Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jandjinfla
    • May 18 2014

1960 T-Bird dash bezels

Are all the Dash Bezels on the 1960 T-Bird supposed to be back lighted including the ignition ?

I want to get new bezels. Does it matter if the letters on the bezels are clear or green ?
  • Tbird1044
    Super-Experienced
    • Jul 31 2012

Joe:
    When I look in the Larry's catalog, they show both the green and clear bezels listed for the 1960. Not sure if one is correct over the other.
    There are 4 bulbs in the back of the instrument cluster to illuminate the switches (2 in each housing on each side of the dash) On each switch, there is a plastic split ring, with one side beveled and painted white, which reflects the light from the bulb through the outer bezel.
    The bezels can be removed by unscrewing the center section of the switches. Ignition switch removes by rotating the center part about 1/4 turn (cam lock setup) There is a tool that fits these center sections or you can make one using a piece of tubing.
    I'll attach a few pics to show you what the rear of the dash looks like, just for reference.
    Nyles
    Attached Files

Comment

• jandjinfla
      • May 18 2014

1960 T-Bird dash bezels

Thanks Nyles,
      The photos are a big help. The folks on this site are blessed with knowledge. I will go with the green letters for contrast and also buy the tool.

Now for the key question, do I need to take the dash out to install the new bezels ? and if so do I need to remove the steering wheel as well ?

Joe

Comment

• Tbird1044
        Super-Experienced
        • Jul 31 2012

As long as you are not touching or changing the oil pressure/generator lights, you should not have to pull the dash to change the lettered bezels. The ignition switch, headlight switch, and windshield wiper control all have a center screw type setup.
        The ignition switch has a cam lock type setup. With a large screwdriver, you can turn the center section about 1/4 turn and it should release the bezel. Word of warning. There is a pretty large spring between the dash and ignition switch to hold it tightly in place. It comes apart easier than it goes back together. I found it a 2 person job putting it back together. One to push on the back of the ign. switch to hold it in place and another person to reattach the center section.
        The headlight switch is a little different. You need to snake your hand up inside the dash and find a small spring loaded button that will release the headlight white knob and shaft. Once this is out, then you can remove the center section and the bezel should be free.
        The windshield wiper switch has the knob attached with a small set screw. Loosen the screw and remove the knob. Then the center bezel section can be unscrewed and the bezel should be free.
        Cig. lighter is pretty straight forward.
        Nyles

Comment

• jandjinfla
          • May 18 2014

1960 T-Bird dash bezels

Nyles,
          Thanks again for all your help and advise.
          I will try to find a helper for the tricky part.
          Joe

Comment

• Daleo56
            Experienced
            • Dec 27 2014

Tim Daleo
            Azusa, California
            https://www.flickr.com/photos/daleo1/albums

Thunderbird Registry Entry

Comment

• jandjinfla
              • May 18 2014

1960 T-Bird dash bezels

Thanks for shedding some light on the subject.
              Joe

Comment

Working...
              😀
              🥰
              🤢
              😎
              😡
              👍
              👎