X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Alexander
    Webmaster
    • Oct 30 2002

Originally posted by bcomo
    Here's a photo of what it looks like using roofing felt (aka Tar paper, roofing paper).

This is 3 sheets laminated with weatherstrip adhesive, cut 1/2" oversize to a paper pattern, then slipped in between the two hood panels -- held in place with quarter size dabs of silicon sealer under the tar paper. Cost about $30 total.

The color is off in the photo -- it's really not that light.

That looks much better than what I have. In fact, it looks very neat. What brand and type of tar paper is that - 15lb or 30lb? Will the tar paper withstand the engine heat, or will it ooze out tar?
    Alexander
    1959 Hard Top
    1960 Golde Top
    sigpic

Comment

• bcomo
      Super-Experienced
      • Sep 23 2005

I bought the roofing paper at Home Depot -- no special brand, probably 15 lb. IMO It's better to laminate several thinner pieces than it is to use one thick piece. The same reason that plywood is made with laminated sections. Laminated material resists sagging. I've had this on for 1 year and no sags or droops. Also very water-proof (40 days of rain in Texas so far). Tar does not ooze out, BUT it will smell like tar paper for about a week -- then nothing.

It is not affected by engine heat plus ambient temperature in Texas of 95 degrees. Actually, the engine heat initially helps the tar paper take a "set" to the contour of the hood.

I'll take a close-up of one of the sections, so you can see more detail, and post it on Thursday -- IF it doesn't rain again.

TIP: Cut three small squares and test fit the thickness between the hood pieces. The max thickness that you can use is governed by the smallest space between the hood pieces. In my case three pieces filled the area between the hood outside and inner structure in all places.

Painting: I didn't spray paint the tar paper. The inside of my factory trunk insulation is painted. I don't know if you can get an even spray on tar paper using spray paint-- maybe someone can try a one ft square test piece and let me know if they do this.
      Bart
      1960 Hard Top/430
      Thunderbird Registry Number 1231

Comment

• bcomo
        Super-Experienced
        • Sep 23 2005

Here is a close-up of one section.

Bart
        1960 Hard Top/430

Comment

• tbird430
          Super-Experienced
          • Jun 18 2007

I'm the 2nd owner of my 1960 TBird and it has never been wrecked. It still has the black UNPAINTED tar paper type material under the hood, 1 of the side peices had sagged down and was eatten by rats so I pulled it out a long time ago. Heck, I wish I had saved it now, I could had mailed it out to VTCI or someone....
          sigpic
          The 1960 Ford Thunderbird. The WORLD'S most wanted car....

VTCI Member#6287.

Comment

• bcomo
            Super-Experienced
            • Sep 23 2005

Does mine look close to what your original looks like?

If you could take a photo it would be great to compare. I think that your original insulation would be darker than what I did -- is that right?

Darned rats ---
            Bart
            1960 Hard Top/430

Comment

• Alexander
              Webmaster
              • Oct 30 2002

The original hood insulation was colored tan to black. They eliminated it sometime in 1960. From that point on, they just used dabs of caulking between the two layers of the hood to prevent vibration.

The hood insulation was painted in the factory, when they painted the hood. They did not mask it off. Depending on the color, there was some soak through the insulation, so on some cars, especially with lighter colors, it looks like the insulation was unpainted. Darker colors tended to discolor the insulation.
              Alexander
              1959 Hard Top
              1960 Golde Top
              sigpic

Comment

• bcomo
                Super-Experienced
                • Sep 23 2005

Alexander:

I know that my trunk was never repainted, so the painted insulation in my trunk should be from the factory.

So, what would be your call if you were me?

Spray paint the hood insulation, or leave it alone????
                Bart
                1960 Hard Top/430

Comment

• Alexander
                  Webmaster
                  • Oct 30 2002

I would mask off the insulation. The second spray painting of the insulation will color it more than the original spraying.
                  Alexander
                  1959 Hard Top
                  1960 Golde Top
                  sigpic

Comment

• bcomo
                    Super-Experienced
                    • Sep 23 2005

Alexander:

Sorry -- I'm not understanding that.

You are you saying is that you would mask the insulation and spray paint it with two coats of the black -- probably semi-gloss? Correct?
                    Bart
                    1960 Hard Top/430

Comment

• Alexander
                      Webmaster
                      • Oct 30 2002

From the photos, it looks like your car is black. You will probably see that your trunk insulation is black also, but has no gloss and has the texture of the of the original insulation. If you are repainting the inside of the trunk, mask off the insulation, and paint the metal parts the same gloss black color as the exterior. If you paint it without masking, the insulation will assume the gloss black color, which would not look right.
                      Alexander
                      1959 Hard Top
                      1960 Golde Top
                      sigpic

Comment

• bcomo
                        Super-Experienced
                        • Sep 23 2005

I guess my original question got garbled -- my old age.

My question is not with the trunk.

My question was - should I paint the hood insulation to make it darker, or should I leave it the way it is in the photo?
                        Bart
                        1960 Hard Top/430

Comment

• tbird430
                          Super-Experienced
                          • Jun 18 2007

My car is WHITE with black tar paper like insulation under hood and in the trunk. I don't remember any white "overspray" on this material, but I will look again and try and get some pics....
                          sigpic
                          The 1960 Ford Thunderbird. The WORLD'S most wanted car....

VTCI Member#6287.

Comment

• Alexander
                            Webmaster
                            • Oct 30 2002

Originally posted by bcomo
                            I guess my original question got garbled -- my old age.

My question is not with the trunk.

My question was - should I paint the hood insulation to make it darker, or should I leave it the way it is in the photo?
                            I would leave it the way it is. It looks neat.

If you feel compelled to do it the way they did it in the factory, I would first test out spraying black paint on a spare piece of tar paper. Put it against the hood. See if you like that look better than what you have now.
                            Alexander
                            1959 Hard Top
                            1960 Golde Top
                            sigpic

Comment

• bcomo
                              Super-Experienced
                              • Sep 23 2005

Jon -- Thanks. I'll look forward to seeing those pics. Would be be really interesting to see. No other 60 T-Birds here.

Alexander -- Thanks also. I have too few things to be compelled about these days
                              -- I'll probably wait untill tbird430 posts his pics, and then do a test piece as you suggest -- good idea.

Heck -- where else in the world can grown men get excited about reproducing original hood felt and what color it should be? Life is good; and this web site great !!!!
                              Bart
                              1960 Hard Top/430

Comment

• dgs
                                Super-Experienced
                                • Feb 13 2003

Originally posted by Alexander
                                The original hood insulation was colored tan to black. They eliminated it sometime in 1960. From that point on, they just used dabs of caulking between the two layers of the hood to prevent vibration.
                                Ah. I was going to comment that my '60, original except a repaint, has no insulation, only a few dabs of caulk type stuff. Mine was fairly late production, July 26th 1960. Among the last 10,000 Squarebirds made.
                                DGS (aka salguod)
                                1960 Convertible - Raven Black, Red leather
                                www.salguod.net

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎