Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Drink Holder - Do I need to start designing one?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • square2100
    Apprentice
    • May 29 2018

Drink Holder - Do I need to start designing one?

Well I've exhausted my searching ability by searching for all of 5 minutes and I cannot find a cup holder addon for our cars (58-60) that would fit nicely on the center console.

Is anyone aware of a nice cup holder, preferably one with a cell phone holder as well? I know some people have actually modified their speaker compartment, but I really don't want to chop up the car.

If there isn't one out there, I think I might try to attempt one with a 3d printer, some pleather to wrap around it to make it look nice, and some nice metal cup holder inserts to make cleaning easy.

If I could design the perfect one, it would have matching pleather, soft pad underside to avoid scraping the existing console, chrome cup holder inserts, a cell phone stand/holder, and a small tray for random stuff.

Any other ideas on how we could design the perfect add-on console/drink holder?

My question right now is how can it fit on the existing console without sliding around. I'm thinking maybe it could have some teeth that slide down into the speaker grill.
  • del
    Retired Expert Enthusiast
    • May 11 2010

Personally, I'd pay $ for a cup holder that fit into the speaker area. I abandoned that speaker some time back, so to me the space is up for grabs and probably would be a better looking solution than something that drapes over the console. But that's just me. I thought that there was a thread sometime back about this but I could be wrong...
    Regards,
    Don Vincent
    Amherst NY
    1960 HT 352
    TBird Registry 34042

Comment

• Y-Blokkah
      Apprentice
      • Oct 4 2018

I was going to say something incredibly un-PC regarding my drink holder being 5’6” with long dark hair and dark eyes, but she’s probably slug me if she saw it, so I won’t.

Comment

• ssj335
        Experienced
        • Jul 13 2018

I have seen somebody create a cupholder in the speaker space. But because the depth is limited there, what was meant to be a cupholder ended up being more of an area to store loose change.

I saw another person so something that seemed a lot more useful. They took a cup holder that is usually used on a boat and painted it the same color as their car interior. It's weighted down (maybe by sand inside) so it doesn't shift around at all. But it is also removable you just place it on the center console and then take it away when you want to show the car off. That's the direction I'm leaning towards.

Comment

• ssj335
          Experienced
          • Jul 13 2018

Something like that

Comment

• square2100
            Apprentice
            • May 29 2018

Originally posted by ssj335
            I have seen somebody create a cupholder in the speaker space. But because the depth is limited there, what was meant to be a cupholder ended up being more of an area to store loose change.
            That's what I saw as well. It looks so shallow that it wouldn't work well in that location anyway.

Comment

• square2100
              Apprentice
              • May 29 2018

Originally posted by ssj335
              That looks like it would slide right off the moment you took any kind of turn. Even weighted, I don't see that preventing it from sliding off.

Comment

• square2100
                Apprentice
                • May 29 2018

Originally posted by Y-Blokkah
                I was going to say something incredibly un-PC regarding my drink holder being 5’6” with long dark hair and dark eyes, but she’s probably slug me if she saw it, so I won’t.

Well considering this is mostly my wife's car as it's the only one she wants to drive, I end up being the cup holder. That's why I'm brainstorming this to hopefully retire my position.

Comment

• ssj335
                  Experienced
                  • Jul 13 2018

The person I saw using it told me they never had a problem with sliding.

Here is another one - perhaps you could remove the speaker from console and insert the cup holder's plastic insert into that to prevent slippage.

Comment

• bygrace
                    Experienced
                    • Jul 27 2015

Seems like the best place for something to hang on might be between the seat and the console. (Where anything you drop ends up anyway.) Perhaps a wedge of semi-ridgid foam attached to the bottom of that boat holder.
                    My wife currently uses a center arm rest (actually, we fight over it) made of foam that sits atop the center console. A nice position for her elbow when steering. It's contoured to the dip in the console behind the window switches, and extends to rest against the back seat. It's covered in matching black vinyl. It stays in place with help of the three seats. I guess that might take a cupholder too. Downside? Gotta lift it to run the windows.

Comment

• bird 60
                      Super-Experienced
                      • Mar 18 2009

You could use velcro if you really wanted to. You'd also have to re-locate the speaker of course. I like Y-Blokkah's idea best. Mine is 5'5" blonde with brown eyes.

Chris.....From OZ.

Comment

• OX1
                        Super-Experienced
                        • Feb 10 2016

Originally posted by square2100
                        I end up being the cup holder.
                        Don't stick a McD's coffee down there, heard you can get some painful scorching in the "wrong" spots........
                        59-430-HT

Comment

• Derbird
                          • Jul 10 2016

I have seen something like this used before.

Comment

• Thunderherd
                            Apprentice
                            • Oct 22 2014

Originally posted by Derbird
                            I have seen something like this used before.
                            https://www.amazon.com/Custom-Access.../dp/B000WEPI4M
                            This is exactly what I'm using now. It works great. I've got it between the console and the passenger seat. It'll fit either way, but seems to work better when the round holes for the cups are sitting on the console, instead of sitting over the pass. seat. Don't sit exactly level, but it works good. And just take it out if you don't want it sitting there when not in use.

Comment

• Thunderherd
                              Apprentice
                              • Oct 22 2014

And almost forgot. I saw somewhere on this site, that somebody either made, or bought, a drink holder that had a flat bottom. Painted it to match the interior color. Then attached (glued ?) a magnet to the bottom of it. Then set it on the console in front of the speaker grill. It's removeable. And seems to work well. That's on my to do list.

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎