Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jopizz
    Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

I hope that your problem is fixed permanently. Even though I like to kid Dave he's the master at improvising. However, if the bead is that badly damaged I suspect that any repair may be temporary. If the car is only used occasionally you are probably ok. If it was me I'd save up to buy another matching tire and use the damaged one as a spare. I hope you took pictures of the damaged bead. I would try and get some money back due to negligence.

John
    John Pizzi - Squarebirds Administrator

Thunderbird Registry #36223
    jopizz@squarebirds.org 856-779-9695

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm

Comment

• Deanj
      Super-Experienced
      • Nov 26 2015

Originally posted by jopizz
      I hope you took pictures of the damaged bead. I would try and get some money back due to negligence.

John
      I was an independent insurance claims adjuster as well as a company claims adjuster. Top it off as a SVP with an independent claims adjustment company.

Product claim recovery involves the theories of strict liability, breach of warranty, and negligence. This will involve a lot of finger pointing and denial. I would notify the shop whose insurance carrier should place Coker on notice. Neither carrier will want to take the lead to settle the claim. Coker will say this tire left their factory defect free, and so the shop must have been negligent in the bead damage. The carrier for the shop will claim the tire had a latent defect. The topper will be how the RTV or myself has contributed to it's condition.

It's been my experience that current insurance carrier adjusters will investigate squat on a $200 property damage claim.

I would say let's hope the repair holds because this represents a ton of work for me to recover any money.

Dean

Comment

• jopizz
        Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

Originally posted by Deanj
        I would say let's hope the repair holds because this represents a ton of work for me to recover any money.

Dean
        I understand where you're coming from but that wouldn't stop me from putting up one heck of a fight. If I couldn't get $200 back in cash I would make sure I caused them much more than $200 in aggravation.

John

Comment

• pbf777
          Experienced
          • Jan 9 2016

I'm not looking at the damage to the tire, but particularly, any obvious visual external damage to a tire's sidewall or as described bead surface is to be reviewed with concern. When considering what can be, particularly when improperly executed, the somewhat stressful process of mounting & dismounting the tire which invoked such damage, one should be concerned for the possibility of "hidden" damage, particularly to what I will define as the cording material about the bead area encased.

Any responsible tire company/manufacturer I am aware of, would advise that in the case of ANY physical damage incurred as you have described in the mounting process would deem that tire should be discarded, for safety reasons.

And, I find it unbelievable, in this day and age, if only for the concern of lawsuits (forget customer service), that the establishment whom provided the sub-standard mounting service, would shoulder the exposure for the sum of $200.00?

Now, with all that stated, I am somewhat "thrifty" at times, and perhaps, I would attempt to utilize this damaged unit for a spare, anticipating that it may never see service?

Scott.

Comment

• Deanj
            Super-Experienced
            • Nov 26 2015

Originally posted by pbf777
            Any responsible tire company/manufacturer I am aware of, would advise that in the case of ANY physical damage incurred as you have described in the mounting process would deem that tire should be discarded, for safety reasons.

Scott.
            Just when I felt comfortable with the process used to eliminate the small leak, here's the Devil's Advocate. Not that I don't appreciate advice, but you would have thought if the shop owner felt this situation dangerous, then he should have stated so much.

There's no external damage nor deformities of any kind outside the wheel. The leak around the bead was small requiring air once a week. It has withstood a freeway run and back roads test so far.

I can't predict the future, but the possibilities are:

1). Nothing
            2). Reoccurring small leak
            3). Catastrophic loss

A manufacturer without inspecting the tire would make this same conclusion. Are there any experts that want to speak up?

Dean

Comment

• jopizz
              Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

None of us can predict the future. You are probably correct that the chance of a catastrophic failure is very slim. However to be on the safe side I would put that tire on the rear. If the worst does happen you won't lose total steering control.

As for the shop caring what happens I doubt they would lose any sleep over you having a tire failure. If they cared they wouldn't have tried mounting the tire multiple times knowing the bead was damaged.

John

Comment

• Deanj
                Super-Experienced
                • Nov 26 2015

Thanks John. I sent an email to Coker Tire explaining the situation and asking for advice and/or action. I explained how I purchased the tires, price, who mounted, when, mileage then and now. I explained when the problem was discovered, what was done, and my concerns. Funny, I was willing to accept this situation, but if something like this happened on my 2016 Challenger RT Classic with 20" performance tires, I would have said: No Way!

Dean

Comment

• simplyconnected
                  Administrator
                  • May 26 2009

Are you having issues?
                  If not, come on... we have all had a nail in our tire that did cause a slow leak. That's not something that poses a big surprise. And as far as that is concerned, yes our tire stores fix that for free.

Let's examine that for a minute. A nail is usually in the crown which flexes with every revolution. The bead never flexes and is reinforced with several layers of wire surrounded by rubber.

Where is the concern? BTW, it is very common for a rusty rim to develop yet another rim leak later on down the road as rust re-establishes itself. Again, I wouldn't worry about it until you come to that bridge.

And finally, what tire store isn't in business to sell more tires? Here's how bad it gets... I brought a tire, laying in my trunk, to the tire store for air. The guy looks at the side and declares, "This tire is over SIX years old! We cannot take responsibility for 'working on it'." Yeah right, so I took the same tire to the corner gas station where they pumped it up for free.

Hey, if you decide to scrap the tire, I will gladly take it. - Dave
                  Member, Sons of the American Revolution

CLICK HERE to see my custom hydraulic roller 390 FE build.

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
                  --Lee Iacocca

Comment

• jopizz
                    Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

Dean,

I'm glad to see that you are pursuing it. I hate it when people accept incompetence as the norm.

John

Comment

• jopizz
                      Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

Originally posted by simplyconnected
                      Where is the concern? BTW, it is very common for a rusty rim to develop yet another rim leak later on down the road as rust re-establishes itself. Again, I wouldn't worry about it until you come to that bridge.
                      If you read the entire thread you will see that Dean replaced the rusty rim a with a new rim and the problem is with the tire bead, not the rim.

John

Comment

• simplyconnected
                        Administrator
                        • May 26 2009

Originally posted by simplyconnected
                        ...BTW, it is very common for a rusty rim to develop yet another rim leak later on down the road as rust re-establishes itself...
                        Originally posted by jopizz
                        If you read the entire thread you will see that Dean replaced the rusty rim a with a new rim and the problem is with the tire bead, not the rim.

John
                        Yes John but I wasn't talking about HIS rim. I was talking about ANY rusty rim. It's still a common occurrence. I've seen this happen to alloy wheels as well. Once corrosion starts, that rotary wire brush they use at the tire store doesn't help for long. They still try cleaning the rim and they still remount the same tire on it. - Dave
                        Member, Sons of the American Revolution

CLICK HERE to see my custom hydraulic roller 390 FE build.

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
                        --Lee Iacocca

Comment

• jopizz
                          Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

Lets hope that Dean can get some money back from Tire Rack for damaging his tire so this whole discussion becomes a moot point.

John

Comment

• Deanj
                            Super-Experienced
                            • Nov 26 2015

I apologize if I led anyone to believe it was the Tire Rack who mounted these tires. I thought I said this local shop was recommended by Tire Rack in their website. I have purchased Winter tires for my daily driver from Tire Rack and had these mounted by this same local shop, also.This incident will cut ties with the shop.

If I were Coker or their insurance adjuster, I'd realize the claimant, me, is probably not any percentage at fault. Knowing it's a $250 product liability claim that could lead to injury, I would replace the tire after talking to claimant (me), have the defective tire inspected by my field representative, and try to determine if the shop was at fault through documenting their mounting procedures. Then I'd tell my superiors if the insurance carrier for the shop will not reimburse us, it not worth the T&E pursuing a $250 claim.

I wish more adjusters thought like me. Many will incur thousands of dollars in expenses defending a loser claim.

Dean

Comment

• pbf777
                              Experienced
                              • Jan 9 2016

Where is the concern? ................... Again, I wouldn't worry about it until you come to that bridge.Dave[/QUOTE]

............OR DITCH!!!!!!!!!!

Scott.

Comment

• Deanj
                                Super-Experienced
                                • Nov 26 2015

Originally posted by pbf777
                                Where is the concern? ................... Again, I wouldn't worry about it until you come to that bridge.Dave
                                ............OR DITCH!!!!!!!!!!

Scott.[/QUOTE]

The tire is still under warranty. That alone should start to address my issues before we even get to product liability and negligence.

Some members of this forum see it your way and some think a bogus bead is unacceptable. I got time.

Dean

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎