X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • scumdog
    Super-Experienced

• May 12 2006

Originally posted by simplyconnected
    Unless you deliver phone books out of your trunk, I would stay away from air shocks. Their purpose is to lift and greatly stiffen your suspension by charging the shocks with air.

Six progressive leafs should offer all the lift you need. Good shocks control the ride.

In several of my 'hobby' cars I've had the springs flattened a tad and an extra leaf put in and added stiffer shocks
    This made for a ride hight about the same but gave a firmer, flatter ride.
    A Thunderbirder from the Land of the Long White Cloud.

Comment

• simplyconnected
      Administrator
      • May 26 2009

Many years ago my next door neighbor, Ed Cieslak (God rest his soul), was a truck driver but he had a heart attack. The company he worked for loved him and would not let him go. They made Ed their Dispatcher, a position he tolerated but everyone knew he wanted to drive.

Ed had a new silver-gray Ford Granada which was a far cry from a truck. He had an extra leaf installed on each side, "to improve the ride" as he said. The car never hauled anything heavier than a fishing pole and his wife. I could tell you stories and keep you riveted all day. He also taught me a lot even after I thought I had life figured out.

Eddie taught me to use my outside mirrors when backing up and since that day I never turn around in the driver's seat to look back.

Eddie was a WWII veteran who fought in the US Army in Alaska as one of "Buckner's B@$tards", as they were called.

His wife (nee, Josephina Alonzie) was as Italian as Eddie was Polish and neither family ever understood the other although they loved each other and strictly attended Catholic Church together.

When Eddie retired, Josephina had a 'honey do' list ready and waiting for him every morning. She had him planting and weeding behind the garage in addition to countless other jobs. Eddie was in the Army but after working hard for a few good hours and about half way down the list, he swore like a sailor, telling her how 'basic training' tried killing him, the Japanese tried killing him, his heart tried killing him, and now SHE's trying to kill him. Then he'd jump in his Granada and head for the VFW (Veterans of Foreign Wars), where he was a Life Member. Ed would have one (and only one) then head back home.

She had him on a short leash but he never strayed far. Ed had a toilet installed in his basement for when he came in dirty from weeding. When the bathroom door was closed, Vanna White was staring at you from a three foot poster. Sometimes Eddie would light up a cigarette, take a few drags then he'd top it and come out. Josephina never said a word because otherwise, he didn't smoke.

Early every Friday morning, Eddie and his VFW buddy went fishing in the Detroit River. Scores of people fish the banks of the Detroit River. This one day, Eddie caught a huge cat fish. Just as he was about to throw this 'ugly bottom feeder' back in, one of the black fishermen stopped him and said, "Hey man, I'll take that fish."
      Eddie says, "If I gave you this fish what would you do with it?" Now, all of a sudden Eddie finds great value in a fish he never considered edible for the past 70 years. In the mean time, the black fisherman told him full instructions on how to nail it to a tree, skin it using pliers and how to grill it on a bed of onions on the barbeque. So, Eddie brings it home.

I'm in my back yard looking over the fence to witness Ed, trying to club this big ugly catfish as he's cussin' up a storm, telling it to 'quit floppin' around and hold still' but in much stronger language. Then he nails it to the tree and says to me, "Dave, have you ever eaten catfish?" I said, "No." Then he tells me his fish story as he's skinning it and he chuckles and says, "Sometimes you just gotta make believe." I will never forget those words.

That fish fed Eddie & I AND our wives with the best tasting fish we ever had.

So if you're inclined to add a couple leafs in your stack of springs, <snicker>, sometimes you just gotta make believe and go for it. - Dave
      Member, Sons of the American Revolution

CLICK HERE to see my custom hydraulic roller 390 FE build.

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
      --Lee Iacocca

Comment

• Restifier52
        Experienced
        • Jul 26 2011

It has been said here before: Dave you should write a book!
        1960 HT
        Thunderbird Registry #35780

Comment

• Randy
          Experienced
          • Dec 21 2015

Originally posted by Restifier52
          It has been said here before: Dave you should write a book!
          I don't buy books to often but Dave's , l'd get two and give one away.
          And you know what Dave would tell you? Wait till next week they're on sale
          "You're never too old to become younger".! (M. West)
          Randy's Save the Bird Foundation in Beautiful Fallbrook, California

!.This is the Greatest Square on Earth.!

Comment

• sidewalkman
            Super-Experienced
            • Sep 14 2015

As an FYI, I did a price comparison between McVeighs and Larry's. If you factor in shipping Larry's comes out a bit cheaper.
            Scott
            South Delta, BC, Canada
            1960 White T-Bird, PS, PB that's it
            Red Leather Interior!
            www.squarebirds.org/users/sidewalkman
            Thunderbird Registry #61266
            http://www.squarebirds.org/picture_g...ibrary/trl.htm

Comment

• StealthSRT10
              Experienced
              • Jun 7 2017

fair warning! count how many leafs you have currently and how many the new ones come with. I bought some new leaf springs thinking it would fix my sagging problem and it actually made it worse. The new leafs only came with 5 and my originals had 6. So a couple hundred bucks down and ended up just flipping the shackles.
              1959 Thunderbird 397ci
              Cruise-O-Matic
              Flamingo Pink.
              Thunderbird Registry #8442
              Daily driver

Comment

• simplyconnected
                Administrator
                • May 26 2009

Where did you buy your springs?
                We have a good vendor in our list who sells quality 6-leaf springs. I know because I have two sets from McVeigh in Michigan. - Dave

--Lee Iacocca

Comment

• YellowRose
                  Super-Experienced

• Jan 21 2008

Sagging rear end &amp; Shock Absorbers

You will find their contact information and website in the Technical Resource Library (TRL)....

Ray Clark - Squarebirds Administrator
                  The Terminator..... VTCI #11178 ITC #6000 Yellow Mustang Registry (YMR) #12188
                  Contact me via Private Message for my email address, or Call (Cell) 210-875-1411

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm
                  Faye's Ovarian Cancer Memorial Website.
                  https://faye.rayclark.info/index.html

Comment

• StealthSRT10
                    Experienced
                    • Jun 7 2017

I bought them from larrys tbirds. Not saying that there was anything wrong with them. And he offered to take a return but shipping them back would have cost almost as much as the springs themself. I have bought many things from Larry and not knocking him at all.

was just making a point if you want firmer leaf springs then would go a different route than i did is all. Another t bird member on here lives down the street from me and he said he just went to a leaf spring shop and had them make them for about the same price if i recall. i like the ones he has i think it was like 4 or 5 but they were thick leafs.

Where did you buy your springs?
                    We have a good vendor in our list who sells quality 6-leaf springs. I know because I have two sets from McVeigh in Michigan. - Dave
                    1959 Thunderbird 397ci
                    Cruise-O-Matic
                    Flamingo Pink.
                    Thunderbird Registry #8442
                    Daily driver

Comment

• OX1
                      Super-Experienced
                      • Feb 10 2016

Originally posted by StealthSRT10
                      fair warning! count how many leafs you have currently and how many the new ones come with. I bought some new leaf springs thinking it would fix my sagging problem and it actually made it worse. The new leafs only came with 5 and my originals had 6. So a couple hundred bucks down and ended up just flipping the shackles.
                      Anyone ever make an add-a-leaf? I swear mine have 7 and it seems to sit high in the rear. None of the leaves look non-factory though.

59-430-HT

Comment

• simplyconnected
                        Administrator
                        • May 26 2009

My neighbor was a retired trucker. He added a leaf to his Granada because that's the ride he really wanted.

Some cars came with a single leaf. Stacked leaf springs are 'progressive' meaning, the inner springs do nothing until a load is encountered. Then, support gets progressively more stiff. Coil springs and torsion bars don't work as well with this feature as stacked leaf springs.

Springs determine the ride height. Shock absorbers determine how smooth the ride is. - Dave

--Lee Iacocca

Comment

• OUR5T8BIRD
                          Experienced
                          • Mar 1 2017

My neighbor was a retired trucker. He added a leaf to his Granada because that's the ride he really wanted.

Some cars came with a single leaf. Stacked leaf springs are 'progressive' meaning, the inner springs do nothing until a load is encountered. Then, support gets progressively more stiff. Coil springs and torsion bars don't work as well with this feature as stacked leaf springs.

Springs determine the ride height. Shock absorbers determine how smooth the ride is. - Dave
                          Seem to remember something with this load requirement being an exception . Went to enquire about new springs at Special Interest autos years ago for our '66 and the owner had two NOS sets . One had the extra leaf and he said that was for the trailer option . Must check the blue bible .

Comment

• 430bird60
                            Experienced
                            • Dec 30 2008

I'm looking for front and rear shocks for my 60 with the 430 engine. I contacted Monroe and was informed that they do not produce the 37191 shock any longer although Rock Auto still may have them. Anyone using the Monroe 5801 under the 430 engine, if so, how is the ride? Has anyone tried KYB shocks? Thanks, Ken

Comment

• sidewalkman
                              Super-Experienced
                              • Sep 14 2015

I used the Monroes on both front and back, and was really disappointed in them, mushy ride, after 1.5 years I decided to go with air shocks in the rear since with 4 people it really sagged, more a spring issue than shocks but when I pulled the Monroes they were done! I could compress them easily with no effort. They got decent reviews when I bought them but IMHO are just not up to the task!
                              Scott
                              South Delta, BC, Canada
                              1960 White T-Bird, PS, PB that's it
                              Red Leather Interior!
                              www.squarebirds.org/users/sidewalkman
                              Thunderbird Registry #61266
                              http://www.squarebirds.org/picture_g...ibrary/trl.htm

Comment

• simplyconnected
                                Administrator
                                • May 26 2009

I suggest you visit this thread:

This pertains to shocks that work well. Most places push 'classic ride' which to me is nothing but mushy and not at all like the car's ride from the factory. - Dave

--Lee Iacocca

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎