• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • philbird60
    Apprentice
    • Dec 29 2011

schraeder valve from transmission?

On a 1960 T-bird with cruise-o-matic,
    what is the steel tube that comes up from the transmission, and bolts to the back of the exhaust manifold, terminating with a schraeder valve ?
    It definitely looks original, but there is no mention in the shop manual of it, and that crazy long-winded manual mentions freakin' EVERYTHING!
  • YellowRose
    Super-Experienced

• Jan 21 2008

Hi Phil, from your description that sounds like the tranny test tube they used to test the tranny before it left the factory. They just left them in place. Here is a picture of one left in place.
    Attached Files

Ray Clark - Squarebirds Administrator
    The Terminator..... VTCI #11178 ITC #6000 Yellow Mustang Registry (YMR) #12188
    Contact me via Private Message for my email address, or Call (Cell) 210-875-1411

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm
    Faye's Ovarian Cancer Memorial Website.
    https://faye.rayclark.info/index.html

Comment

• philbird60
      Apprentice
      • Dec 29 2011

that's the one! weird. So it does nothing after it leaves the factory?

Comment

Hey Phil,
        It was discussed before to remove it and cap off the hole in the tranny! If you don't like it
        Richard D. Hord

Comment

• YellowRose
          Super-Experienced

• Jan 21 2008

Nope, it was just used at the factory to test the tranny and I guess they figured it was to much of a hassle to remove it from every car they made, so they just left it in place.

Ray Clark - Squarebirds Administrator
          The Terminator..... VTCI #11178 ITC #6000 Yellow Mustang Registry (YMR) #12188
          Contact me via Private Message for my email address, or Call (Cell) 210-875-1411

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm
          Faye's Ovarian Cancer Memorial Website.
          https://faye.rayclark.info/index.html

Comment

• Alan H. Tast, AIA
            Experienced
            • Jan 5 2008

Originally posted by philbird60
            On a 1960 T-bird with cruise-o-matic,
            what is the steel tube that comes up from the transmission, and bolts to the back of the exhaust manifold, terminating with a schraeder valve ?
            It definitely looks original, but there is no mention in the shop manual of it, and that crazy long-winded manual mentions freakin' EVERYTHING!
            Take another look in the '60 shop manual in the transmission section - it should have a photo showing a hand-held gauge hooked up to the Schrader valve. Ford had a pressure gauge kit for dealers to check the transmission, but I don't remember if it was for fluid pressure or vacuum draw, and I'm too lazy right now to dig out the manual to see what it says.
            Alan H. Tast AIA, LEED AP BD+C
            Technical Director/Past President, Vintage Thunderbird Club Int'l.
            Author, "Thunderbird 1955-1966" & "Thunderbird 50 Years"

Comment

• philbird60
              Apprentice
              • Dec 29 2011

Oh, it's not a question of liking it or not.. just wanted to make sure there wasn't some maintenance procedure I was overlooking.

Comment

• simplyconnected
                Administrator
                • May 26 2009

I'm with Richard Hord... You can leave it or take it off, your choice. You aren't missing any maintenance procedures. It seems that the dealership mechanics just left it there after they were done verifying their pressure checks. I'm sure most were removed and discarded. - Dave
                Member, Sons of the American Revolution

CLICK HERE to see my custom hydraulic roller 390 FE build.

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
                --Lee Iacocca

Comment

• partsetal
                  Super-Experienced
                  • Jun 4 2005

This is most likely the tester that was used for the test.
                  Carl
                  Attached Files

Comment

• philbird60
                    Apprentice
                    • Dec 29 2011

Wow, neat!

Comment

• davidvend
                      Apprentice
                      • Aug 29 2009

Mine has the schraeder valve also, I thought it was for adding air to the rear air shocks which I don't have. I put some air into it and I heard a gurgling sound and thought that was odd it is a high pressure line. I've had my car around 20 years and last month the steel line broke at the flair nut on the bottom of the trans and it sprayed the trany fluid down and all over the garage floor and driveway. What a mess thank goodness it didn't spray upward. I think they look cool but you might want to disconnect it from the tranmission my original thought was the rear seal had sprung a leak. Lost a quart of fluid in about 1 minute. David

Comment

Working...
                      😀
                      🥰
                      🤢
                      😎
                      😡
                      👍
                      👎