No announcement yet.

Need picture of self adjusters installed on drum brakes

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • KULTULZ

You should be able to source the springs (whether separately or in a kit) from the same vendor (WAGNER) as the adjuster kits. Years ago, the changeover kits in complete form were common. I think what you have gotten is just a service replacement hardware kit.

Let me look around and see what I can find.

Hold Down Kit- http://macsautoparts.com/ford-thunde...0R3CHL1118038/

Comment

• KULTULZ

This is frustrating...

It is difficult to chase down parts on the net as it seems each vendor has it's own interpretation and also use generic photos.

Simply put, it seems complete changeover kits that were once popular (along with kits that also removed the self-adjusting feature) are not available (or I can't find them).

Unless one has the takeoff parts from a later car (it seems 1961 was the beginning changeover year) (and this must have been an option) (although FORD offered self-adjusters on the 57 MERC and 1958 EDSEL - why not BIRD?) individual parts have to be sourced to retro-fit. In your case, 61/63 BIRD (IMO). (BTW- I have saved takeoff parts in a coffee can for years).

Ray did a nice job and maybe he can explain what all he had to do to arrive at his setup.

My solution (and this is open to opinion and debate) is to simply retrofit parts from a later car.

You can see from the illustrations below, each retracting spring is different and there is additional hardware one will need to come by. One would need a BENDIX/RAYBESTOS/WAGNER Vendor Parts Book to arrive @ everything needed.

Rear Drum Brake Asm Detail-

Frt/RR Drum Brake Asm Ill-

MPC 2035-

Last edited by Guest; September 20, 2012, 08:27 AM. Reason: Correct Illustrations

Comment

• KULTULZ

On the self-adjuster star wheels not aligning with the opening in the backing plate for adjustment, it seems to the original star wheels were RH thread. The self-adjusters are RH and LH and throws the star-adjuster off somewhat on one side. The difference is the early backing plate was not designed to allow for adjustment of the self-adjusted star wheels. The solution is to modify the opening or possibly use a later backing plate (IMO).

Ray, can you get a spoon into the one offset star to adjust the brakes?

Comment

• NYsquarebird58
          Experienced
          • Feb 6 2012

Gary, thanks for spending time on this.

Here are all the parts that came with my self adjuster kit. If I'm understanding correctly, I believe I am only missing one spring, correct?
          VTCI# 11860
          58HT - Thunderbird Registry Number: 37043 (Sold)

60HT - Thunderbird Registry Number: 37252 "Lucille" (Sold)

Comment

• KULTULZ

No, the upper retracting springs will also be different.

You need (IMO) to use the complete later BIRD (FORD) setup (except shoes) to arrive at the proper setup. The springs will have different tensions and the secondary spring will be of a smaller wire dia to fit within the cable guide.

The shoes (presently on car) will most likely be of later design (necessary number and positioning of hardware holes) due to earlier shoes being superseded by later design in the rebuilding process.

I am not saying the earlier style springs will not work but both designs are calibrated to each install.

I am waiting for other comments (Ray - Dave) before proceeding. It it were me, I would source the later springs and use those. I can give you FORD PN and you can source from there.

Be advised that to keep the self-adjusting feature working properly, initial adjustment is critical and the brakes should be cleaned, lubricated and manually adjusted annually. They are subject to freezing and will either not adjust properly or over adjust.

Is this four wheel drum or disc/drum?

Comment

• NYsquarebird58
              Experienced
              • Feb 6 2012

Yes, please, the part numbers would be a big help.
              VTCI# 11860

Comment

• KULTULZ

Ray,

It appears on the photo that your driver's side primary shoe retracting spring is rubbing the wheel cyl dust boot. It needs to be flipped or may be the wrong spring. It should clear the wheel cylinder as shown on the pass side.

Comment

• KULTULZ

Originally posted by NYsquarebird58

Yes, please, the part numbers would be a big help.
                  R U doing just the rear brakes or all four?

Comment

• NYsquarebird58
                    Experienced
                    • Feb 6 2012

Originally posted by KULTULZ
                    R U doing just the rear brakes or all four?
                    Just the rear. Thanks
                    VTCI# 11860

Comment

• KULTULZ

These are the PN's I think will work. They are from a 1961 to 1964 GALAXIE w/ self adjusters.

C0MM 2036-A Primary Shoe Retracting Spring 2 15/16" L
                      C0MM 2035-A Secondary Shoe Retracting Spring 4 19/32" L
                      C1SS 2049-A Brake Adjusting Screw Spring 3/4" D 3 1/8"L

I was going to PM you with illustrations but they are in my photo album with no jpg.

Please make sure they are fully operational before road test.

Looks like this is where you can find them. Just make sure they are quality parts and not CHI-COM-

Last edited by Guest; September 20, 2012, 10:25 AM. Reason: ADD SOURCE

Comment

• YellowRose
                        Super-Experienced

• Jan 21 2008

I just spoke with my buddy who put my self adjusters on for me. He said that you need to find a left and right adjuster set for a Ford car that has the same drum size as our Tbirds. In this case, I think our drum size is 11", but someone who knows for sure needs to confirm that. Gary suggested a 61/63 Tbird, but it could be a big Ford with the same drum size. I think we got ours from Autozone, and one of their guys there worked with him to find the right set for my Tbird. The left and right kit he got had all the springs in it for each side needed to put the adjusters on. As for getting a spoon in there to adjust them after they are on, after the initial adjusting, neither he nor I have adjusted them since.

Ray Clark - Squarebirds Administrator
                        The Terminator..... VTCI #11178 ITC #6000 Yellow Mustang Registry (YMR) #12188
                        Contact me via Private Message for my email address, or Call (Cell) 210-875-1411

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm
                        Faye's Ovarian Cancer Memorial Website.
                        https://faye.rayclark.info/index.html

Comment

• KULTULZ

Yeah Ray, all is for an 11" drum.

Comment

• NYsquarebird58
                            Experienced
                            • Feb 6 2012

You guys are awesome! I really appreciate all the help. This is what makes this forum so great. I'm replying using my phone so please excuse my short answers. I'll see if I can find the spring kits at the autoparts store on my way home from work today. Thanks again!
                            VTCI# 11860

Comment

• YellowRose
                              Super-Experienced

• Jan 21 2008

My buddy said that the self adjusting kits he bought had all the parts you need to do the job, including all the right springs. It was similar to what you bought, but included the springs. Good luck.

Ray Clark - Squarebirds Administrator
                              The Terminator..... VTCI #11178 ITC #6000 Yellow Mustang Registry (YMR) #12188
                              Contact me via Private Message for my email address, or Call (Cell) 210-875-1411

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm
                              Faye's Ovarian Cancer Memorial Website.
                              https://faye.rayclark.info/index.html

Comment

• NYsquarebird58
                                Experienced
                                • Feb 6 2012

OK, so I think have a solution. I just got back from Autozone and I ordered the complete spring kit for $8.99

Part# H7107

I could have just purchased the adjuster springs by themselves for $4.99, but they did not have any in stock at their local warehouse.

Part# H412

Here’s a pic of the spring that’s normally supposed to pull the bottom shoes together on squarebirds. There’s a big difference in the length of the “hooks” on the ends.

Once I pick up the new kits tomorrow, I’ll take a pic of both springs side by side for comparison purposes.

We’ll see how everything fits this weekend. Hopefully we don’t get rain.
                                VTCI# 11860

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎