X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Bentmore60
    Apprentice
    • Nov 20 2017

Master cylinder/booster

Does anyone know what dual master cylinder/booster upgrade would fit with and connect to the brake pedal ? Been searching although have not seen much choices. 1960 Bird without AC, has power brakes. Please comment
  • jopizz
    Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

If you are looking for a modern master cylinder/booster combination that requires no modification or fabrication there is none. The Technical Resource Library has all the information regarding what booster to use and what fabrication is needed for it to fit a Squarebird. There are numerous threads that show exactly what's required with detailed pictures.

John
    John Pizzi - Squarebirds Administrator

Thunderbird Registry #36223
    jopizz@squarebirds.org 856-779-9695

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm

Comment

• simplyconnected
      Administrator
      • May 26 2009

Originally posted by Bentmore60
      Does anyone know what dual master cylinder/booster upgrade would fit with and connect to the brake pedal ? Been searching although have not seen much choices. 1960 Bird without AC, has power brakes. Please comment
      There is an upgrade that will help a lot but it requires a departure from 'pure stock'. To me, 'safety' rules supreme over everything else so I will explain.

Drum brakes are inadequate if you drive among lighter, more modern cars with disk brakes.

You can install a larger booster with a dual M/C on your drum brakes (which will help somewhat) but you still end up with drum brakes.

A better approach is to fit your Squarebird with front power disk brakes. Several of our members did this conversion themselves. The results are amazing.

Power disk brakes produce the same braking as a modern car. I have done this in two of my classic Ford cars. I never heard of a single case where anyone went back to drum brakes.

The conversion costs about $750 but it is by far the best upgrade for a Squarebird. We are using common production parts (pads, calipers, rotors, booster and master) that are available over the counter, across the USA.

John is telling you straight. Go to the Technical Resource Library for more information. There is a ton. - Dave
      Member, Sons of the American Revolution

CLICK HERE to see my custom hydraulic roller 390 FE build.

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
      --Lee Iacocca

Comment

• del
        Retired Expert Enthusiast
        • May 11 2010

you can do it!

Originally posted by Bentmore60
        Hi Bent,
        I did the disc conversion on my T-Bird which was equipped exactly like your car last spring and I'm very happy with it. I went with the mustang rotor, S10 caliper option to keep my stock spindles. The only fabrication necessary was making the 2" spacers between the firewall bracket and the new booster. Not difficult just need to measure where the holes need to be. I got some bone yard 14" rims off a 90's Ranger P/U. Had to grind just a bit off the calipers to get wheels to fit. IMO - a very worthwhile project. BTW - on a scale of 1-10 where 10 is ace mechanic skills, I'm about a 3. Good Luck!
        Attached Files
        Regards,
        Don Vincent
        Amherst NY
        1960 HT 352
        TBird Registry 34042

Comment

• DKheld
          Super-Experienced
          • Aug 27 2008

Another option is to have the current booster rebuilt and front changed to accept a dual master cyl.

Advantages:
          No changes to the pedal system, brackets, etc. Looks more original.
          Disadvantages:
          Cost more than the replacement boosters, less boost pressure than the replacements (although I haven't noticed a big difference), would cost more to repair or replace.

Booster Dewy http://boosterdeweyexchange.com/ was doing the full rebuild and modification but that was some years back - may have to check with him to be sure. I did mine like that over 10 years ago and the booster is still working great.

After the booster face change you can use a Granada, Mustang or similar master cyl depending on whether you stick with the drum system or change to front discs.

Changing to front discs really made a difference in how the car stops. One of the best upgrades you'll ever make although you will need different wheels to clear the snout on the disc rotor and a few other modifications. Just something you'll have to decide but definitely check the TRL - here's a link.....
          http://www.squarebirds.org/picture_g...ibrary/trl.htm

Comment

• Deanj
            Super-Experienced
            • Nov 26 2015

The part number is 9787 for a power booster and duel master at ABS Brakes. I used this to convert regular brakes to power.

Dean

Comment

Working...
            😀
            🥰
            🤢
            😎
            😡
            👍
            👎