X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • NewBird13
    • Jan 13 2012

Is this a 390 Truck Engine?

Hey all
    I recently bought a rebuilt 390. When going over it I realized the casting number on the block says D3TE. I know the D3 is 1973 but I am unsure on the TE? I keep finding contradicting information on what is what.
    If it is in fact a truck engine what changes will need to be made to compensate?
    Thanks
  • NewBird13
    • Jan 13 2012

It also has a mirror image 105 and an x on the block if this helps

Comment

It is ...

from a pickup truck. No changes required. Your thinking of the FT series engines (332,361,391) from the bigger trucks. Mike

Comment

Mirror 105 blocks ...

Originally posted by NewBird13
        It also has a mirror image 105 and an x on the block if this helps
        have the advantage of having the additional main webbing like the CJ blocks. Better than your average bear Boo Boo. Mike

Comment

• NewBird13
          • Jan 13 2012

Thats good to know Mike. Thanks a lot.
          Last edited by NewBird13; March 26, 2012, 05:40 PM.

Comment

• juantejeda
            Experienced
            • May 7 2004

Truck engine

Hey all
            I recently bought a rebuilt 390. When going over it I realized the casting number on the block says D3TE. I know the D3 is 1973 but I am unsure on the TE? I keep finding contradicting information on what is what.
            If it is in fact a truck engine what changes will need to be made to compensate?
            Thanks
            Pretty sure that this is the block I have in my Squarebird. I was told that it was a truck engine when they restored the car. The original 351 couldn't be saved and they found a good truck block. I have never checked the Casting numbers, but I could.
            TJ
            Thunderbird Registry #7960

Comment

• Astrowing
              Experienced
              • Jul 22 2009

It probably has a two barrel intake manifold and a truck cam though, does it not?
              sigpic

CLICK HERE for Jim's web site

Comment

• simplyconnected
                Administrator
                • May 26 2009

...If it is in fact a truck engine what changes will need to be made to compensate?
                Thanks
                I recently got the same block. Like Jim described...
                Originally posted by Astrowing
                It probably has a two barrel intake manifold and a truck cam though, does it not?
                It also had something I never heard of, lower compression pistons.

To directly answer your question, what are you trying to compensate for? Original Squarebirds used premium gas and higher compression ratios. Today, lower compression and regular gas sounds even better unless you're trying to race to the cruise. The block itself is beefier than a car block but the dimensions and crank are the same.

I am building this truck block for Penelope in Australia. He has desert conditions so I'm keeping as much aluminum as possible, 9.2:1 compression ratio, and roller cam for today's oil.

EDIT: In my estimation, the 1973 block is much better because of parts availability. But a word of caution... Mine came with a nylon timing set, and half the teeth were missing on the cam sprocket. True Roller timing sets are available everywhere for your '73 engine. I suggest you change yours ASAP. - Dave
                Last edited by simplyconnected; March 29, 2012, 04:18 PM.
                Member, Sons of the American Revolution

CLICK HERE to see my custom hydraulic roller 390 FE build.

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
                --Lee Iacocca

Comment

• NewBird13
                  • Jan 13 2012

thanks for all the information guys.
                  Dave, I will be using this vehicle as a summer cruiser, no track or anything. I guess I wasnt trying to compensate for anything with the new engine, just replacing a blown one.

Jim, to answer your question it has a 4 barrel intake and i havent gotten around to looking at the cam yet. What should I look for to identify it as a truck cam or not?

Comment

• Astrowing
                    Experienced
                    • Jul 22 2009

A truck or RV cam is designed for better torque at lower RPMs and typically would have more lift and shorter duration. There would be a part number on it that you could use to figure out what type of cam it is. Also, if you think it is and original from a '73 truck there will probably be specs on it in the '73 truck manual that you could compare to Squarebirds specs. Short of that, you could degree the engine using a degree wheel and dial indicator and that will tell you what the lift is, lobe separation and where it is installed. It is highly recommended that you do this when replacing your timing chain whether you leave the cam as is or change it in any case. Be aware that pre-'63 cams and timing chains are different and not interchangeable with the later FE ones. From your planned usage, I think you would be happy with a truck/RV cam in any case.
                    sigpic

CLICK HERE for Jim's web site

Comment

• KULTULZ

The FE was discontinued in 1970 on the passenger car line and all assembly went to Light Truck (360/390). Both the 2V and 4V were available according to desired power rating.

The FE 105 block is the desired block for a performance engine (other than the cross-bolted 406/427).

Comment

Working...
                      😀
                      🥰
                      🤢
                      😎
                      😡
                      👍
                      👎