No announcement yet.

Engine hydro-locked ?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • KULTULZ

The starter motor is held with three cap screws.

The starters that you are show are for later model engines. The starter drive is different. Usually to use the later style starter motor, the flex-plate has to be upgraded to a later style though I have heard mention on the FE FORUM there is a starter drive available that will make the conversion possible on an early flywheel/flex-plate.

Do you understand the method of performing a voltage drop test? It will ID any defects and/or poor ground(s). You need to perform the test before actually pulling the starter motor.

Here is your remote starter bypass switch tool-

Comment

• Rock&Roll Firebird
      Experienced
      • Jun 20 2012

So... A bad news and a good news. The bad news is, the starter is dead (the motor is burned). The good news is that the cause of the slow/hard starting was not a wrapped engine.

Now, I'm going to order the new starter but there is a huge price difference here. Mac's and other TBird shops are selling the reman starters for around $150. On the Rockauto though, there is an offer on Pure Energy reman starter for $46 (inc. the core).

Can you give me your thoughts on the quality/price difference here?

The rest of my starter is in a good shape (according to my electrical guy) so I can use the rest for parts if needed.
      Attached Files

Comment

• jopizz
        Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

The one on Rock Auto does not include the drive. If you can reuse your old one then I would go with the one from Rock Auto.

John
        John Pizzi - Squarebirds Administrator

Thunderbird Registry #36223
        jopizz@squarebirds.org 856-779-9695

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm

Comment

• simplyconnected
          Administrator
          • May 26 2009

Originally posted by simplyconnected
          ...You can remove the starter motor and rebuild it or at least clean the internal components and determine the status of the components...
          This is preventive maintenance. New brushes cost US$8.00 new. I cannot help but think, if you pulled the starter motor at the first sign of trouble you might have saved it. When brushes wear, they arc and burn the commutator segments. Then, the starter motor is toast.

Sorry to hear about your troubles. I hope you do preventive maintenance on your other components (like your generator or alternator because both use brushes). - Dave
          Member, Sons of the American Revolution

CLICK HERE to see my custom hydraulic roller 390 FE build.

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
          --Lee Iacocca

Comment

• Rock&Roll Firebird
            Experienced
            • Jun 20 2012

Originally posted by simplyconnected
            This is preventive maintenance. New brushes cost US$8.00 new. I cannot help but think, if you pulled the starter motor at the first sign of trouble you might have saved it.
            I have the very same feeling Dave. Well, sometimes we need to learn from our mistakes. Hopefully, there will not be lot of similar situations in the future.

Speaking of the generator, I would definitely like to exchange it for an alternator. I know only about the Powermaster alternators to fit the Squarebirds directly but a) they are 'only' 90 amps (I'd like at least 100 amp one) and b) they are bloody expensive

Have you any tips on suitable alternative here?

Comment

• jopizz
              Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

As far as the alternator goes you have a number of choices. You can go with a Ford one wire alternator and an adapter bracket from C.R.A.P. that will fit your existing 352. With that you have a minimum of wiring to do. You can use a Ford alternator that uses an external regulator but that requires more involved wiring. You can also use a GM one wire or three wire alternator but you will have to use one of the generic mounting brackets that are sold or make your own. All of these alternators come in a variety of amps. Of course the more amps the more money they cost. I have a 75 amp GM three wire alternator in my '59 conv't with power windows and seat and it's plenty powerful enough. I am not a big fan of the generic mounting bracket that I bought as I had to do some extra modifications to get it stable enough and it still isn't perfect. The C.R.A.P. bracket requires that you use a Ford alternator. I would go that route if you can afford it.

John

Comment

• Rock&Roll Firebird
                Experienced
                • Jun 20 2012

Thank you for info John. The C.R.A.P. bracket looks fine although a bit expensive. I'd prefer a 3 wire alt connection though so I might go the same way as you did. What kind of bracket did you use and what are the imperfections you are writing about?

Comment

• jopizz
                  Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

This is similar to the bracket I bought. It bolts to the existing generator bracket. Many places sell the same one so look for the best price. One of the problems is that the long bracket that bolts to the water pump does not reach the bottom bolt of the new alternator. I had to make a small extension bracket to reach. Even with that I had a hard time keeping the belt tension as the whole unit wants to twist. I added another bracket which helped a little.

John

Comment

• Rock&Roll Firebird
                    Experienced
                    • Jun 20 2012

I looked on e-bay. The first one is the universal you are writing about John, I guess. Can you please take a look at those others, should they be suitable?

Bracket 1 (universal)

Bracket 2

Bracket 3

Comment

• KULTULZ

Originally posted by Rock&Roll Firebird

I looked on e-bay. The first one is the universal you are writing about John, I guess. Can you please take a look at those others, should they be suitable?
                      Nos 1 & 3 are for the most part junk.

No 2 is for a 1964/ FE block. It is also very expensive. C.R.A.P. makes a complete kit but all you need from them is the small right angle bracket that will allow the actual mounting bolt to be secured as the early FE is not drilled to accept the later ALT mounting bolt.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/390-406-427-...-/231014663726

CRITES RESTORATION should have the mounting brackets (take-off) and hardware. PAINLESS WIRING makes a ALT harness for easy changeover.
                      Attached Files
                      Last edited by YellowRose; July 22, 2013, 11:31 AM. Reason: Picture Exceeded 800x600 Limit

Comment

• Rock&Roll Firebird
                        Experienced
                        • Jun 20 2012

Thanks for all your tips boys, it's a great help indeed! Going to contact the suppliers and when done, the only thing left is to choose the right alternator which can be (if I understand it well) generic GM alt. And if so, that could be maybe purchased even locally in Europe... .

Comment

• KULTULZ

Originally posted by Rock&Roll Firebird

Thanks for all your tips boys, it's a great help indeed!

Going to contact the suppliers and when done, the only thing left is to choose the right alternator

which can be (if I understand it well) generic GM alt.
                          ...sigh...

Comment

• Rock&Roll Firebird
                            Experienced
                            • Jun 20 2012

Originally posted by KULTULZ
                            ...sigh...
                            What's that? Any recommendations on the alt?

Comment

Working...
                            😀
                            🥰
                            🤢
                            😎
                            😡
                            👍
                            👎