X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Alexander
    Webmaster
    • Oct 30 2002

1958 Golde Top Thunderbird

I have obtained factory photos of a 1958 Thunderbird Golde Top! It even has the same wind bar as the 1960.

At least one of these cars was made, as it is a photograph. It may have been a prototype for the 1960.

I will post pictures this weekend of this car on the main website.

Alexander
    1959 Hardtop
    1960 Golde Top
    Alexander
    1959 Hard Top
    1960 Golde Top
    sigpic
  • Alexander
    Webmaster
    • Oct 30 2002

RE: 1958 Golde Top Thunderbird

Pictures of this unusual car are posted at: http://www.squarebirds.org/1958_golde_top.htm . Thanks to Sandy Block for letting me know about this rare brochure.

Alexander
    1959 Hardtop
    1960 Golde Top
    Alexander
    1959 Hard Top
    1960 Golde Top
    sigpic

Comment

• Rockin Kev
      Experienced
      • Oct 31 2002

Alex
      I enjoyed the Golde site and are wondering now where that 58 is or if it still exsist! In Alan Tast book they show a 59 with a sunroof and the report states that this 59 was the test car for the sunroof. So may be the 58 was an aftermarket private order by the 58s owner and Golde Company took a photo for a later customer brochure?. I also see a 62 Jaguar with the convertion and a friend in our local car club who owns a Jag was surprised when he seen the site and is now looking back at old car asessory books for some more adds. As i have owned a 59 Galaxie a Golde top on this model would have been a sucess due to the same roof line as a T-Bird and i thick Galaxie owners would agree.
      But i must say that if the roof was powered as it was avalible by Golde this would have been a very nice finishing touch with a fully option Bird.
      Kevin.

Comment

• Alexander
        Webmaster
        • Oct 30 2002

There is no exact way of knowing when that brochure was printed. I think it is late fifties as no 1960's models are shown.

I too wonder if this 1958 Thunderbird Golde Top still exists.

Alexander
        1959 Hardtop
        1960 Golde Top
        Alexander
        1959 Hard Top
        1960 Golde Top
        sigpic

Comment

• Alexander
          Webmaster
          • Oct 30 2002

Incidentally, in December of 2001, I tried to get some Golde Top sunroof parts off a Jaguar in an Eastern Long Island junkyard, but unfortunately, the roof was partially crushed so I could not get it open.

Curiously, two Jaguars with sunroofs were right near a 1959 Thunderbird.

What year and model Jaguar is in this picture?

Alexander
          1959 Hardtop
          1960 Golde Top
          Alexander
          1959 Hard Top
          1960 Golde Top
          sigpic

Comment

• Rockin Kev
            Experienced
            • Oct 31 2002

There were the odd British car maker in the Fifties selling sunroofs like Rileys & Wolsleys and Daimlers and the odd Armstrongs these were all Steel tops!.As for the scraped Jag its a 53/54 model MKVII. So did Jag have the mark series before Lincoln!!!!.
            Now in the Golde brochure the Jag is a Mark 2 model started production in 61! so this mite tell us the age of the brochure.
            Kev.

Comment

• Alexander
              Webmaster
              • Oct 30 2002

RE: Golde Top brochure vs product guide

I think we need to differentiate between the Golde Top brochure and the Golde Top product guide. What I refer to as the brochure is printed in color and shows no cars of the sixties. The black and white product guide is a separate sheet. This product guide may have been printed later the brochure to keep the accompanying brochure current.

Alexander
              1959 Hardtop
              1960 Golde Top
              Alexander
              1959 Hard Top
              1960 Golde Top
              sigpic

Comment

• SandyBoy
                Super-Experienced
                • Oct 31 2002

RE: Golde Top brochure vs product guide

Alexander, I see you got the brochure I made you aware of. Looks good. Check out the 1958 T-B in it. It appears to be wearing some form of cloth simulated convertible roof. It looks "wrinkled"or textured, rather than smooth as would paint. It also looks to be a darker shade the the body. Can you explain this? Might they had thought about REALLY putting on a Gold Vinyl Roof? Unlike other in the folder, it IS a photo - not a drawing....Could our joke really have been a possible reality, at some point in design?? Ummm

S A N D Y

Comment

• Rockin Kev
                  Experienced
                  • Oct 31 2002

Hi Alex,
                  Long time no posts, yeh i know but have been busy, also workin on the Goldie, and she is lookin cherry. Was hoping to have her done soon for my Sweden trip , but that will have to wait till next year and the beer with Eric.
                  Now i have been talkin with some yank car owner friends here in England, and one is still workin for Ford in Birmingham England, and is aware of the Golde Company and there new office in Birmingham.
                  He is familier with the Sunroof 60Birds, and found out they First opened a Detroit office in mid 1957!. Now he can recall from friends at Golde Birmingham that they were converting cars on private order in late 57 and did approch Ford to see if they could get there Sunroof on the 58s!. So may be the photo of the 58 you have was a private customer who may have loaned it back to Golde for a photo shot?.
                  Kevin 60 Golde Top
                  Thunderbirds of England.
                  ps
                  The site is a great sucess, thanks for your great efforts welldone.

Comment

• Alexander
                    Webmaster
                    • Oct 30 2002

Thanks for the update Kevin.

You were one of the first people to come to this site and help make it a success.

Alexander
                    1959 Hardtop
                    1960 Golde Top
                    Alexander
                    1959 Hard Top
                    1960 Golde Top
                    sigpic

Comment

Working...
                    😀
                    🥰
                    🤢