Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • TJA60GoldeTop
    • Jul 30 2009

60 Golde Top seal install

I have worked through the sliding roof mechanism instructions in this forum. My sliding roof operates well now. Thanks for the helpful info.

Now I need to install the roof seals. I purchased the rubber seal, rear felt seal and car body seal. Can someone please describe (photos?) how the seals should be positioned to get both a good water seal and easy sliding roof operation? In particular, how should the rear felt and car body seal beads be aligned vertically relative to the panel or roof? How should the rear felt seal and car body seal overlap at the sliding roof sides? I will appreciate any help that someone can provide.

Thanks,
    Tim
  • Rockin Kev
    Experienced
    • Oct 31 2002

Tim

Roof seals,
    The opening panel seal should be install so that the bead edge is just slightly, not much! above the sliding panel, so when you close the sliding panel onto the bead it forms a seal as the bead compress.
    Felt seal is for the rear of the sliding panel, and that bead should just sit slightly raised up so when you turn the sunroof handle the seal compress again against the roof panel to form a seal. Post your email address and i will try and find some photos for you.
    Kev.

Comment

• 430bird60
      Experienced
      • Dec 30 2008

60 Golde Top Seal

Kev

Would you mind sending photos of the seal installation to me, also. My email is kenm@sti.net.

Thanks
      Ken

Comment

• TJA60GoldeTop
        • Jul 30 2009

Kev,
        Thanks for the description. My email address is tabrott@comcast.net. If you can send photos that would be great.

I'm also interested in how the two seals meet on the side. It seems like there might be a tendency to bind the sliding panel from lifting as you turn the handle. I appreciate your help.
        Tim

Comment

• Jere S
          • Mar 26 2011

Hello.

I´m replacing seals on my 1960 Golde top and could use some help. The old seals were painted over or otherwise gone. I think some were missing altogether. If anyone can help on what kind of seals go where and where to get new seals, please send e-mail to: jere.siltala@gmail.com

Thanks!

Comment

• Vikingsde
            • Jun 8 2009

Roof Seals

Kev
            I am also interested in the photos,wonder if you can send to me to.My mail:viking@mbox310.swipnet.se
            Thank's Rolf

Comment

• YellowRose
              Super-Experienced

• Jan 21 2008

It has been some months since Kevin was last on the Forum. I have emailed him in England to see if he can come up on the Forum and give you some assistance.

Ray Clark - Squarebirds Administrator
              The Terminator..... VTCI #11178 ITC #6000 Yellow Mustang Registry (YMR) #12188
              Contact me via Private Message for my email address, or Call (Cell) 210-875-1411

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm
              Faye's Ovarian Cancer Memorial Website.
              https://faye.rayclark.info/index.html

Comment

• Stevenlesser
                • May 18 2015

Shower bird!

I'd love to hear about a sunroof seal soure ,for my 60 ,I think someone in the past has covered over the drain holes I looked at the old thread about how to apply them

Comment

• Harry LePargneux
                  Apprentice
                  • Sep 30 2010

Sunroof seals are available at the Bird Nest in Oregon.
                  If you put in new seals, let us know how they work!

Comment

• 430bird60
                    Experienced
                    • Dec 30 2008

Sunroof Seals

I am about ready to install my sunroof. I purchased new seals from Bird Nest and have read everything I can find regarding installation. If anyone has photos of the seals installed or could take some photos and post them it will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
                    Ken

Comment

• Harry LePargneux
                      Apprentice
                      • Sep 30 2010

Hi Ken
                      I only replaced the seal that goes across the back of the sliding panel (listed in the Bird Nest catalog as "B. Rear Felt Seal"). It sits along the back side of the panel raised slightly above the top of the panel. I tried to take pictures, but they do not show anything because this seal is barely visible except when looking straight down with the sunroof closed. My sunroof does not leak, so I have not installed the seal around the front of the opening. There is a gap around the front and sides, but water goes into the channel and drains through the drain holes front and rear. Hope this helps.
                      Harry

Comment

• Dan Leavens
                        Moderator / Administrator

• Oct 4 2006

Harry hope you are well.

Missed you at our Calgary Thunderbird Club S&S last Saturday at Knob Hill Community Center. Were you away?
                        Dano Calgary,Alberta Canada
                        Thunderbird Registry
                        58HT #33317
                        60 HT (Sold )

Comment

• Harry LePargneux
                          Apprentice
                          • Sep 30 2010

Hi Dan - all is well here. We had company from Arizona and I was unable to make it down for your S & S. Hope you and Marg are well and enjoying our wet summer. Harry

Comment

• 430bird60
                            Experienced
                            • Dec 30 2008

Hi Harry
                            Thanks for the information. I need to replace all three on my car and any help is appreciated. Hopefully, someone may have taken some pictures and will post them. if not, it will be trial and error. Thanks again.
                            Ken

Comment

Working...
                            😀
                            🥰
                            🤢
                            😎
                            😡
                            👍
                            👎