X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jopizz
    Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

Originally posted by Geoffreybusuttilmalta

Do i need a special tool to remove the handle please ...

Srry for asking but i'm new to this model (:

Regards
    If you are referring to the inside door handle, yes you need a special tool. It looks like this:
    Attached Files
    John Pizzi - Squarebirds Administrator

Thunderbird Registry #36223
    jopizz@squarebirds.org 856-779-9695

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm

Comment

• YellowRose
      Super-Experienced

• Jan 21 2008

Heater Control

Geoffrey, I did some googling for ya and found a site where you can download a copy of the 1959 Squarebird Shop Manual for a fee. $16.95 payable by credit card, or PayPal. Once bought, you will be able to go through it and look up the information for removing the heater core. Here is the link and there are others also, if you google 1959 Squarebird Shop Manual in PDF format.

http://www.fordthunderbirdshopmanual...rd-shop-manual

That special tool for the door handle can be ordered from many of our Tbird parts houses. They are all listed in the Advertisements Forum. Email them and ask for their free catalogs.

Ray Clark - Squarebirds Administrator
      The Terminator..... VTCI #11178 ITC #6000 Yellow Mustang Registry (YMR) #12188
      Contact me via Private Message for my email address, or Call (Cell) 210-875-1411

Faye's Ovarian Cancer Memorial Website.
      https://faye.rayclark.info/index.html

Comment

• Geoffreybusuttilmalta
        Experienced
        • Dec 9 2014

Wow you are really amazing guys i'm really pleased to have found this .. For the heater i will do that on my xmas holidays and yepp i've downloaded that too )

Think i need to buy a set of barrels because one of them doesnt turn at all and the other turns but the door wont lock...

I'll keep you informed on the process.. Lets get it out of the garage in fully fun tional condition ((:

Comment

• tbird430
          Super-Experienced
          • Jun 18 2007

I'd recommend removing the right front seat- More room.

Also you will need new coolant, distilled water, & a new gasket for the heater control valve to the heater core itself. The ORIGINAL heater control valve bolts directly to the heater core (under dash & behind glove box). There is also a newer cable style "replacement" valve, which most people change over to. These mount outside under the hood, on passanger side, inline with one of the large rubber heater core hoses.

Good luck & take your time...
          sigpic
          The 1960 Ford Thunderbird. The WORLD'S most wanted car....

VTCI Member#6287.

Comment

• Geoffreybusuttilmalta
            Experienced
            • Dec 9 2014

Cool hints currently im just trying to see what certain jobs involves
            As i will start with the essential ones , tomorrow i'll ho to a locksmith
            Coz i phoned the guy at tbird nest and asked him if theres a way to determine if the locks are worn out, and he told me that a good locksmith
            Can do that for me

Apparently drivers side key goes in but no left or right movement
            And roght side goes in and even left and right but door wont lock or open

Comment

• YellowRose
              Super-Experienced

• Jan 21 2008

Heater Control

Hi Geoffrey, good luck with getting the locks fixed. I see you called the Bird Nest. Don, Fred and the guys there have always been a tremendous help to me when I was restoring my '59 Tbird. They still are whenever I have a question regarding something that comes up on this Forum that I do not know the answer to. The same applies to the Bird House, in Delaware.

We here on the Forum have great respect for those of you overseas from us who are Tbird owners. You have the additional difficulties of not have salvage yards to go to for parts for our American cars. Plus you have the greatly increased expenses of having parts shipped to you, with little local availability to them. We will continue to do whatever we can to help you out. I suggest that you go through the Advertisements Forum and contact them by email or through their websites, asking them for their free catalogs. Once received, they will give you the opportunity to do price comparisons and availability between the various vendors.

Keep in mind that our members have helped us build a pretty good Technical Resource Library (TRL) especially for the Squarebirds. The link to it is always right below my signature link. So if you are looking for particular information, check out the TRL and see if we have it covered. You will find the wiring diagrams for your Squarebird there also.

Whatever you need, post it here and let our many terrific techies help you troubleshoot it. When working on something take one problem at a time and work through it. Don't start a number of different projects at the same time. Take plenty of pictures to refer back to before tearing into something. Put small parts in marked containers so that you will be able to find them easily when it comes time to put things back together. As a Paid Member, now you can post pictures directly on our server, showing us problem areas that you might be working on. Pictures help us troubleshoot your problems. If you do not know how to post pictures on here, let me know and I can send you some instructions. Right down below this box I am typing in is a section called Additional Options that as a Paid Member you should now be seeing. One of those options is Manage Attachments and that is where you go to when you want to post pictures.

Good luck with your restoration and repairs!

Contact me via Private Message for my email address, or Call (Cell) 210-875-1411

Comment

• Dan Leavens
                Moderator / Administrator

• Oct 4 2006

Geoffrey also welcome to our truly international site where you will find some of the most knowledgeable birders around.

As Ray has mentioned these guys / gals are good and can assist on just about any issue that you may have with your 59 to get it ready for February. Remember the TRL is a wealth of information that has been collected over the years by our members.
                Dano Calgary,Alberta Canada
                Thunderbird Registry
                58HT #33317
                60 HT (Sold )

Comment

• YellowRose
                  Super-Experienced

• Jan 21 2008

Heater Control

Geoffrey, I meant to tell you that of the many excellent Tbird techies we have on this Forum, there is one in particular that you will want to know about. Carl Heller ~ partsetal, is a Squarebird owner who has several parts cars and a ton of parts for the Squarebird at his disposal. He knows Squarebirds inside and out. He ships Squarebird parts all over the world. So when you are looking for parts, consider sending Carl a Private Message or email to see what he has that you might need.

Comment

• tbird430
                    Super-Experienced
                    • Jun 18 2007

I bet money that you will be needing a replacment POT METAL "fork" on the right front door lock cylinder.

They slide onto the ends of the lock cylinder & actuate the latch mechanism. Both of mine where broken off & laying down inside the door shell..

-Jon in TX.
                    sigpic
                    The 1960 Ford Thunderbird. The WORLD'S most wanted car....

VTCI Member#6287.

Comment

• Geoffreybusuttilmalta
                      Experienced
                      • Dec 9 2014

regarding the heater core ... .

hey there. much appreciated as always guys...

I ordered new locks for the bird which should be here in a week`s time now, along with some other parts...

in the meantime i`m checkin out the heater parts.. i noticed that the manifold hole was plugged..

i also managed to have a quick look at the heater core. following some instructions from the 60`bird manual.. i managed to ... but am concerned about the parts attached to the core.. as i removed all the screws from the cover. is it difficult to remove the core? coz i really wouldnt like to damage other parts u know ... still i do think it needs replacement. coz when once i had the system plugged on my austin mini ... it was due to leakage from the heater core...

slowly slowly getting there.. heres a picture of the plug i told you about... Is there any fitting for sale or its just a threaded pipe? so that rubber pipe can be attached to it?

thanks guys ... i also posted a photo of my 59 bird hope you can see it guys

two.JPG

one.JPG

Comment

heater control valve

I found a leak in my cooling system which originated from the heater control valve. The seal is fine but the input tube to the heater control valve at the firewall was rotted and broken causing coolant to seep through heater hose in the engine bay.

Now here's my question. Where can I find the exterior Heater valve that mounts in the engine bay?.

My current heater valve is cable operated.

Comment

• toddgilroy
                          Experienced
                          • Aug 30 2014

Most of the Tbird vendors have the new valve that mounts in the engine bay. They also have the longer cable that you will need, too.
                          Todd Gilroy
                          1960 Tbird Convertible
                          Thunderbird Registry #54651

Comment

• lexdownunder
                            Apprentice
                            • Sep 7 2010

heater control valve

Hi Dan
                            Larry's has the heater core valve kit listed as B18495A for $75.95. I believe this is the valve and also the new longer cable required.

Lex

Comment

• Buckaroo
                              Experienced
                              • Jul 24 2013

Be certain to check for leaks on the new elbow that attaches to the heater core before you re-install the heater core. I did not and the new elbow leaked due to poor soldering. I received a new elbow and that was the same way. I had to get it soldered locally so it wouldn't leak. Attach the elbow to the heater core, plug the inlet and outlet and submerse in water. Watch for bubbles. I did complain to the supplier about the issue so maybe the manufacturer improved his process. Also, the new elbow did not line up exactly with the hole in the firewall. Or it could have been the new heater core. I had to slightly enlarge the hole in the firewall.
                              Dena & Dennis Gorder
                              1958 Coupe
                              Registry # 3422

Comment

• Tbird1044
                                Super-Experienced
                                • Jul 31 2012

My brand new heater core leaked also. I also ended up resoldering the connection to repair. Very good suggestion to test it prior to installation.
                                Nyles

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎