with the shift lever when i replaced the detent plate and installed a new lever could i have done something then to cause this if so can it be fixed
        Yes, of course. The whole column is screwed together. I can't help but think that you forgot screws, somewhere. Some of the screws are 'tricky' but they are doable. - Dave
        Member, Sons of the American Revolution

CLICK HERE to see my custom hydraulic roller 390 FE build.

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
        --Lee Iacocca

Comment

• Yadkin
          Banned
          • Aug 11 2012

This is what it looks like. If the whole piece is turning I'm afraid the column may have to come apart.

John
          Wow that's a lot different design than my '64. Those look like electrical contacts as part of the inner tube.

Comment

• tmac5019
            • Jul 1 2014

nss

Originally posted by tmac5019
            well took the steering off and checked that there are no screws missing everthing is in place ......guess the colunm has to come out not looking forward to that but just another labor of love for old cars i want thank you all for your help this is a great site glad i joined!....take care all....tmac

Comment

• simplyconnected
              Administrator
              • May 26 2009

Take lots of pictures as you go.

--Lee Iacocca

Comment

• jopizz
                Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

According to the parts drawing that Dave posted I can't see anything that holds that part in place. I think it's part # 7A022. Maybe I'm missing something. It looks like it just wraps around the column.

John
                John Pizzi - Squarebirds Administrator

Thunderbird Registry #36223
                jopizz@squarebirds.org 856-779-9695

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm

Comment

• simplyconnected
                  Administrator
                  • May 26 2009

According to the parts drawing that Dave posted I can't see anything that holds that part in place. I think it's part # 7A022. Maybe I'm missing something. It looks like it just wraps around the column.

John
                  I agree. Your part number is right, too. I was looking at other columns (like Falcon & Bronco) that also use that part but I see no screws. Squarebird and Galaxie columns don't use that part so I just don't know without taking the column apart. - Dave

--Lee Iacocca

Comment

• tmac5019
                    • Jul 1 2014

nss

John
                    7A022 THATS WHAT I WAS JUST LOOKING AT ALSO DONT SEEM TO BE ANY HOLDING IT DONT KNOW UNTIL I GET IN THERE THANKS AGIAN FELLAS

Comment

Working...
                    😀
                    🥰
                    🤢
                    😎
                    😡
                    👍
                    👎