X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • 1960Bird
    Experienced
    • Dec 4 2002

Speedometer

OK, you all helped me fix my clock, it has now been running for over twenty four hours, (Absolutely Amazing)...How about my speedometer cable, how do you change that? Can you pull the speedometer the same way as the clock?

1960 HT 390, Edelbrock Performer RPM Intake, Shorty Headers, 2-1/2" Exhaust and 3.70 Rear Gears
    390, Mild Cam, Headers, 3.70 rear, 2-1/2" Exhaust, Edelbrok Performer RPM Intake, Holley Street Avenger 670 Carburetor, One Wire Alt, Petronix Ignition. She's All Go and No Show.
  • Alexander
    Webmaster
    • Oct 30 2002

RE: Speedometer

Basically it is the same procedure. Pull out the bezel, then unscrew the four black hex-head screws. Pull back the speedometer a couple of inches. Unscrew by hand the coupling for the speedometer cable from behind the speedometer. Pull out the three dash bulbs and the high beam indicator bulb.

One the speedometer is out, you can pull the speedometer cable straight out of its sheath. Lubricate the cable with liquid graphite lube, silicon lube or other lubricant specifically made for speedometer cables.

Alexander
    1959 Hardtop
    1960 Golde Top
    Alexander
    1959 Hard Top
    1960 Golde Top
    sigpic

Comment

• 1960Bird
      Experienced
      • Dec 4 2002

Well, that all sounds easy enough Alexander, but now I have another question/problem. My speedometer is not working at all, so I am assuming that I will need a complete speedometer cable assembly. Here is the problem...I have 3.70 rear gears so the std. speedometer cable will not give me an accurate speed reading. What I am wondering, will the speedometer cable from the standard transmission work on a Cruise o matic, as the standard transmission set up also has 3.70 rear gears? Or is there just some way that I can change the speedometer gear to get the correct ratio?

Thanks in advance.

1960 HT 390, Edelbrock Performer RPM Intake, Shorty Headers, 2-1/2" Exhaust and 3.70 Rear Gears
      390, Mild Cam, Headers, 3.70 rear, 2-1/2" Exhaust, Edelbrok Performer RPM Intake, Holley Street Avenger 670 Carburetor, One Wire Alt, Petronix Ignition. She's All Go and No Show.

Comment

• Alexander
        Webmaster
        • Oct 30 2002

If your speedometer is not working at all, most probably the cable is broken. You need to remove the cable housing from the transmission. It is held on there by one bolt.

The cable does not determine the speedometer reasing. It is simply a flexible cable with square ends. There are two gears in the transmission that compensate for the rear end gearing of the car so that the speedometer reading is correct.

The shop manual specifies that for the 3.10 ratio, whcih is the ratio that come in the automatic with a 352 engine, the driven gear has 8 teeth and the drive gear has 18 teeth. For the 3.70 ratio, the driven gear has 7 teeth and the drive gear has 19 teeth.

The driven gear is held on the by the retaining clip at the cable housing end, so this is easy to replace. I am not sure if the drive gear can be replaced from the outside.

Alexander
        1959 Hardtop
        1960 Golde Top
        Alexander
        1959 Hard Top
        1960 Golde Top
        sigpic

Comment

• 1960Bird
          Experienced
          • Dec 4 2002

Alexander, thanks for the info.

Comment

HI
            i have a c6 with a 3.10 gear in a 1960 bird. the speedometer reads slow with the original 1960 gear. Anyone care to guess how many teeth i need? It appears to read 55 at 65 +/- a taste. The c6 was bought for a 1966 428 cu. Are there any 1966 3.10 gear ratio with the same size tires as the 1960.
            thanks
            mark

Comment

• Wazy
              • Feb 25 2009

Mark, a little off the subject, but what did you use for rear transmission mount with your C6?
              Thanks, Wazy

Comment

• YellowRose
                Super-Experienced

• Jan 21 2008

Speedometer

Hi Walt,

Mark has not posted anything for several years that I know of. Perhaps one of the guys who have gone the C6 route will be able to answer that question for you. Or use the Search engine and search for "C6 rear transmission mount" or "C6 transmission mount" You might find help there. I do not think we have anything on C6 installation in the Technical Resources Library above, but you might check it also.

Ray Clark - Squarebirds Administrator
                The Terminator..... VTCI #11178 ITC #6000 Yellow Mustang Registry (YMR) #12188
                Contact me via Private Message for my email address, or Call (Cell) 210-875-1411

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm
                Faye's Ovarian Cancer Memorial Website.
                https://faye.rayclark.info/index.html

Comment

Hey Wazy - When I mounted my c6 I had to move the x-member back about an inch or so. If memory serves me the everything virtually lined up same as the Cruise-O. Let me know if you have any other questions.

Thanks!!

Comment

Working...
                  😀
                  🥰
                  🤢
                  😎
                  😡
                  👍
                  👎