X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Petrolhead
    Experienced
    • Jul 2 2007

Bagged 62 almost done

I was striving to get my '62 finished in time for a big road trip to the other end of New Zealand. Despite a string of 2 and 3am nights I didn't quite make it. One pic (the front shot) was taken on January 22, the day before we left.

We got back on Saturday evening (it's Monday morning here), i took it to a local hot rod breakfast on Sunday, it's first outing. It still needs its safety chack to be legally registered for the road, and there's some chrome trim to go back on, but what the ****, it was good to take it for its first cruise.

There was also a stock '62 and a lowered '61 there, we got to park together.

My '62 has stock drivetrain, stock interior, shaved door handles, trunk lock, badges and trim, and Air Ride shockwaves up front and Air Over leaf (with modifications) out back.

The paint is suede light green with a green metalflake roof.

When it's done and legal I'll do some more pics and chuck them up.

Cheers

Alistair
    Attached Files
  • Penelope
    Super-Experienced
    • Mar 4 2008

Great shots Alistair, and my congratulations to you on what has been a long haul. What is so impressive is the fact that you have done the whole lot yourself. It's a credit to you. You Kiwi's seem to be good at building cars as well as playing cricket... dammit!
    sigpicBill
    Thunderbird Registry 21903 & 33405

Comment

• tarps3
      Super-Experienced
      • Jul 21 2003

man I love the rear ends of those cars!!
      They really are marvelous designs throughout and aren't appreciated enough.

the dash and the way it wraps around the passengers is really stunning in my opinion.

Take some more pics when you have time!

nicely done!
      Casey

Comment

• Anders
        Super-Experienced
        • Jan 19 2008

Great looking car! And what a nice colour combo as well
        sigpic..."Lil darling Ruth":)
        http://www.tbirdregistry.com/#33158

Comment

• Petrolhead
          Experienced
          • Jul 2 2007

Originally posted by Anders Myrberg
          Great looking car! And what a nice colour combo as well

Thanks Anders. I've been away for a few weeks, any updates on how your garage is coming along?

Casey, I'll take some pics in the weekend. The interior's pretty well stock and tidy. Yep, I love the wrap-around design. pretty cool for 61-62

Cheers

Alistair

Comment

• tbird430
            Super-Experienced
            • Jun 18 2007

Another GREAT two-tone color combination!!!
            sigpic
            The 1960 Ford Thunderbird. The WORLD'S most wanted car....

VTCI Member#6287.

Comment

I also really like the looks of the back end of that series - looks like a rocket taking off. However I have almost as much dislike for the front end, neutralizing all of the ga-ga the back conjures up..........

Looks like you might have done some work with the front grille though as it looks pretty good..........

FWIW.......

Comment

• Petrolhead
                Experienced
                • Jul 2 2007

Originally posted by 49effie
                Looks like you might have done some work with the front grille though as it looks pretty good.
                Yep, I think the stock grille and overrider looks busy, so I made a tube grille using shower rail tubing from the Home Depot, left the nudge bar thingy off and shaved the hood badge, which kind cleaned up the front end. By law we have to run a front number plate, which will work against the clean look I was after.

Comment

• Anders
                  Super-Experienced
                  • Jan 19 2008

Originally posted by Petrolhead
                  Thanks Anders. I've been away for a few weeks, any updates on how your garage is coming along?

Casey, I'll take some pics in the weekend. The interior's pretty well stock and tidy. Yep, I love the wrap-around design. pretty cool for 61-62

Cheers

Alistair
                  Well, the side panels are up now, the garage door was installed yesterday, and I made it work today, and started with the electrics today as well. Just over midnight, and I came in a few minutes ago. Takes time this.....

Comment

• wannabe
                    • Jan 14 2009

updated pics

looks great alistair. what's the lowest ride height your car can manage during a cruise? i'm guessing at highway speeds, you're riding at full height. can't wait to see the finished product.

Comment

• Petrolhead
                      Experienced
                      • Jul 2 2007

Hi
                      Here's a pic of it from the weekend, it's pretty well done. Fender trim is on, stuck '53 Oldsmobile hubcaps on 15" wheels, with custom spun and chrome bullets.

It can drive in a straight line totally lowered, but it's riding on the bumpstops. Okay for low-speed cruising at a show; on the highway anywhere from quarter to half inflated height is fine. Shockwaves seem to ride and handle best at 100psi, 150psi is fully inflated so it's pretty well right on the money 90 to 100psi at ride height. Rear bags vary depending on passengers, 45psi with just me, 60 to 80 with four people.
                      I've also attached a pic of the car before it was painted, showing the extent to suspension travel

Cheers

alistair
                      Attached Files

Comment

• Dutchbird
                        Experienced

• Dec 20 2005

She looks awesome!!!
                        Beautiful unique ride you created, that's for sure!

Comment

• tbird430
                          Super-Experienced
                          • Jun 18 2007

I was going to suggest you turn those rear muffler to tailpipe clamps UP so they didn't drag on the studs!! LOL!!!

Just kidding with ya. She really looks nice, I'm glad you kept her two-tone as well, it just adds to her overall appearance.
                          sigpic
                          The 1960 Ford Thunderbird. The WORLD'S most wanted car....

VTCI Member#6287.

Comment

• Anders
                            Super-Experienced
                            • Jan 19 2008

I absoloutley LOVE that green/green car! Man, I want it!!! Be proud.
                            Wheels are AWESOME! What are they build from?

Comment

• Petrolhead
                              Experienced
                              • Jul 2 2007

Thanks for your nice comments guys

Anders, the wheels are just steel 15" Ford rims, with 1953 Oldsmobile hub caps off eBay. I had a metal spinner here spin the steel bullet centres. A steel disk with a nut welded to it was welded inside the bullet, then they were chromed. I drilled a hole in the centre of the hub caps (the Oldsmobile restorers want to shoot me now) and ran some threaded rod into the bullet, and a Nylock nut on the other end of the threaded rod inside of the hubcap to hold the bullet on securely.

Can't remember what brand the wide whitewall tyres are, but they measure 205/70x15, about the same overall height as the standard 14" rims with 205/75 x 14s

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎