X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Hazegray53
    Apprentice
    • Jan 9 2015

Pertronix 1.5 or 3 ohm coil

I bought a 3 ohm coil for my 60 sunliner with 352 not knowing that the instructions were going to tell me the 3 ohm is not recommended for V8's. So will the 3 ohm work or do I need to get the 1.5?
  • simplyconnected
    Administrator
    • May 26 2009

The only function Pertronix performs is to short your coil to ground when spark should happen. Your points did exactly the same thing, but mechanically. Also, Pertronix uses no condenser.

Pertronix offers their own coils with different internal resistance called, 'Flame throwers', that should be used with a properly sized ballast resistor (if any at all). (Call Pertronix for ballast sizing.)

You can use your OEM coil and ballast resistor BUT make sure your Pertronix unit is fed with NON-resistor wire that comes from +12 volts (on the red wire to your distributor). - Dave
    Member, Sons of the American Revolution

CLICK HERE to see my custom hydraulic roller 390 FE build.

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
    --Lee Iacocca

Comment

• Hazegray53
      Apprentice
      • Jan 9 2015

I have the flamethrower 3 ohm coil. Will it work properly when I bypass the resistance wire or do I need the flamethrower 1.5 ohm coil?

Comment

• simplyconnected
        Administrator
        • May 26 2009

Your shop manual says the OEM coil has a primary resistance of:
        1.4-1.54 ohms.

It also says your OEM ballast resistor should measure:
        1.3-1.4 ohms.

If the Flame Thrower is a 1.5 ohm coil, it is the same as your original coil and it will work well with your original ballast resistor.

For proper ballast resistance on the 3 ohm Flame Thrower, call Pertronix. To me, it looks suspiciously like an 'internal resistance' coil because if I add the OEM ballast resistance and the OEM coil resistance, I come up with about three ohms. - Dave
        Member, Sons of the American Revolution

CLICK HERE to see my custom hydraulic roller 390 FE build.

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
        --Lee Iacocca

Comment

Working...
        😀
        🥰
        🤢
        😎
        😡
        👍
        👎