Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • 430bird
    • Jun 22 2010

Distributor question

I was recently told that an MSD distributor for a 352 would fit a 430. Is their any truth to this or is it just the ramblings of an old man?

Thanks
  • 63-4drpost
    Experienced
    • Feb 14 2009

distributor interchange

I too have been wondering about that. I am going to take the distributor out of my 430 powered 1960 T-Bird today and compare it to a 352 one I have. I am thinking if the gear on the 3 52 FE dist. is installed on the 430 dist., it will work. I will let you know later today.

Comment

I'm thinking it will ...

just can't recall where I got the info, but then again there's a lot of things I don't remember. Mike

Comment

• 63-4drpost
        Experienced
        • Feb 14 2009

boy am I stupid!

I cannot find my 390 distributor ,so I can't compare it to my 430. I have a friend bringing a 390 distributor this weekend, so I will be able to compare the 2 of them . Sorry

Comment

• tbird430
          Super-Experienced
          • Jun 18 2007

Originally posted by 63-4drpost
          I too have been wondering about that. I am going to take the distributor out of my 430 powered 1960 T-Bird today and compare it to a 352 one I have. I am thinking if the gear on the 3 52 FE dist. is installed on the 430 dist., it will work. I will let you know later today.

Surely you meant to say a 430cid dist. gear on a 352/390cid dist. would make a 352/390cid distributor work in a 430cid block??

sigpic
          The 1960 Ford Thunderbird. The WORLD'S most wanted car....

VTCI Member#6287.

Comment

• 63-4drpost
            Experienced
            • Feb 14 2009

352 dist in 430??

i got the distributors so I can compare the 352/390 distributor to my 430 .
            NO WAY!!
            The machined 'shoulders" on the lower parts of the dist. are different diameters. 430 is 1.60, 352 is 1.550. The second shoulder from the bottom is also different, 430 is 1.86, 352 is 1.75"The top shoulder is the same diameter, but in a slightly different location(higher).The 430 gear is larger than the 352, although the shaft size is the same on both. I will try to load a picture.

Comment

• YellowRose
              Super-Experienced

• Jan 21 2008

Distributor question

Hi Henry, thanks for posting that information. If you do not figure out how to post the pix, send them to me and I can post them for you Hopefully, the guys and gals here will find this information helpful.

Ray Clark - Squarebirds Administrator
              The Terminator..... VTCI #11178 ITC #6000 Yellow Mustang Registry (YMR) #12188
              Contact me via Private Message for my email address, or Call (Cell) 210-875-1411

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm
              Faye's Ovarian Cancer Memorial Website.
              https://faye.rayclark.info/index.html

Comment

• 63-4drpost
                Experienced
                • Feb 14 2009

dist pics

Comment

• KULTULZ

A member (I cannot remember his name) at THE MEL ENGINE FORUM had MSD run some special distributors for the MEL a few years ago.

He may still have a few.

Comment

Distributor ...

You could take an FE housing and weld up the two offending sections and turn them to the correct size or install thin bushings in the block or rings on the housing. Where there's a will there's a way. Might also look at an FT distributor they have a larger section in a least one of those areas. Mike
                    Last edited by Guest; March 15, 2012, 06:50 AM.

Comment

Working...
                    😀
                    🥰
                    🤢
                    😎
                    😡
                    👍
                    👎