X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • kevin_tbird
    Experienced
    • Jun 12 2011

Transmission Crossmember mounting Help

This is embarrassing, but I cannot figure out how to mount the transmission cross-member to the body in my 60 with a 352 and cruise-o-matic.

I have the shop manual and diagram 6 on page 6-22 shows a two part bracket that mounts to the underbody on each side. I took this car apart over 10 years ago and cannot find any bracket.

However, even if I had the bracket I do not see any mounting holes at that location. Would the part of the bracket with the two bolts pass through from inside the car?

If someone could take a picture or describe the mounting I could probably find or fabricate the correct mount. This is the last item before putting the drive line back into the vehicle - thanks so much for your help.

I was sent to this set of pictures http://www.squarebirds.org/users/john_orwin/page5/page5.html and it shows the brackets from the manual. I poked around a bit more and found 4 holes at the edge of the tunnel that might fit the cross-member. Is it possible the brackets were only for the 430 engine?

Kevin
    Last edited by kevin_tbird; July 10, 2011, 08:23 AM.
  • tp tbird
    Experienced
    • Dec 17 2007

Cross member mount

Originally posted by kevin_tbird
    This is embarrassing, but I cannot figure out how to mount the transmission cross-member to the body in my 60 with a 352 and cruise-o-matic.

I have the shop manual and diagram 6 on page 6-22 shows a two part bracket that mounts to the underbody on each side. I took this car apart over 10 years ago and cannot find any bracket.

However, even if I had the bracket I do not see any mounting holes at that location. Would the part of the bracket with the two bolts pass through from inside the car?

If someone could take a picture or describe the mounting I could probably find or fabricate the correct mount. This is the last item before putting the drive line back into the vehicle - thanks so much for your help.

I was sent to this set of pictures http://www.squarebirds.org/users/john_orwin/page5/page5.html and it shows the brackets from the manual. I poked around a bit more and found 4 holes at the edge of the tunnel that might fit the cross-member. Is it possible the brackets were only for the 430 engine?

Kevin
    4 on each side in the trans hump inside that go threw to the cross member to bolts it up.That picture from john shows them.Tom
    Last edited by tp tbird; July 10, 2011, 10:01 AM. Reason: wrong amount of boltsper side

Comment

• kevin_tbird
      Experienced
      • Jun 12 2011

The holes in my car are in a different location which is why I am asking if a 352 is different for a 430 mount - they were different transmissions. I'm not sure how to post pictures or I would.

Mine looks like the cross-member mounts directly to the floor of the car with four bolts and nuts. No bracket at all.

Comment

• tp tbird
        Experienced
        • Dec 17 2007

cross member

The holes in my car are in a different location which is why I am asking if a 352 is different for a 430 mount - they were different transmissions. I'm not sure how to post pictures or I would.

Mine looks like the cross-member mounts directly to the floor of the car with four bolts and nuts. No bracket at all.
        I have a 430 and a 352 ,I neaver took the one out from the 352 ,but I think they mount the same.The mounting bolts go threw from the in side and the cross member bolts to the the studs that go thew if I recall when I took the one from the 430 out.

Comment

• YellowRose
          Super-Experienced

• Jan 21 2008

There are three ways to post pix on this Forum. 1. Become a Paid Member by making a $20 donation through PayPal by clicking on the Donate to Site button on the upper right side of this Forum. That also gives you 20mb of web space on our Forum for you own web page for your car. 2. Go to a free photo hosting website like Photobucket, set up an account, upload your pix to it, and then post the link to those pix here. 3. Send the pix to me and I can post them for you.

Ray Clark - Squarebirds Administrator
          The Terminator..... VTCI #11178 ITC #6000 Yellow Mustang Registry (YMR) #12188
          Contact me via Private Message for my email address, or Call (Cell) 210-875-1411

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm
          Faye's Ovarian Cancer Memorial Website.
          https://faye.rayclark.info/index.html

Comment

• tp tbird
            Experienced
            • Dec 17 2007

Cross member mount

If you look at the picture the bigger pieces bolts to the floor next to the hump and the smaller ones goes to the sides of the hump.I think the brackets are for more strength.Pretty sure that is what they look like on 352 and 430's .I have a picture of the underside of my 430 that shows the bolts on the underside if that would help.I can send it to Ray if you want to see it?
            Last edited by tp tbird; July 10, 2011, 10:35 AM. Reason: add more

Comment

• YellowRose
              Super-Experienced

• Jan 21 2008

Tom ~ tp tbird sent me this pic to post. Hopefully, it will help you.
              Attached Files

Contact me via Private Message for my email address, or Call (Cell) 210-875-1411

Comment

• YellowRose
                Super-Experienced

• Jan 21 2008

Hi Kevin, Yup! Email me your pix to my email addy below and I will post for you.

Comment

• YellowRose
                  Super-Experienced

• Jan 21 2008

Here are two pix Kevin sent me.
                  Attached Files

Comment

• kevin_tbird
                    Experienced
                    • Jun 12 2011

When looking at the bottom picture the top is along the tunnel and the right is the front of the car. The holes are in the floorboard. I believe the distance between the holes in the cross member is the same as the distance across the tunnel.

Comment

• DKheld
                      Super-Experienced
                      • Aug 27 2008

Mine's a '60 / 352 but don't have a very good way at the moment to get you any pics other than throwing the arm under the car with a camera attached. Maybe these will help? Try not to laugh at 51 years of grease...

Eric
                      registry 5347

Comment

• kevin_tbird
                        Experienced
                        • Jun 12 2011

Eric -

Thanks so much. Yours looks like mine - no bracket. Based on your pictures and my car I don not think that a bracket was used with a 352 engine - automatic.

If you get a chance to look under the carpet please let me know if each bolt is independent of the other or if there is some type of bracket or support on the inside of the vehicle.

Thanks,

KEvin

Comment

• DKheld
                          Super-Experienced
                          • Aug 27 2008

No problem - I can "unborrow" my floor jack from a friend and get a better pic later this week if you still need - not really wanting to lift the car with the bumper jack - eeek. It's off the road at the moment for A/C installation so can't take it by a shop with a lift.

As for the interior - only thing I'm working on now is under the dash and hood so no plans on taking out the seats and console to get to the transmission mount area - sorry - hopefully someone else will have that pic.

Good luck on the resto.....

Eric

Comment

• kevin_tbird
                            Experienced
                            • Jun 12 2011

I found the mounting brackets. The studs push through from the inside of the car under the carpet near the tunnel. Here are pictures for reference.
                            Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                            😀
                            🥰
                            🤢
                            😎
                            😡
                            👍
                            👎