Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Wudro
    Experienced
    • Jan 25 2015

Cool Dave, Thanks Bud. One last thing,.. Is there anything else I should order while I'm into it? I see "support brackets & heat shields & insulators etc..." in the vendors catalogs. Or is the Motor Mount all I need?
    SquareBird in BirdCity

Comment

• Wudro
      Experienced
      • Jan 25 2015

After much deliberation, I ordered a new set of steel wheels. Half the order arrived today. Went with 15"x7" to accommodate future Disc Brakes. A local classic boneyard "Hidden Valley" had some elderly ones for $45 each. With sandblasting and powder coating the cost wasn't worth the risk. I know these fit and are true. Will mount some temporary thin white walls with only 200 miles on em I previously had on my Lincoln later this week. Already have the beauty rings but my dog dish hubs are too small. Searching for a new set now.
      Attached Files
      SquareBird in BirdCity

Comment

• Daleo56
        Experienced
        • Dec 27 2014

Good call on the rims. I ordered a good set from Summit for cheap. Less than refinishing old ones and true as can be!
        Tim Daleo
        Azusa, California
        https://www.flickr.com/photos/daleo1/albums

Thunderbird Registry Entry

Comment

• 619Square
          Apprentice
          • Aug 20 2009

Originally posted by Wudro
          After much deliberation, I ordered a new set of steel wheels. Half the order arrived today. Went with 15"x7" to accommodate future Disc Brakes. A local classic boneyard "Hidden Valley" had some elderly ones for $45 each. With sandblasting and powder coating the cost wasn't worth the risk. I know these fit and are true. Will mount some temporary thin white walls with only 200 miles on em I previously had on my Lincoln later this week. Already have the beauty rings but my dog dish hubs are too small. Searching for a new set now.
          Love this style!
          --------------------------------
          1960 Thunderbird
          Been in my family since 1961
          Portland, OR

Comment

• Wudro
            Experienced
            • Jan 25 2015

Originally posted by 619Square
            Love this style!
            Thanks, me too!
            Attached Files
            SquareBird in BirdCity

Comment

• 619Square
              Apprentice
              • Aug 20 2009

Looks great! love to see the center caps in!!
              --------------------------------
              1960 Thunderbird
              Been in my family since 1961
              Portland, OR

Comment

• Wudro
                Experienced
                • Jan 25 2015

Sorry guys but not much to report. Wish I could tell everyone I've done more but I'm officially in Opposite Hibernation. Here, the Summers keep us on lockdown, a complete contrast to the rest of the country. I read the forum every day though, and learn a lot from and enjoy every post. Thanks guys.
                I swapped my 9 1/2" dog dish hubs for "Yellowrose" copy cats and I love em! There will be some progress soon, but it should pick up this Fall. In the meantime, I'm a traveler and will get some Heat Relief in July for a couple weeks on my first trip to Europe. Keep posting guys!
                Attached Files
                SquareBird in BirdCity

Comment

• YellowRose
                  Super-Experienced

• Jan 21 2008

1960 T-Bird Project

Ryan, I certainly understand what you mean when you talk about it being to hot to work on the Bird. It is much the same here, although this year, so far, because of all the rain we have been having, we are running about 5 or more degrees cooler than we normally are at this time of the summer. I usually stop going to S&S events at this time of year, because it takes to much out of me to be out in 90-100 temps cleaning up a car for a car show. Then standing around in that heat. So I have stopped doing that.

Congratulations on snagging a set of dog dishes similar to mine! I like mine and I get a lot of nice comments about how nice the car looks with the yellow painted rims, the 14" beauty rings, topped off with those dog dish hubcaps! Have a safe and enjoyable trip to Europe. One of our members "down under" will also be making that trip all over Europe in a few more days for several months!

Ray Clark - Squarebirds Administrator
                  The Terminator..... VTCI #11178 ITC #6000 Yellow Mustang Registry (YMR) #12188
                  Contact me via Private Message for my email address, or Call (Cell) 210-875-1411

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm
                  Faye's Ovarian Cancer Memorial Website.
                  https://faye.rayclark.info/index.html

Comment

• Joe Johnston
                    Super-Experienced
                    • Dec 23 2008

Sorry to bust in, similar but different! We all like 'em!!!

I wonder how many variations of small caps with white paint Ford made?

Comment

• Wudro
                      Experienced
                      • Jan 25 2015

Any thoughts on this guys?

Too expensive? Not complete? Better off searching for individual parts?
                      SquareBird in BirdCity

Comment

• arizonajack
                        Experienced
                        • Oct 15 2013

Wudro,

What's the name of the tranny shop you used?

Comment

• simplyconnected
                          Administrator
                          • May 26 2009

Originally posted by Wudro
                          Any thoughts on this guys?

Too expensive? Not complete? Better off searching for individual parts?
                          By far, the biggest concern, when going to disk brakes, is whether 14" wheels will fit. I can tell you this for sure, this eBay offering uses rotors that are 11.72" in diameter. 14" wheels will never fit under this rotor.

Scarebird brackets use S-10 calipers and 11" rotors that WILL fit a 14" Granada/Mustang wheel. Most recently, Yellowbird (Leonard Wheeler) is using Summitracing.com steel 14" wheels with Scarebird brackets on his 1958 Squarebird. Yellowbird also wears the original 'sunburst' full wheel covers. By looking at his car on the street, nobody would know he has power disk brakes that stop like a modern car.

With the Scarebird system, you can keep using your original bearings, seals, grease cup, etc. They conveniently fit a Mustang rotor. Another consideration is the hub diameter. The Mustang rotor's hub matches your Squarebird's hub diameter. This rotor's hub is larger and may need to be machined to fit some wheel hubs. - Dave
                          Member, Sons of the American Revolution

CLICK HERE to see my custom hydraulic roller 390 FE build.

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
                          --Lee Iacocca

Comment

• Wudro
                            Experienced
                            • Jan 25 2015

A lot of cool stuff recently on the forum! A huge variety that I can surely appreciate. Well, the Sun has shifted South and the Desert Rats are out and about. I've been seeing tons of Classics Cruising around and a couple of T-Birds as well. Hope to see some members at Good Guys and Barrett Jackson in the next couple months here in AZ.
                            I got my Pops to come out of retirement and meet me in the shop every Wednesday until June or so while the weather is nice. We'll work for a few hours then plan what to accomplish for the next week. In between I'll do what I can after work and on the weekends. Seems like a good routine! Here he is under the dash gettin busy. Plus a pile of parts I gotta make room for.
                            Attached Files
                            SquareBird in BirdCity

Comment

• Wudro
                              Experienced
                              • Jan 25 2015

While remaining indoors recently, I've polished all interior chrome including glove box door, window trim, door spears, rear view mirror, emblems etc. Polish plus Aluminum Foil has brought it back to near perfect condition. Carl at partsetal got me an excellent drivers door spear to replace my damaged one quickly and at a reasonable price. Also primed and painted both horns, license plate holder, heater box and motor. Bumped the motor and it works! I'm steady installing the black square inserts purchased from John Draxler at T-Bird Ranch on the Fender Ornaments (Finished) and the Tail Lights (Not even Close).
                              Nothing too major but taking care of a lot of small things that need to be done.
                              Removing the under dash trim I ran into this push button on the driver's side. Anybody ever seen this? (Above and slightly to the left of the E-Brake handle). It appears after market and I can't find any references in any of my manuals. My Dad said it's for the Ejector Seat, but with a hardtop...not so sure. Hehe. Any thoughts? It has 2 conductors and the wires were already cut so I couldn't trace them out...
                              Attached Files
                              SquareBird in BirdCity

Comment

• Daleo56
                                Experienced
                                • Dec 27 2014

Aluminum foil is the way to go!
                                Tim Daleo
                                Azusa, California
                                https://www.flickr.com/photos/daleo1/albums

Thunderbird Registry Entry

Comment