X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • YellowRose
    Super-Experienced

• Jan 21 2008

Reproduction Door Scuff Plates

I just talked with Tbird Hqs and the Bird Nest. Tbird Hqs does not make these plates, but the Bird Nest does. They said they are not aware of any problems with fitment, hole punches or size of these Squarebird door scuff plates. They said they have been making them for years from the masters they obtained from another company who was making them, without receiving any complaints. Like many reproduction parts, there are often only one or two, or so companies now making these parts today. Anyone who might have filed a complaint about these plates with the company they bought them from, might not have had that complaint passed on to the manufacturer. It could also be that someone else other than the Bird Nest is making these plates. They do not know if they are the only one. They take pride in trying to manufacturer these reproduction parts in the same manner of the OEM parts and do their best to do so. They are going to check into this and I will get back with them.

Furthermore, I will say this. From time to time, we receive comments regarding reproduction parts not meeting OEM specs. I would suggest the following to you when that happens. Contact the Tbird parts house that you ordered the parts from. Inform them of the problems you are experiencing with those parts. Ask them to notify the company that is making them to let them know that their product is not up to standards. OR... ask them to tell you who the manufacturer of that product is and YOU contact them to let them know directly what is wrong with their product. In that way, you put it directly in their hands, and they will know that people are reporting problems with their products. What they will do about it depends on a number of factors, one which is how many of those parts they sell, and whether or not it is financially viable for them to re-engineer and correct those problems...
    Last edited by YellowRose; January 5, 2017, 04:34 PM. Reason: Addtional Comments.

Ray Clark - Squarebirds Administrator
    The Terminator..... VTCI #11178 ITC #6000 Yellow Mustang Registry (YMR) #12188
    Contact me via Private Message for my email address, or Call (Cell) 210-875-1411

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm
    Faye's Ovarian Cancer Memorial Website.
    https://faye.rayclark.info/index.html

Comment

• Deanj
      Super-Experienced
      • Nov 26 2015

I'm still not happy with my new ill fitting scuff plates from Mac's. These are to shallow and too wide for the jam. I am considering either contacting Bird's Nest to see if theirs is different, or buffing and refinishing my dented originals.

What paint can replicate the original finish?

Dean

Comment

• sidewalkman
        Super-Experienced
        • Sep 14 2015

I got mine from Larrys, maybe it was a good batch but they actually fit fine.
        Scott
        South Delta, BC, Canada
        1960 White T-Bird, PS, PB that's it
        Red Leather Interior!
        www.squarebirds.org/users/sidewalkman
        Thunderbird Registry #61266
        http://www.squarebirds.org/picture_g...ibrary/trl.htm

Comment

• YellowRose
          Super-Experienced

• Jan 21 2008

Dean, here is what I did with my door scuff plates when I was doing the restoration/customization of Rose. I took them off and had them chromed! They came back looking like new. Then I took a clear adhesive, cut it to the proper length and width and laid it down over the newly chromed scuff plates and they look brand new to this day. So I did not have any problem with fitting replacement scuff plates by going that route. I do not remember what it cost me to have them both chromed, but it was not that much, as a recall. It was worth it to me.

Contact me via Private Message for my email address, or Call (Cell) 210-875-1411

Comment

• Deanj
            Super-Experienced
            • Nov 26 2015

I suppose I'll have to find a plating shop. The problem is my originals have many dents that I certainly couldn't get out before plating.

Bird's nest says they have the same Scuff plates as does everyone. It's such a large visible item and my frustration and money spent tick me off.

Dean

Comment

• YellowRose
              Super-Experienced

• Jan 21 2008

As I have said before, the two main manufacturers of Tbird parts for all Tbird vendors are the Bird Nest and Tbird Hqs. So all the Tbird parts houses obtain many of their parts from those two companies. So when you buy something like door scuff plates from other Tbird parts houses, they get them from the Bird Nest who manufactures them. Unless... There is someone else out there who is manufacturing them that they or I do not know of... When you are ordering parts from any Tbird parts house, a question you should ask perhaps is... Who is your supplier, or who manufacturers this part? And see what they say. When I ask that question, the answer I get is Tbird Hqs, or the Bird Nest....

Comment

• Deanj
                Super-Experienced
                • Nov 26 2015

I found a shop in NE Ohio that does chrome plating: Custom Chrome Plating. I inquired the cost to chrome door scuff plates which includes taking out all the dents: $400-$600 a pair.

Dean

Comment

• YellowRose
                  Super-Experienced

• Jan 21 2008

Dean, I can tell you exactly how much it cost me to have my two door scuff plates chromed back in 2009. $50 each, by Southwest Chrome Plating here in San Antonio. They shipped them to their chroming plant in Dallas, and a week or two later, they shipped them back here chromed. My contact would make a weekend run to Dallas with all the parts turned in for chroming. On Sunday, he would make the return trip with all the chromed pieces from previous turn ins. I have no idea what the cost would be now, but that cost quoted you is out of this world, compared to what it cost me. When I got mine back they looked great and still do because I laid down a clear plastic covering with a sticky bottom, over the entire length of the two steps. So when I step on them, I am stepping on the plastic strips...

Comment

• Dan Leavens
                    Moderator / Administrator

• Oct 4 2006

I found a shop in NE Ohio that does chrome plating: Custom Chrome Plating. I inquired the cost to chrome door scuff plates which includes taking out all the dents: $400-$600 a pair.

Dean

Dean I am with Ray on this quote,way too muchGiven it is only a pair of door sills,I would expect to pay someone between $80-100 each tops for the process. You would drop them off and pick them up of course but more than adequate for the time and process.
                    Dano Calgary,Alberta Canada
                    Thunderbird Registry
                    58HT #33317
                    60 HT (Sold )

Comment

• Deanj
                      Super-Experienced
                      • Nov 26 2015

Thanks gentlemen. The shop seemed concerned about the size. I can tell you they're the only game in town and 2 counties away. There's no one doing this in my county because of EPA rules.

Ray, for $50 each I get myself chromed.

Dean

Comment

• Richard Honeycutt
                        Apprentice
                        • Oct 8 2007

Scuff plates

I have purchased repro plates twice before I caught on they come from the same source. I was very disappointed with them and I did complain to Bird Nest. They are so thin not much more than aluminum wrap, they are not the right size and the holes don't match up. I bought a new pair and waited until the day I took my car for judging at the International held in Kansas City to install them. Sure enough when the judge opened the pass door the plate was smashed. Seems the plate was too wide and so thin that closing the door bent it. I finally bought a used set from Carl. I'll check locall you for Chrome plating prices. I felt ripped off both times I bought repros, and when I complained I was told that's all that's available . My advice is to talk with someone like Carl and get a decent set of used ones and avoid wasting your money on junk.

Comment

• YellowRose
                          Super-Experienced

• Jan 21 2008

Richard gave us some really good advice. There have been problems with fit on reproduction door scuff plates. Carl can tell you if he has some spare sets or not. If not, there are several listings in the For Sale / Parts Wanted Forum. Ask the guys there if they have any for sale off their parts cars. I think Tbird Hqs, and one or two others have some parts cars. I think that Don told me they no longer have anymore. In my situation, mine were in good condition, without any dents or problems, just scuffed up a bit. So I opted to have them chromed, along with the bottom wrap around pieces of the seats. That material on those sections is the same kind of material on the center console as I recall. I had them take off the material and chrome those pieces also. It really sets the seats off, along with the chromed scuff plates, IMHO...

Comment

Working...
                          😀
                          🥰
                          🤢
                          😎
                          😡
                          👍
                          👎