X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Tbird1044
    Super-Experienced
    • Jul 31 2012

Hi Octane Fuel?

Just reading through the old owners manual and they indicate to use the higher octane fuels in the 60 Birds. Compression ratio is showing 9.6:1 which is marginal for the older cars to run on regular fuel. For those that have a daily driver, what fuel are you using?? One day mine will be road ready.
  • YellowRose
    Super-Experienced

• Jan 21 2008

Hi Octane Fuel?

I am using the Hi Octane fuel in my '59 Tbird.

Ray Clark - Squarebirds Administrator
    The Terminator..... VTCI #11178 ITC #6000 Yellow Mustang Registry (YMR) #12188
    Contact me via Private Message for my email address, or Call (Cell) 210-875-1411

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm
    Faye's Ovarian Cancer Memorial Website.
    https://faye.rayclark.info/index.html

Comment

• djberson
      Experienced
      • Jun 10 2012

I use only high-test in every old car I drive. Sometimes I have gotten away with mid-grade, but not always so I just use high-test by routine.

Comment

• Tbird1044
        Super-Experienced
        • Jul 31 2012

Thanks for the input. Once I get the car on the road (if ever) it's probably worth the extra cost for the octane. When I had the engine rebuilt, I did spend the extra $$$ to install the hardened seats in the heads, so I should be okay with the unleaded gas.

Comment

• ncbird
          Experienced
          • Jan 5 2008

Be awaree of Ethanol

One caveat is to stay away from ethanol fuel especially if the car sits. Our small engine reps are warning against ethanol in lawn equipment that is carburated because of damage they are seeing. Ethanol seperates over time and the moisture is causing problems. Additves help but I only use non ethanol in anything I have with a carb.
          Grant
          NCbird on the Coast of NC
          "Dads Bird" for my father

Comment

• djberson
            Experienced
            • Jun 10 2012

And good luck finding any without ethanol! It is basically nonexistant.

Comment

• simplyconnected
              Administrator
              • May 26 2009

Grant and Jordan are both on the money. Ethanol sucks up water faster than scotch. Then, the good stuff quickly evaporates which quickly leaves fuel that is terrible.

The point is, try to keep your fuel as fresh as you can. Expect gas more than a few months old to be far inferior.

The good news is, ethanol keeps water out of your gas tank so it's less likely to rust. We used to buy 'dry gas' in the winter because of condensation. No need any more.

Ethanol also dissolves varnish deposits in your carb. (It's in 'gas treatment'.)

If you ever do find ethanol-free gas, you will be amazed how much better your engine will run. The only places I know that sell it are marinas and airports. Both places will take your wallet for a ride.
              Member, Sons of the American Revolution

CLICK HERE to see my custom hydraulic roller 390 FE build.

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
              --Lee Iacocca

Comment

• KULTULZ

Originally posted by simplyconnected

Grant and Jordan are both on the money. Ethanol sucks up water faster than scotch. Then, the good stuff quickly evaporates which quickly leaves fuel that is terrible.

The point is, try to keep your fuel as fresh as you can. Expect gas more than a few months old to be far inferior.

The good news is, ethanol keeps water out of your gas tank so it's less likely to rust. We used to buy 'dry gas' in the winter because of condensation. No need any more.

Ethanol also dissolves varnish deposits in your carb. (It's in 'gas treatment'.)

If you ever do find ethanol-free gas, you will be amazed how much better your engine will run. The only places I know that sell it are marinas and airports. Both places will take your wallet for a ride.

Ethanol draws water out of the atmosphere. It is OK to use with fuel systems that have closed emission tank systems, but when used in an early carbureted car (pre-1973) can cause serious fuel system problems.

Also, methanol dissolving varnish in an older fuel system cause quite a few problems.

TECH ARTICLES-

The formulation that makes up today’s gasoline blend contains ethanol (vs. MTBE) to enhance combustion. Ethanol boils at 160 degrees. Carburetors have atmospheric (bowl) vents and they allow fuel vapors to escape and reduce the fuel level in the carb fuel bowl(s). This is especially true after an engine, which has been running at operating temperature has been shut down. The under hood temps at this point well exceed 170 degrees and the carb will percolate most of if not all the fuel out into the atmosphere.

There is also increased chance of vapor lock, (aka BLEND SEPARATION). This is when the fuel actually vaporizes in the steel fuel line, preventing the carb fuel bowl(s) from maintaining needed volume, leaning out and stalling the engine.

Fuel injected cars have a closed evaporative emission system and does not have these issues with the new gasoline blends.

The above text has been taken and condensed from the below website-
                http://www.studebaker-info.org/tech/...orization.html

It is the most concise and easy to understand explanation I have come across.

-UPDATING YOUR FUEL SYSTEM FOR ETHANOL (CLICK HERE)-

Isopropyl alcohol is a major ingredient in "gas dryer" fuel additives. In significant quantities, water is a problem in fuel tanks, as it separates from the gasoline, and can freeze in the supply lines at cold temperatures. It does not remove water from gasoline; rather, the alcohol solubilizes water in gasoline. Once soluble, water does not pose the same risk as insoluble water as it will no longer accumulate in the supply lines and freeze. Isopropyl alcohol is often sold in aerosol cans as a windshield de-icer. Isopropyl alcohol is also used to remove brake fluid traces from hydraulic braking systems, so that the brake fluid (usually DOT 3, DOT 4 or mineral oil) does not contaminate the brake pads, which would result in poor braking.
                SOURCE- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Isopropyl_alcohol

-STA-BIL FUEL STABILIZER (CLICK HERE)-

Gasoline without methanol added can usually be found in rural/agricultural areas for farm equipment.
                Last edited by Guest; June 20, 2013, 10:04 PM.

Comment

• simplyconnected
                  Administrator
                  • May 26 2009

Originally posted by ncbird
                  One caveat is to stay away from ethanol fuel especially if the car sits. Our small engine reps are warning against ethanol in lawn equipment that is carburated because of damage they are seeing. Ethanol seperates over time and the moisture is causing problems. Additves help but I only use non ethanol in anything I have with a carb.
                  I agree, Grant. Ethanol absorbs moisture from wherever it can until saturation sets in, much the same as DOT-3 brake fluid.

My home backup generator is completely dry when not in use. Sometimes I go years between power outages, sometimes only one month. Adding more crap to the gas only complicates matters. I keep fresh gas on hand in five gallon containers. When they get a couple months old, I feed them to my cars then refill the containers with fresh gas.

Last week, Detroit experienced the highest gas prices in the country. Robin & I didn't buy any until the price came down because I have good gas in reserve. - Dave
                  Member, Sons of the American Revolution

CLICK HERE to see my custom hydraulic roller 390 FE build.

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
                  --Lee Iacocca

Comment

• ncbird
                    Experienced
                    • Jan 5 2008

sound advice

All my small engine items are kept dry when not in use. My generator (hurricanes) pressure washer etc are run dry. We are lucky here on the coast because non ethanol gasoline is easy to find. Most all of our premium is ethanol free and some stations have all ethanol free. We have a large contingent of trailer boats so that may be the reason. Our on water gas is all ethanol free at the marinas. I do use additives for my small engines as a habit I developed with the boat since they do sit. I think with our cars a suggestion is to keep the tank close to full and to watch the fuel hoses since ethanol can eat early rubber hoses. I am sure glad I have the govt looking out for me, gas that damages my fuel system and diesel that eats orings.
                    Grant
                    NCbird on the Coast of NC
                    "Dads Bird" for my father

Comment

• KULTULZ

Originally posted by ncbird

I think with our cars a suggestion is to keep the tank close to full and to watch the fuel hoses since ethanol can eat early rubber hoses.

I am sure glad I have the govt looking out for me, gas that damages my fuel system and diesel that eats orings.
                      Todays fuel is blended for the current automotive industry, which is EFI and EVAP EMISSIONS. It would be too costly (and against most current regulations) to have non-ethanol fuel readily available to all users. You are lucky in that it is available in your area.

The older car hobby has to adapt to current tech, not the other way around. Our health and the environment depend on it. Remember all of the wives tales regarding leaded fuel (and no, I am not a tree huger)?

Today there are more than 40 different EPA-approved fuel blends used in the U.S. – formulations made from sources as diverse as soybeans, coconuts, corn, and used cooking oil. These blends all help the environment by reducing pollution and dependence on fossil fuels, but have a negative effect on automotive and small engine fuel systems. These new fuel blends aggressively degrade general-purpose fuel hose, causing it to deteriorate. Plus, general-purpose fuel hose allows more hydrocarbons to be released into the atmosphere. Degraded hose particles can contaminate and obstruct fuel injectors, which can affect fuel system monitoring sensors and decrease engine efficiency.

That’s why Gates developed Barricade Fuel Line Hose – it withstands today’s aggressive fuel blends and significantly reduces permeation utilizing our patent-pending GreenShield® barrier layer technology and inner tube made of synthetic rubber compounds.

-Barricade Fuel Line Hose-

(Low Pressure FI Hose Can And Should Be Used On Carburetor Systems)

-SUNOCO 100 OCTANE-

Comment

Working...
                      😀
                      🥰
                      🤢
                      😎
                      😡
                      👍
                      👎