X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • 1965TbirdMan
    Apprentice
    • Mar 17 2010

Heater Core

Ok so back to the grind stone before i depart this summer and right now Im trying to get the interior all done before i go. So first things first taking out a leaking heater core before i go into new carpet headliner and all that stuff.

So i read in the book how to take the heater core out but I am having a hard time taking off the lower RH dash panel i have all visible screws out of the whole dash and have the chrome trim by the doors off and it feels like the whole dash is one piece. Looks like I still have bolts that are holding the clock windshield wiper and antenna cluster in place. So am i doing to much is this simple or am i just missing a few bolts somewhere.
  • RustyNCa
    Super-Experienced
    • May 31 2007

Originally posted by 1965TbirdMan
    Ok so back to the grind stone before i depart this summer and right now Im trying to get the interior all done before i go. So first things first taking out a leaking heater core before i go into new carpet headliner and all that stuff.

So i read in the book how to take the heater core out but I am having a hard time taking off the lower RH dash panel i have all visible screws out of the whole dash and have the chrome trim by the doors off and it feels like the whole dash is one piece. Looks like I still have bolts that are holding the clock windshield wiper and antenna cluster in place. So am i doing to much is this simple or am i just missing a few bolts somewhere.
    You got me, but I need to do the same thing, so when I post questions about it, try to remember how to do it.....

Comment

• redstangbob
      Experienced
      • Feb 18 2011

To get the right lower dash piece off remove the bolts from the lower ends with a 7/16 socket, and one Phillips screw, then pop off the lower stainless trim band to expose 3 Phillips screws. The heater core replacement is different for A/C or non A/C cars. Hope this helps, Bob C

Comment

• 1965TbirdMan
        Apprentice
        • Mar 17 2010

Well I got the dash panel off and and the bolts that hold the heater core in and the bolts around the blower motor that hold the heater to the dash that are under the hood. However in the book it says to ease the heater assembly to the ground well it seems like something is holding it in place on the left side of the heater assembly the right side moves pretty free but it feels like something is holding it. I dont know what wires besides the obvious three that i can see are attached to it i got the fresh air vent adjusting control cable off and im not sure what I am missing i dont want to try and pull to hard in fear of breaking something. Any thoughts from anyone. I could start removing everything around it but I really dont want to do more work than needed.

Comment

• 1965TbirdMan
          Apprentice
          • Mar 17 2010

I saw this on another site the core does seem to be pretty lose since i took these two nuts off. Any chance of this working? I will say for the record with my luck not looking good lol.

Removing the heater core - not a big problem. Remove the RH lower dash panel (stainless steel strip, three screws, two bolts). Then the heater housing cover (7 screws as I recall,all with 5/16"hex head). Move the bowden cable for the RH air vent out of the way. If the heater core has been removed before, there may only be 2 screws to remove to loosen the core from the housing. On the engine side of the fire wall, remove the heater hoses and 2 tin nuts above and below the hose connections (7/16"). Core comes out!
          But, if the heater core has 4 screws holding it to the housing, then you need to remove the other nuts on the engine side to remove the heater housing. Been there, done that!!

Comment

• 1965TbirdMan
            Apprentice
            • Mar 17 2010

Ok got the heater core it out it was rather simple after taking the nuts off by the heater hoses and taking the service panel to the heater assembly off it came right out. Looks like it was leaking somewhere on it not sure where. But I will be ordering the heater core soon if anyone knows where i can get a one cheaper than on the birds nest site please let me know thanks.

Comment

Working...
            😀
            🥰
            🤢
            😎
            😡
            👍
            👎