Collapse
No announcement yet.

58 tbird camshaft

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

So just loosen the 4 bolts on top of the shaft.
    Thanks.

Comment

• simplyconnected
      Administrator
      • May 26 2009

#2 bolt (from the front) is different on the driver's side (LH). #3 is the same on the RH head. Take the bolts loose as an assembly, and lift the whole thing to the side. Take pictures as you go. Disassemble the shafts and clean the inside. Re-assemble if the shafts are not worn or scored badly. Both rocker assemblies are identical.

You will notice that the second bolt has a skinnier shank. It's because oil for the rocker shafts come from this tower and the bolt is undercut to allow for more oil flow.

If you are changing cams, pull the distributor out, pushrods out of both sides and keep track of where they came from. Then pull the intake manifold, then the lifters. Keep the lifter/pushrod pairs together unless you find the lifters are too worn (dished at the face). Normally, when we change cams we don't put the old lifters back, we buy a new set.

Next, pull both heads. Again, this is an area where you don't want to go cheap. Do whatever machining it takes to bring these heads back to stock.

I love doing head work outside in the sun. (I know you're in winter right now.) But I make a wooden table, disassemble all the keepers, springs, valves, seals, and I check for worn guides. As a minimum, have the machine shop tank and both heads decked, your seats machined, new inserts installed and any guides repaired or replaced (clearance is under two thousandths inch). You can do the assembly at home. Buy new stainless valves. Over here, new springs cost 25-cents each, so I put new ones in. New springs make a difference in performance because they aren't stiff.

Buy a good timing set, and advance your cam by 4 degrees. This is a good time to change your oil pump and driveshaft. You will need a Master Engine Gasket Set. Buy Fel-Pro.

Get what you can from Rockauto.com as they have decent prices on quality parts. - Dave
      Member, Sons of the American Revolution

CLICK HERE to see my custom hydraulic roller 390 FE build.

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
      --Lee Iacocca

Comment

Thanks mate, yep eventually figured the different bolt out, all looks good there. I'm hoping to pull the motor in the next week or 2 so I'll get more into it then.
        Haha yeah Sun would be nice, I live in the hills, but luckily I have a fireplace and a beer fridge so all is good.
        Thanks again.

Comment

• simplyconnected
          Administrator
          • May 26 2009

Hey, we speak "Foster's" over here too, mate. Stay warm.

My folks are from the mountains of Pennsylvania. I always said dad had one leg longer than the other from running those ridges. - Dave
          Member, Sons of the American Revolution

CLICK HERE to see my custom hydraulic roller 390 FE build.

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
          --Lee Iacocca

Comment

Yep and them fosters may go down a bit faster now after today's work haha.

Comment

Working...
            😀
            🥰
            🤢
            😎
            😡
            👍
            👎