Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My Attempt at Getting the Booster to Fit in a Convertible with Tall Valve Covers

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • lawyercalif
    Experienced
    • May 12 2011

My Attempt at Getting the Booster to Fit in a Convertible with Tall Valve Covers

Since I put the new engine in my convertible I have very little clearance on the drivers side to put in the booster and M/C, in addition I have Tall Custom Valve Covers. I am using an old Bendix Bracket and the Jeep Extender to get past the A/C Plenum, but I need to move the whole thing over to the left several inches.

So here are pictures of what I am attempting. I have made a bracket out of aluminum to rotate the whole thing 25 degrees, this brings it over a couple of inches. I have only tried it on my parts car so far since my convertible is still in the garage finishing the engine trans swap.

The first picture show what the bracket and booster look like in normal position.

The next pictures show how it looks moved over. I still need to make an additional bracket to bring the M/C upright but I already have that figured out just havent made it yet.

The final pictures are of the bracket itself. I am still in the experimental stage, but I think it just might work. The only change I would make if I was to make another bracket is to take advantage of that fifth bolt up top.
    Attached Files
  • simplyconnected
    Administrator
    • May 26 2009

Fabulous work, Dan. This idea is exactly what the Baby Bird guys need for their setup. Pulling the booster over and up is the key. Then they can trash the hydrovac unit and use a vacuum booster which will service both front and rear systems.

It looks like you could use a much higher firewall bracket for better clearance. I see you already have ideas for straightening out the M/C angle. There is plenty of room where the Jeep bracket is, for another angle change.

Great work. - Dave
    Member, Sons of the American Revolution

CLICK HERE to see my custom hydraulic roller 390 FE build.

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
    --Lee Iacocca

Comment

• lawyercalif
      Experienced
      • May 12 2011

I used the bendix unit cause it is all I have. However if it still does not clear my tall valve covers I will make a taller unit such as the one Howard made. There is a lot more room to go left if it was higher.

I am adapting the Jeep bracket to rotate the booster so the M/C is straight.
      Attached are a couple of pictures. I just need to weld on a couple of ears for two bolts to go through.
      '
      As for the hockey stick, I am trying one that uses a tube to slip right over the stock push rod, with possibly an adjustment bolt down the front of the tube to adjust pedal height. That way I don't have to tear under the dash to remove the pedal rod.
      Attached Files
      Last edited by lawyercalif; May 5, 2012, 01:50 PM.

Comment

• lawyercalif
        Experienced
        • May 12 2011

Just an update. Here is my prototype of an adjustable hockey stick that does not require removing the old push rod under the dash if you have the Kelsey Hayes unit. This one is made of a hollow tube with an adjustable bolt which merely slips over the original one.

First picture is the original, next pictures show prototype hockey stick. My thanks to Partsetal and YellowRose for their help.
        Attached Files
        Last edited by lawyercalif; May 13, 2012, 12:43 PM.

Comment

Working...
        😀
        🥰
        🤢
        😎
        😡
        👍
        👎