Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Question on positioning yellow wire for Power Seats, and windshield washer hoses

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • grobb284
    • Oct 11 2010

Question on positioning yellow wire for Power Seats, and windshield washer hoses

Question on positioning yellow wire for Power Seats: Does it go as is into the 4 metal clips on the top of the firewall, with the taped harness, or does it stay out of the metal clips and just secured to the taped harness with the three metal ty-raps?

Question on windshield washer hoses, do they go into the four metal clips on the top of the firewall, or does it stay out of the metal clips and just secured to the taped harness with the metal ty-raps?
  • simplyconnected
    Administrator
    • May 26 2009

Yellow means full +12-volts and usually UN-fused. It should be well insulated and supported at close intervals. The use of metal tyraps scares me. I would rather see you use plastic or nylon. Wires wrapped into a harness is a good idea that works well. Use Split Loom or Braided Loom and tape the ends of the loom. - Dave
    Member, Sons of the American Revolution

CLICK HERE to see my custom hydraulic roller 390 FE build.

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
    --Lee Iacocca

Comment

• tmjsong1aolcom
      Experienced
      • Mar 31 2004

Part of the answer to your ?? is which year bird do you own?

Have different ways of attaching the pieces depending on the year.

Good Luck
      Fuz
      58's&64's
      Sun Prairie, Wi
      tmjsong1@aol.com

Comment

• grobb284
        • Oct 11 2010

It is a 1958 Thunderbird

Comment

• jopizz
          Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

On my '59 the wire that comes off the power seat circuit breaker goes into the metal clips AND the metal straps. The washer hoses only go into the metal straps. My engine compartment is all original so I'm pretty sure it came from the factory that way.
          John Pizzi - Squarebirds Administrator

Thunderbird Registry #36223
          jopizz@squarebirds.org 856-779-9695

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm

Comment

• grobb284
            • Oct 11 2010

Originally posted by jopizz
            On my '59 the wire that comes off the power seat circuit breaker goes into the metal clips AND the metal straps. The washer hoses only go into the metal straps. My engine compartment is all original so I'm pretty sure it came from the factory that way.
            Thanks for the information as to how the factory did this.
            On the 1958 the circuit breaker is under the dash. Is your (1959) circuit breaker near the starter solenoid? That would offer better protection for that circuit, in particular for that large yellow wire.

We're thinking of putting the circuit protection near the origin at the starter solenoid.

Thanks for responding.

Comment

• jopizz
              Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

Do you have power windows. Normally the circuit breaker is on the power window relay on the firewall. I have a 58 and 59 convertible and both have power windows and power driver's seat. I've never had a car with a power seat and no power windows so I'm not sure where it would be.

Comment

• grobb284
                • Oct 11 2010

Sorry, no power windows.

I'm thinking, for safety, to put circuit protection at the starter solenoid where the large yellow wire orignates. This is directly to the battery, and could be a disaster, with no protection.

Comment

• jopizz
                  Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

The wiring diagram shows that's where it is on non-power window cars so that's probably the safest place.

Comment

• simplyconnected
                    Administrator
                    • May 26 2009

Gene, you're absolutely right. But our Ford founders insisted on having the start/run circuit UNprotected (I guess to eliminate fuse or breaker nuisance failures). Their philosophy was, 'let the wire burn, but get me off these railroad tracks'.

For a circuit like 'seats' or 'windows', I'm with you. I have seen plenty of circuit breakers fail but I have yet to see a name brand fuse fail. Without overcurrent protection, the WIRE becomes the fuse.

You may use a modern ATC fuse, stabbed with crimp connectors, mounted close to the source (starter solenoid post, in this case). If the wire is #12, I would fuse for 25-amps since the wires are in 'open air'. Del City sells these fuses with indicator lights for fifty cents.

Modern cars are fusing the alternators because an internnal diode could short. Since modern alternators output over 100-amps, the fuse is ~125-amps, mounted on the fender apron. If the fuse blows, the car will run off the battery for awhile.
                    Member, Sons of the American Revolution

CLICK HERE to see my custom hydraulic roller 390 FE build.

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
                    --Lee Iacocca

Comment

• tmjsong1aolcom
                      Experienced
                      • Mar 31 2004

58 Bird

If I read the posts correctly your 58 bird only has a power drivers seat??

If so there is no yellow wire from the starter solenoid to the circuit breaker.

Ford used a black heavy guage wire that runs along the metal clips on the inner fender lip. and thru the firewall on the Pass side. The circuit breaker is mounted under the dash for power seat equipped cars only. Why black you ask. Unknown just know that is what Ford used.

I am speaking about 58 only as there were changes in 59 and 60. Unfamaliar with their actual set ups.

The yellow wire was used when the bird was equipped with power windows alone and when equipped with both PW and PS.

Let me know if I have read your emails correctly. As for a power passenger seat on a 58, I am still trying to find an actual car with documented option of passenger power seat.

Good Luck
                      Fuz
                      58's&64's
                      tmjsong1@aol.com
                      Sun Prairie, Wi.

Comment

• tmjsong1aolcom
                        Experienced
                        • Mar 31 2004

Washer Hoses

For 58 they are run along the inner fender and are attached to the inner fender using al. straps.

On the lower lip of the inner fender you will see 2 slits on wither end. The straps are attached to these and they hold the washer hoses sort of secure. I do have pics of the actual configuration but they are on my home computer and I will be on the island of Yap until the end of March.

Good Luck
                        Fuz
                        58's&64's
                        Sun Prairie, Wi
                        tmjsong1@aol.com

Comment

• YellowRose
                          Super-Experienced

• Jan 21 2008

Hi Fuz! I see you are visiting Yap again! I hope that you are having an enjoyable trip. If this information is in the OFS, I can get it and post it for him. I will go back and read his original question and see if I can find it.

Ray Clark - Squarebirds Administrator
                          The Terminator..... VTCI #11178 ITC #6000 Yellow Mustang Registry (YMR) #12188
                          Contact me via Private Message for my email address, or Call (Cell) 210-875-1411

Faye's Ovarian Cancer Memorial Website.
                          https://faye.rayclark.info/index.html

Comment

Working...
                          😀
                          🥰
                          🤢
                          😎
                          😡
                          👍
                          👎